No alcohol in Greece (unless you have drink package).

Miwintersun

50 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Just pointing out an area where NCL could up their game with service and package  improvements.

Just include the bar coffee tea in the packages, the machines are there.

OH would often love a tea while I down my pints.

Deal breaker no, inconvenience yes.

Can still leave the Starbucks venue as a charge/premium plus option.

(We don't do it so don't care) 

In the current market you don't need to give people reasons not to book when they are comparing options.

NCL have more issues than they need to around drink service, it puts some people off.

I used to like the coffee cards Princess used to do. You got X number of premium coffees and teas to have when you wanted them (can't remember how many) and also unlimited but better quality regular coffees from the International Cafe. It was also possible to swap the minibar contents for a couple of coffee cards if you were a certain level in the loyalty programme, and you didn't want the minibar stuff.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Drinks are indeed available for European ports.  To be safe, the only way to do it in some ports is via Free at Sea

Better said, drinks are available for purchase in all ports onboard all cruise ships except for those operated by Norwegian Cruise Lines. On NCL and only NCL, you must have free at sea in order to consume alcohol. I wonder why NCL would find itself in this situation? Clearly, the outlier in the mass market industry.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Norwayfan1 said:

I used to like the coffee cards Princess used to do. You got X number of premium coffees and teas to have when you wanted them (can't remember how many) and also unlimited but better quality regular coffees from the International Cafe. It was also possible to swap the minibar contents for a couple of coffee cards if you were a certain level in the loyalty programme, and you didn't want the minibar stuff.

I think Princess have changed from cards but not invested enough to know only 2 trips last year and still have punches in a couple of cards pre covid.

(Will take them and use my charm to get something for them).

Got a few sets of princess mini bars at home,  we have had  the package.

Only one NCL last year they have been our best fit but they keep wobbling on silly stuff and itinerary did not fit well 2022.

The attempt to pretend to be a premium brand with prices was shocking did not help.

Its interesting how the premium plus shambles, we have no investment in can't see any benefit, gets far fewer you are just complaining comments than just get the basics right comments.

13 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Better said, drinks are available for purchase in all ports onboard all cruise ships except for those operated by Norwegian Cruise Lines. On NCL and only NCL, you must have free at sea in order to consume alcohol. I wonder why NCL would find itself in this situation? Clearly, the outlier in the mass market industry.

Wonder the same about NCL's gyrations.  

All of the cruise lines have their head scratchers when it comes to policy.

Mentioned before, I think there are so few people who buy drinks a la carte, that NCL just doesn't want to change their Point of Sale process/software to accommodate those few who may buy drinks individually given  It makes no economic sense for anyone to do so.

One of my "bugaboos" about NCL's processes is with their specialty restaurants.  It's taken longer for them to work their processes when I check in for a specialty dinner than it does to make the actual reservation.  I'm not sure what they're looking at on their screens, but even with a relatively empty restaurant, they make it look like an arduous endeavor to seat me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

I think Princess have changed from cards but not invested enough to know only 2 trips last year and still have punches in a couple of cards pre covid.

(Will take them and use my charm to get something for them).

Got a few sets of princess mini bars at home,  we have had  the package.

Only one NCL last year they have been our best fit but they keep wobbling on silly stuff and itinerary did not fit well 2022.

The attempt to pretend to be a premium brand with prices was shocking did not help.

Its interesting how the premium plus shambles, we have no investment in can't see any benefit, gets far fewer you are just complaining comments than just get the basics right comments.

I have half an unused coffee card too - I was going to chuck mine out, as charm never works for me! Pretty sure the cards have been ditched entirely though. We have a lot of mini-bottles of brandy etc at home too - usually used for home baking.

We have had very few drinks packages - only when included in the fare (eg Marella), and once on Princess when we had some 'use it or lose it' OBC. I liked the Princess package as it included gratuities and unlimited internet and it had a good drinks selection but then they jacked up the price significantly so the value is different now.

NCL's Free at Sea . I think it was you who said elsewhere that you value the shore excursion credit and the limited internet minutes at £0 and I agree. We did enjoy the meal in Moderno and got some value from the drinks but had we not been travelling with a family group who liked the idea of sunny sailaways, cocktails etc we might have just skipped it.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Wonder the same about NCL's gyrations.  

All of the cruise lines have their head scratchers when it comes to policy.

Mentioned before, I think there are so few people who buy drinks a la carte, that NCL just doesn't want to change their Point of Sale process/software to accommodate those few who may buy drinks individually given  It makes no economic sense for anyone to do so.

