NCL cancels Epic sailings from 12.1.2023 to 4.9.2024 for "Fleet Redeployment"

mpk

8 hours ago, GLYNAGP said:

I've really no idea, but it's not unreasonable to ask for out of pocket expenses to be refunded based on the fact that we're out of pocket due to their decision to redeploy the fleet. "If you don't ask you don't get." 

If a UK booking then this is covered by package travel regulations and ABTA code.

The cruise line should cover unrecoverable expenses.

6 hours ago, Mississippian said:

Not really. The Haven is only twice as much!

I have been shopping for a T/A cruise. I suspect this will be the biggest bargain to be had when they finally get the pricing right. I will be sailing solo, so it doesn't matter that the bathroom is essentially open to the stateroom.

Booked the Nov 2024 TA from Europe to Canaveral. Very appealing as it was about 10K less for the Haven (H6 2 Bed Suite) than for the Escape (also Nov 2024, different itinerary, 1 additional night) at the time of booking. Our agent says lower pricing is common for the Epic across all room categories due to the unpopular cabin layout and for the Haven because of the uncovered pool (for a Nov cruise in the Atlantic with 5-6 sea days, that is a big deal for many people). An added bonus for us on this cruise is only having to pay for one flight as we live in Orlando - nothing better than disembarking and driving home vs headed to an airport which is a very stressful way to end a vacation. 

Now we are concerned about it being cancelled if the Epic does not return to Europe. On the upside, if the ship is being repositioned PLUS refurbished, maybe some updates will make our original booking a bigger bargain. Our agent says that the Nov 2024 bookings are at about 30% currently so I am sure a lot of persons are on tender-hooks. 

Certainly better than the 62K "deal" being offered 😁

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GLYNAGP said:

Why don't you make a claim to NCL to recover the cost of flight the flights you purchased and not using because of their cancellation. I have 

How did you do that? Are you from the Uk too,Dianne

26 minutes ago, di T said:

How did you do that? Are you from the Uk too,Dianne

Yes I'm in the UK. I called NCL told them I wanted to make a claim for out of pocket expenses  they sent me a Link, I completed the form including details of what and why I was claiming, uploaded a copy of my Easyjet booking showing the price and submitted it all back to NCL. I recieved an automated response to say they'd received it and would respond within 30 days. 

5 minutes ago, GLYNAGP said:

Yes I'm in the UK. I called NCL told them I wanted to make a claim for out of pocket expenses  they sent me a Link, I completed the form including details of what and why I was claiming, uploaded a copy of my Easyjet booking showing the price and submitted it all back to NCL. I recieved an automated response to say they'd received it and would respond within 30 days. 

I have completed the form and hopefully sent my booking details from both airlines, will wait and see! Not fair if we loose the flight money but haven’t heard if my insurance will cover this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, di T said:

I have completed the form and hopefully sent my booking details from both airlines, will wait and see! Not fair if we loose the flight money but haven’t heard if my insurance will cover this.

If they say no then escalate with references to ABTA code of conduct and package travel regulations(a cruise is a package under the regulations)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, di T said:

No we shouldn't be out of pocket but to be fair to NCL unless we tell them what out of pocket expenses we have, how can they consider reimbursing them to us. Now we'll have to wait and see

• Like 1

Off the Epic on the SJU-NYC trip last month and also did the Pearl from BOS to Bermuda last year.  For a ship of it's age I thought the Epic looked good.  But one of the things that surprised me was the lack of USB ports near the bed on the Epic like the Pearl had.  So hopefully with the redeployment if it includes a dry dock or even just a small refurbishment maybe they add those USB ports.  

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 12:12 PM, insidecabin said:

I think they can probably run the ships at a profit just not enough to cover the overheads of the business and debt.

How much a cruise passenger day do they need just to pay the executive?

Where can  it go that will make more money?

There's also an intangible cost to this mass cancellation event.  It's a bunch of upset customers and loss of goodwill.  It won't show up on the genius' spreadsheet in Miami, but it is real.

