N. Jade May 14 - May 21 Greece/Israel brief review

cwtravel

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

cwtravel was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Hello - I am currently sitting in the Athens Airport, having disembarked from the Norwegian Jade earlier this morning. This was cruise #45 for me and my 4th on Norwegian. This cruise met my expectations and in many ways exceeded them.

Pre-cruise: most of my group used the BOGO air offer thru NCL and all of the flights were on time, no issues. Everyone understood that NCL would pick the airline and people flying from the same airport would not necessarily be on the same flight. I decided to not use the BOGO promo (used Delta points to book Air France) for and had numerous changes in flights, times which resulted in multiple calls with Air France before things were straightened out. I would definitely use the BOGO flights, especially to/from Europe.

We had 2 nights in Athens pre-cruise and stayed at the Grand Hyatt Athens, which is also the hotel NCL uses for their pre-cruise package. I am a World of Hyatt member and thus booked directly with Hyatt and received early check in, late check out and a room with a beautiful Acropolis view. Overall very pleased with the Grand Hyatt and certainly will stay there again when in Athens.

I thought the ship was very well maintained and very clean. Food was good. I had a 2 meal speciality dining package and, at least for this trip, was not necessary. Used it for Le Bistro (good) and Cagney’s (very good). Service was very good and the crew was outstanding. Ports were good with the highlight being Ashdod and Haifa in Israel.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, we're on the Jade Sept 10, which will also be our 4th NCL cruise (my 34th overall). Also using the BOGO flights, which will be our first time using that promo. Hoping for the best with what they give us... yes, I've read the horror stories, but willing to make the best of it for the $2000 savings. We're staying at the Athens Gate Hotel two nights pre-cruise. Glad to hear the ship is well maintained and the food is good!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We're doing this cruise in August. 

Can you tell us what nights were the "dress up or not" nights?

How easy/difficult was it to get in and out of the port areas in Ashdod and Haifa?

What great timing on this review!

Although we are going on the Viva vs the Jade, we are cruising the same itinerary in June 2025. Thank you so much for your review as we know nothing about this area and very excited to start researching the ports especially the pre and post crew stay. I just googled the view from the Hyatt in Athens, and that will absolutely be where we are booking. Could not imagine a prettier location to end a cruise.

Thank you so much and look forward to following this thread. Warmest, Amy

Thanks so much for your review of the Jade, as there are not many reviews of this ship on CC.  We are looking forward to our first NCL cruise aboard this ship in 2024 and appreciate your positive review.  As others have mentioned, it’s unfortunate to see so many “negative” reviews (my understanding is that this is the case with other cruise lines as well) as I feel that many of the negative comments seem like nitpicking.  We are looking forward to our first cruise post pandemic and I’m hoping to see more Jade reviews on CC!  

18 hours ago, adonisr said:

We're doing this cruise in August. 

Can you tell us what nights were the "dress up or not" nights?

How easy/difficult was it to get in and out of the port areas in Ashdod and Haifa?

I do not believe there are any “dress up nights” on this or any other NCL cruises. This is a very port intensive cruise (especially the Israel stops) unlike say your typical Caribbean cruise. Feel free to dress up but fortunately there is no formal/smart casual, etc type evenings.

Getting in/out of both Ashdod and Haifa is a bit of a challenge as you must deal with Israel security and procedures at each port. Ashdod certainly took the longest, once off the ship you went into another building (think customs facility) where you line up, answer a few question & then go through metal detectors before being allowed out. The various tour companies were waiting in the public area.

Haifa took a little while just to get off the ship as the Israel security people were checking passports on the ship before going thru the metal detectors. It seemed to be pretty well organized but you will not just walk off the ship. I doubt you could walk out either port though there was/is a shuttle in Ashdod to a local mall where bus transportation is available.

The only real negative I had with NCL was the evening return at Patmos. Most guests returned around 10:30-11pm and the only place open for food was O’sheanes which could not handle the volume. I was surprised they did not have stuff in either the buffet or Great Outdoors.

Overall I thought it was a great cruise. I would certainly sail on the Jade again and for a Europe sailing would definitely use the BOGO air promo. If you read the kind of small number of people complaining about BOGO on this board the vast majority did not seem know or understand the terms and conditions with the air promo. 

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 4:00 PM, cwtravel said:

I do not believe there are any “dress up nights” on this or any other NCL cruises. This is a very port intensive cruise (especially the Israel stops) unlike say your typical Caribbean cruise. Feel free to dress up but fortunately there is no formal/smart casual, etc type evenings.

Getting in/out of both Ashdod and Haifa is a bit of a challenge as you must deal with Israel security and procedures at each port. Ashdod certainly took the longest, once off the ship you went into another building (think customs facility) where you line up, answer a few question & then go through metal detectors before being allowed out. The various tour companies were waiting in the public area.

Haifa took a little while just to get off the ship as the Israel security people were checking passports on the ship before going thru the metal detectors. It seemed to be pretty well organized but you will not just walk off the ship. I doubt you could walk out either port though there was/is a shuttle in Ashdod to a local mall where bus transportation is available.

The only real negative I had with NCL was the evening return at Patmos. Most guests returned around 10:30-11pm and the only place open for food was O’sheanes which could not handle the volume. I was surprised they did not have stuff in either the buffet or Great Outdoors.

Overall I thought it was a great cruise. I would certainly sail on the Jade again and for a Europe sailing would definitely use the BOGO air promo. If you read the kind of small number of people complaining about BOGO on this board the vast majority did not seem know or understand the terms and conditions with the air promo. 

Have a great trip!

Thank you so much for the info.  We are celebrating our daughter's college graduation (three years late - she graduated in May of 2020) and are excited about the stops that we are making.

On 6/5/2023 at 11:01 PM, Postcards said:

Thank you CW on the great insight, we fly to Athens Aug 31, sail on the 3rd September. So excited. 

Love to read and learn about this cruise tour from fellow passengers 

cheers

Hi yes e are on that cruise and are from the U.K. Angie & Matin.

• 3 weeks later...

We received out flight info60 days out. If you like to choose your seats, I recommend doing it as soon as flight info received.  Seems good.

Also booked into the Athens Gate. Small fact afterwards, it’s also top rated in “Lonely Planet” suggestion for best Roof Top View! Nice for an evening drink.

Also so very Pumped!

• Like 2