One of my "bugaboos" about NCL's processes is with their specialty restaurants.  It's taken longer for them to work their processes when I check in for a specialty dinner than it does to make the actual reservation.  I'm not sure what they're looking at on their screens, but even with a relatively empty restaurant, they make it look like an arduous endeavor to seat me.

Yep, every cruise line has its pros and cons. As this website is testament to, there are people on literally every forum who say "such-and-such cruise line is the worst." None of them escapes scathing criticism from time to time. MSC, for example, makes you pay every cent for any drink that exceeds their package maximum. NCL only charges the difference. We love that we can use our UBP in the specialty restaurants. One cruise my wine was a couple of dollars over the $15 limit and I was charged $0. MSC (which I love, BTW) does not allow you to bring 6 bottles of wine onboard, and many other cruise lines are similarly stingy. NCL doesn't even charge the corkage fee if you have a package. (Another good reason for buying it, I might add)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yep, every cruise line has its pros and cons. As this website is testament to, there are people on literally every forum who say "such-and-such cruise line is the worst." None of them escapes scathing criticism from time to time. MSC, for example, makes you pay every cent for any drink that exceeds their package maximum. NCL only charges the difference. We love that we can use our UBP in the specialty restaurants. One cruise my wine was a couple of dollars over the $15 limit and I was charged $0. MSC (which I love, BTW) does not allow you to bring 6 bottles of wine onboard, and many other cruise lines are similarly stingy. NCL doesn't even charge the corkage fee if you have a package. (Another good reason for buying it, I might add)

This thread happens to be about purchasing alcohol while docked in Greece, which you can not currently do on an NCL ship, right?

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

This thread happens to be about purchasing alcohol in Greece, right?

Among other things. Like many threads it has occasionally veered into other, somewhat related directions. (Ex: comparing NCL to other cruise lines, talking about Princess's coffee cards, and stuff like that) Nothing wrong with it, of course, but we're not strictly talking about Greece anymore.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Norwayfan1 said:

I have half an unused coffee card too - I was going to chuck mine out, as charm never works for me! Pretty sure the cards have been ditched entirely though. We have a lot of mini-bottles of brandy etc at home too - usually used for home baking.

We have had very few drinks packages - only when included in the fare (eg Marella), and once on Princess when we had some 'use it or lose it' OBC. I liked the Princess package as it included gratuities and unlimited internet and it had a good drinks selection but then they jacked up the price significantly so the value is different now.

NCL's Free at Sea . I think it was you who said elsewhere that you value the shore excursion credit and the limited internet minutes at £0 and I agree. We did enjoy the meal in Moderno and got some value from the drinks but had we not been travelling with a family group who liked the idea of sunny sailaways, cocktails etc we might have just skipped it.

Last year 2022 Princess plus was £30 drinks,WiFi grats,  no brainer.

Went up to £50 not so good

Looking at 2024 as princess are discounting the current price £50 to £25.

Cruise prices too high.

We are ok with NCL UK free at sea when the base is right.

NCL DSC £15.50pppd  can kill a deal.

We are fans of the NCL dining and I can utilize the drinks so we tend to take it.

Recent UK 50% FAS was a bargain don't know how/if they do that in the US as it means subsidising grats.

Flexible late deals is where the bargains are with NCL especially for solos when they go zero sup.

Couples can have a cabin each then you can mix FAS or get double shorex if you both have it.

6 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

For the price of fewer than 2 cocktails on Royal, you get unlimited drinks on NCL. Definitely not a difficult concept to grasp, you're right. 😉

Your math only works if you factor in that each person will drink two cocktails per day...and that's just to break even!

Last October My wife and I were on Royal's Jewel of the Seas for 10 nights in Greece. My total bar tab was $161.79. 🤑

18 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Agree...all the cruise lines have their quirks.  On a Royal cruise a few years ago  I remember thinking "there's no way we'll drink enough to make the expensive drink package (sold pre-cruise) worthwhile.  WRONG!  I dropped well over the cost of the drink package, and not by a little.  My 4 figure bill for drinks shocked me at the end of the cruise.

It also taught me to check my bill every day of a cruise.

About quirks.....Never sailed Princess, and for no particular reason, don't have a desire to.  MSC tried to raise a fare that I booked, after I put a deposit down.  Had to get AMEX involved to resolve that one.  That pretty much strikes them from the list of cruise lines I'll never book again.  HAL....I don't know how a cruise can be boring, but my one HAL cruise was exactly that.  Royal...like them, but it's because I'm Diamond and get 4 free drinks every day.  Carnival....they're their own thing.  If the price is low enough, I'll sail them.  But, you have to understand what you're getting yourself in to.

Love Celebrity, but you pay a premium to get the "free drinks, tips..." etc!

