Scotland/Edinburgh and excursions ??

zentraveler

[Aplolgies for the duplicate, but I posted this yesterday, saw that there was a ressponse and they both have disappeared for some reason!]

We are leaving on the Star Legend 5/23 for a 3 week trip to the British Isles and the Norwegian fjords and were looking at excursion options today and Windstar had nothing for Edinburgh - not one. Another major site has nothing either and What's In Port which has 1200 ports in what seems like every country and they don't even list Scotland!

Does anyone know what is up with this?? Seems beyond odd to me. (We will be there from 8 - 5 so it is not for lack of time.) I can't even imagine any reason for this.

3 minutes ago, zentraveler said:

[Aplolgies for the duplicate, but I posted this yesterday, saw that there was a ressponse and they both have disappeared for some reason!]

We are leaving on the Star Legend 5/23 for a 3 week trip to the British Isles and the Norwegian fjords and were looking at excursion options today and Windstar had nothing for Edinburgh - not one. Another major site has nothing either and What's In Port which has 1200 ports in what seems like every country and they don't even list Scotland!

Does anyone know what is up with this?? Seems beyond odd to me. (We will be there from 8 - 5 so it is not for lack of time.) I can't even imagine any reason for this.

https://www.whatsinport.com/Edinburgh.htm

and 

https://www.whatsinport.com/United-Kingdom.html

Edited by fruitmachine

2 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

Thank you and ah, I see. It is listed under United Kingdom. That certainly explains it, but still seems odd to me not to list by country and also that neither WS or the other company have excursions there as they seem to have them at every port. But I am sure we will make our own with this additional information!

13 minutes ago, zentraveler said:

Thank you and ah, I see. It is listed under United Kingdom. That certainly explains it, but still seems odd to me not to list by country and also that neither WS or the other company have excursions there as they seem to have them at every port. But I am sure we will make our own with this additional information!

The United Kingdom is the country recognised as a member state by the UN.

Scotland united with England under a single monarch (the Union of the Crowns) in 1603 when James VI of Scotland became James I of England.  And in 1707 the Treaty of Union combined the Kingdoms of Scotland & England into one kingdom named Great Britain.

Scotland's still a country, but perhaps not as you'd know it!

Edited by fruitmachine

7 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

The United Kingdom is the country recognised as a member state by the UN.

Scotland united with England under a single monarch (the Union of the Crowns) in 1603 when James VI of Scotland became James I of England.  And in 1707 the Treaty of Union combined the Kingdoms of Scotland & England into one kingdom named Great Britain.

Scotland's still a country, but perhaps not as you'd know it!

Thank you for that useful history lesson! Nice to learn something new every day. And it now understand why I could find Ireland but not Scotland or Wales.

• Like 1

June 4 is changeover day in Edinburgh and cruise lines often have no excursions on changeover day.  We, like you, have booked the 5/25 cruise (not 5/23) as one 20-day Star Collector cruise, but many will be leaving the ship on June 4 after a 10-day cruise and a new set of passengers will be boarding on the 4th for the next 10-day cruise.

4 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

June 4 is changeover day in Edinburgh and cruise lines often have no excursions on changeover day.  We, like you, have booked the 5/25 cruise (not 5/23) as one 20-day Star Collector cruise, but many will be leaving the ship on June 4 after a 10-day cruise and a new set of passengers will be boarding on the 4th for the next 10-day cruise.

Oops, yes. 5/25 for the cruise. We are flying on 5/23. Thanks for clearing up the changeover day; we have been on several cruises during changeover days but I have never noticed that there are no excursions those days.

What is a Star Collector cruise?

19 hours ago, zentraveler said:

Oops, yes. 5/25 for the cruise. We are flying on 5/23. Thanks for clearing up the changeover day; we have been on several cruises during changeover days but I have never noticed that there are no excursions those days.

What is a Star Collector cruise?

A Star Collector cruise is two shorter cruises packaged together and sold as one cruise.