MSC Meraviglia - Brooklyn Departure - Overview

legalangel

Just returned from our first sailing aboard an MSC ship (Meraviglia); it sailed out of Brooklyn.  This was also a first for us.  The terminal is smaller than others we have utilized and so goes the longer lines to board.  We arrived at 10:30 and arrived around 12:45 - mostly due to the long lines (security and actual check-in). Lunch on debarkation day was in the buffet; very difficult to find a table as I do not think there was any other venue to go. 

Booking shows ahead of time is a must.  You are not allowed to bring any water or food in the Broadway Theater; buffet food was pretty much similar food each day for lunch and breakfast.  Lunch and dinner at the buffet appeared to be duplicate of what you are offered in the MDR. MDR service was adequate but overall staff not as friendly as other cruise lines.  Cruise director was not that interactive; she mainly introduced the acts each evening and that was it.  Love & Marriage as well as Quest game show were "watered" down; contestants were pre-selected for Love & Marriage, and both were played in an "open" area along the "dome" path .  Not too much in the way of musical entertainment in the evening; Jazz on Deck 18 and same guitar musician in the Brass Anchor Pub - playing the same set).  A lot of Latin music was played.   Enjoyed the many games around the pool deck.

Ocean Cay (private island) was beautiful (except for Lighthouse Bay area - it appeared to be dirty with broken chairs and debris).  Light show in the evening was nice to see as well as the "dome" shows each evening.  No problem in finding chairs around the pool area.

Debarkation was difficult as there was only one gangway operating resulting in longer lines.  It appeared to run smoothly at first since clearance was provided a little after 7:00 a.m.; but, we did not leave the ship until 9:45 (though our departure time was 8:30).

Overall, I would sail again on MSC from Brooklyn (if the price is right and the cruise itinerary included an overnight at Ocean Cay). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your review.  I’m also interested in how you got to the pier.  We’ll be sailing soon and are concerned mostly about getting an Uber/Lyft when debarking.  From what I’ve read it’s a madhouse getting into/ out of the pier.  I’m thinking to drive instead of having to deal with calling for a car even though we live 45 minutes away from the BCT.  It may be worth the extra cost just to be able to get off the ship and go directly to our car.

12 hours ago, Leosmom said:

Thanks for your review.  I’m also interested in how you got to the pier.  We’ll be sailing soon and are concerned mostly about getting an Uber/Lyft when debarking.  From what I’ve read it’s a madhouse getting into/ out of the pier.  I’m thinking to drive instead of having to deal with calling for a car even though we live 45 minutes away from the BCT.  It may be worth the extra cost just to be able to get off the ship and go directly to our car.

On 5/7 I got a Lyft (to Manhattan) within 10 minutes.  Going there was a nightmare....half an hour to the port and almost an hour getting dropped off.  But...the weather was awful that day.

• 2 weeks later...