NCL, although they have really PO'd me in the past, provide what I like the most.  I have sailed them a lot.  So, I know their policies better than any other cruise line.  That helps.  Plus, I can find really good deals on NCL, too.  Just got to be willing to do a little digging.

Edited by graphicguy

12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

MSC now charge the difference  and the package can be used in speciality.

(UK get the premium package as standard)

MSC  don't charge service on PAYG drinkers on UK homeport cruises.

1 minute ago, craig01020 said:

Your math only works if you factor in that each person will drink two cocktails per day...and that's just to break even!

Last October My wife and I were on Royal's Jewel of the Seas for 10 nights in Greece. My total bar tab was $161.79. 🤑

Two cocktails a day, PER PERSON? OMG. That must be a record. 😜 $161.79 for 10 days? Um, why did you even go, LOL. As my wife would say "you're doing it wrong." 

In all seriousness, if you don't drink a lot, that's A-OK. But judging from my experience on cruises, you're very much in the minority.

• Like 2

People who don't drink enough on a cruise to make the free at sea deal worth while are certainly in the minority, but that doesn't mean that there aren't still a significant number of them.

Many times I have met people at the CC meet and greet who aren't drinkers, and who don't have the beverage package.

They don't tend to spend a lot of their time in the bars though, so they aren't as visible during the cruise to those of us who tend to gravitate towards those places. 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Two cocktails a day, PER PERSON? OMG. That must be a record. 😜 $161.79 for 10 days? Um, why did you even go, LOL. As my wife would say "you're doing it wrong." 

In all seriousness, if you don't drink a lot, that's A-OK. But judging from my experience on cruises, you're very much in the minority.

That's definitely not a record. In September we did not take the Free at Sea drink package. My husband purchased a soda package. I had no package. I spent less than $100 on all drinks. I drank iced tea, ship tap water, and a few (maybe five) alcoholic drinks. I did have a couple of sodas/mocktails. 

In January, I had the Free at Sea package as I figured it was New Year's so I might drink a bit. Ha! I was wrong. I don't have an exact count, but put it at fifteen'ish drinks. Definitely no more than twenty. That includes mocktails, soda, and alcohol. 

While I may be in the minority, when I go on a cruise, I expect to be able to purchase a drink (non-alcoholic or not). That's the issue here. I get that NCL may not want to invest in a POS that can accommodate all the tax systems across the world. NCL should just post this so you know what you're getting into. Not getting a drink package? Well, NCL could tell you that there are some ports you may not be able to purchase any drinks at all. Right? In Greece you can't purchase a soda? I think that's what I've read. 

Remember, not everyone, heck probably less than 10% of the cruising public even knows about Cruise Critic. Yes, that's a guess. I don't know the exact percentage. They may find out from other sources, but chances are people (like @jennjess and @craig01020 and myself) who don't purchase/pay the Free at Sea gratuities wouldn't have a clue. I'd be upset, for a moment, if I couldn't buy a Coke. I'd be more upset that, like usual, NCL didn't disclose a known "feature" of their onboard experience to me. 

And yes, I fully understand some folks on this thread (and the others) just won't understand my point. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

NCL, although they have really PO'd me in the past, provide what I like the most.  I have sailed them a lot.  So, I know their policies better than any other cruise line.  That helps.  

We have been NCL for years not exclusive but best fit for us most of the time when they do cruises where we want.

We learnt early doing 2 ships same year same menus (president era) how different it could  be cruise to cruise.

Both were fantastic cruises but only one for the food element.

(Remembered now that first one on the Dawn  was one of our best ever from the people we met)

Over the years from Jewel travel agent  inaugeral UK and most other new ship launch since we have had the best NCL had to offer over the years.

we went through the UBP&UDP days unlimited drinks and speciality dining including  on cheap cruises.

where are we now....

Having to work out the upfront costs and policies is what puts people off.

The nickle and dime reputation has stuck, even though you can totally avoid it till NCL pulls the rug like they did in the UK over drinks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

We have been NCL for years not exclusive but best fit for us most of the time when they do cruises where we want.

We learnt early doing 2 ships same year same menus (president era) how different it could  be cruise to cruise.

Both were fantastic cruises but only one for the food element.

(Remembered now that first one on the Dawn  was one of our best ever from the people we met)

Over the years from Jewel travel agent  inaugeral UK and most other new ship launch since we have had the best NCL had to offer over the years.

we went through the UBP&UDP days unlimited drinks and speciality dining including  on cheap cruises.

where are we now....

Having to work out the upfront costs and policies is what puts people off.

The nickle and dime reputation has stuck, even though you can totally avoid it till NCL pulls the rug like they did in the UK over drinks.

