What's up with Maui Ocean Center?

mooline

Just received this message from NCL regarding the Pride of America's Maui Ocean Center excursion for our June cruise:

We are reaching out to advise that your shore excursion, OGG_02 / MAUI OCEAN CENTER & 3D WHALE EXPERIENCE has been canceled due to operational needs. A full monetary refund of the fare paid is in process and will be automatically refunded to the original form of payment used at time of reservation; no further action is required. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Any of the Maui residents on this board know what might be up? I went on MOC's website and don't see any closures. 

Since this is an overnight port for us, our family members can do the trip on their own. Is the MOC served by Uber or Lyft?

Thanks to all for your help - as always!

The Maui Ocean Center's site doesn't list anything, and "operational needs" usually means staffing. So, my guess would be that NCL itself can't find any drivers to drive folks to the center. On the PoA Facebook page, a lot of people have been complaining that their NCL excursions are being cancelled due to operational needs.

It makes me glad that I'm planning to do our excursions directly with places and not through the cruise line.

@Ellis1138, thank you. I’m assuming NCL has to give a guarantee to the shorex operator, and there are too few signed up.

Even though this is an overnight in Maui and I’d be ok with an off ship excursion in that situation, I booked it through the ship for the convenience of a Grampy with a 6 year old in tow. The less he had to think about the better as he chases this bundle of energy!

• Like 1