This used to count for something, but maybe not in 2023.  And all the lines have a boatload of debt to work through...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mpk said:

There's also an intangible cost to this mass cancellation event.  It's a bunch of upset customers and loss of goodwill.  It won't show up on the genius' spreadsheet in Miami, but it is real.

This used to count for something, but maybe not in 2023.  And all the lines have a boatload of debt to work through...

Well as they have now done this to 2 ships perhaps it makes sense to them.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:16 PM, GLYNAGP said:

No. Actually at the moment I have no insurance for next January as I haven't renewed my annual travel insurance yet . 

Off topic, but which annual travel insurance do you use?

On 5/27/2023 at 9:43 AM, di T said:

Totally agree with what you say, As usually happens we are suffering with this in the Uk with high flight prices, little flexibility to change these flights etc.

I can see one cruise which might fit in  but it’s in November and with the 20% off it would be a good price. But the flights are so expensive and as it ends inTrieste Italy I can only get direct flights to Venice.So a couple of nights in Venice to book, that’s no problem we have been many times.But will have to see how is best value to get from Trieste.Just cancelled the last of my hotels in Lisbon, all of this cancelling and looking to rebook takes hours, and I’m busy getting ready for my next cruise in less than 3 weeks! Dianne

Just fyi.   I went from Trieste earlier this month.  It is not really that difficult to get from Trieste to VCE.   There is a cheap and regular Flix bus from the bus station.   The bus and train station are side by side only 1 km from the port ALL FLAT. It makes it an easy port for embarking and disembarking.  You can easily fly to VCE a couple of days early, do the usual Venice stay and then take an early train to Trieste.    After complaining it was going to be such a faff, i think the Trieste part was not so bad.  Easier than the people mover etc in huge Venice cruise port.   What makes it such a faff for us is that we cannot get direct flights from Malaga to VCE.    So I probably won’t be doing that itinerary again.  

22 hours ago, insidecabin said:

If they say no then escalate with references to ABTA code of conduct and package travel regulations(a cruise is a package under the regulations)

We booked our flights independent of NCL so do not know if this is classed as a "package" with NCL .

1 hour ago, room with a view said:

We booked our flights independent of NCL so do not know if this is classed as a "package" with NCL .

The cruise only is classed a  package which gives the protection of the package travel regulations.

Although the flight does not come within the package the regulation give protection for loses/damages outside the package when the cruise is cancelled.

On 5/28/2023 at 12:12 PM, di T said:

I have spoken to NCL and they have refused to send out this form .. he kept repeating over and over again to claim on my travel insurance . He went and spoke to his superior who said it under "terms and conditions" they was no chance NCL would do any thing . I have never spoken to such a condescending person .

20 hours ago, jimsig said:

Off the Epic on the SJU-NYC trip last month and also did the Pearl from BOS to Bermuda last year.  For a ship of it's age I thought the Epic looked good.  But one of the things that surprised me was the lack of USB ports near the bed on the Epic like the Pearl had.  So hopefully with the redeployment if it includes a dry dock or even just a small refurbishment maybe they add those USB ports.  

The SJU-NYC cruise was one of my favorite. I had zero complaints…even the weather was great. 

23 minutes ago, room with a view said:

I have spoken to NCL and they have refused to send out this form .. he kept repeating over and over again to claim on my travel insurance . He went and spoke to his superior who said it under "terms and conditions" they was no chance NCL would do any thing . I have never spoken to such a condescending person .

there is always this form.
https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/case-submission

Read up package travel regulation and ABTA code of conduct.

ABTA have a dispute resolution service. 

On 5/28/2023 at 12:04 PM, GLYNAGP said:

Is this the same link /form  posted by inside cabin ? ...thanks

2 hours ago, crazycatlady82 said:

The SJU-NYC cruise was one of my favorite. I had zero complaints…even the weather was great. 

Weather was amazing.  I think it was Thur, our first at sea day, we had that brief rain, along with a flash of lightening and roll of thunder.  they didn't even clear the pool deck.  I stayed, but I was also underneath on that riser so i stayed dry.  

• Like 1

I have received all my fully paid up cruise money back on my card, I thought this would take weeks. A lot of cash so I have today booked my flights for the cruise in November, what’s left will pay the final payment on that cruise.Dianne