See...that's what I like.  I am retired and always looking for "cruise deals" on ALL the cruise lines as I have the time to do it.  I know what the tips are for the FAS drinks and specialty dinners.  I know what the DSC is for the cruise.  I make a list and compare fares and perks to see which is really better.

I like shopping and comparing.

People will spend more time setting up dinner reservations than they will researching their cruise.

Carnival is notorious for charging everything as extra. Heck, they originated the "Faster to the Fun" fees.  Who would have thought people would pay more to be able to get on board an hour earlier?  

Royal....again, you can get drink packages but you'll pay dearly for them.  MSC to me is just flat out dishonest given the way they treated me.

Celebrity probably comes closest to NCL in the "all inclusive" category.  But, even though they include tips, their fares are so much higher to negate the "included" part of the puzzle.

I agree...if you don't want to do any compare and contrast while looking at cruises,  just pick a cruise, pay the fare and don't choose any of the Free at Sea packages.  Everything is a la carte.  If you don't drink, no VAT or tips.  If you don't want the Specialty Restaurants perk with FAS, go a la carte (wait until you see THAT BILL).  But, you won't have to do any shopping as a result.  You'll know as go what you're paying.  Celebrity offers that fare, too (which is still higher than NCL's).

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

See...that's what I like.  I am retired and always looking for "cruise deals" on ALL the cruise lines as I have the time to do it.  I know what the tips are for the FAS drinks and specialty dinners.  I know what the DSC is for the cruise.  I make a list and compare fares and perks to see which is really better.

I like shopping and comparing.

People will spend more time setting up dinner reservations than they will researching their cruise.

Carnival is notorious for charging everything as extra. Heck, they originated the "Faster to the Fun" fees.  Who would have thought people would pay more to be able to get on board?  Royal....again, you can get drink packages but you'll pay dearly for them.  MSC to me is just flat out dishonest given the way they treated me.

Celebrity probably comes closest to NCL in the "all inclusive" category.  But, even though they include tips, their fares are so much higher to negate the "included" part of the puzzle.

We find MSC(UK targeted) a good alternative to NCL there are differences but it's a trade off between the good stuff

Prices are not that much different on the ones we look at and can end both with Zero on board with the right planning.

NCL have given us some more coupons which could swing the next one.

Celebrity tends to stay way too high.

Princess have been sneeking in deals to their loyalty people.

Worth looking at  late deals on the more  up markets not cheap but can be great value against the higher end cabins on mass market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

FYI MSC now only charge the difference between drinks package and drink cost. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, craig01020 said:

It's very possible with a port-intensive itinerary. Having 1 or 2 drinks in the evening doesn't add up to much.

NCL's a la carte pricing is so high, though, that I think at 2 drinks you are still better off paying for the free at sea gratuities.  It's a no-brainer.

I'm just a little confused here.  VAT is owed for the purchase of any goods and services, not just beverages and duty free goods.  If NCL closes down beverage and duty free purchases while in port shouldn't they also close down their specialty restaurants for those who are actually purchasing their meal rather than using a prepaid SDM voucher?  What about laundry service or room service (there are some items that incur a fee; shrimp, canapes) while in port?  Just wondering.

I'm guessing that spa services in port are ok as the company running the spa is not NCL and that company has figured out how to account for the VAT.

In addition, my understanding is that the cost for shore excursions includes any VAT as well, so the shorex desk wouldn't have to close either.

It's telling that NCL can't or won't make this work more smoothly for drink purchases in particular. Not even being able to get a soft drink is crazy.  Just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Again, lots of FUD here.

You can get tea, coffee, milk, water, juices at any port at any time just about anywhere there’s a bar or food venue.  The very few who don’t have the Free at Sea drinks package just can’t order an alcoholic beverage at those ports where the regs disallow it.

You can BUY soft drinks at those bars, too….if you don’t have the FAS drink package.

Bottom line, you can debate what or how they should do it.  But, the numbers of those passengers who want to order an alcoholic drink, without the FAS drink package, in one of those ports, can not.  I don’t imagine it’s more than a handful, but them’s the rules.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Greener123 said:

FYI MSC now only charge the difference between drinks package and drink cost. 

This must be a (relatively) recent change. We sailed on MSC 3 times between 2018-2021 and it was always the case that you had to pay the full price of the higher priced drink.

12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

This must be a (relatively) recent change. We sailed on MSC 3 times between 2018-2021 and it was always the case that you had to pay the full price of the higher priced drink.

I think it changed with the start of this summer season - at least the sailings from Southamton on Virtuosa - it wasn’t the case when it was based out of Hamburg the sailings prior to 21st April IIRC

• Like 1