NCL cancels Epic sailings from 12.1.2023 to 4.9.2024 for "Fleet Redeployment"

mpk

5 hours ago, laudergayle said:

What dates were you sailing?

Nov 10 2024 13 Day TA.
Was perfect because the itinerary great, TA bucket-list, and ended up in Canaveral 45 mins from our condo. Looking for alternatives if anyone has suggestions….

2 hours ago, jcncamsdad said:

Your TA may have not seen the latest update for the Epic.  She will be heading back to Rome on April 7, 2024 and back for the 19th.  Of course, things can change.

image.thumb.png.7bc6180b377f796a772e46a32a4660cd.png

Crossing fingers … he said the Epic is offering cruises out of Canaveral Nov-March 2024 right during our booking. 

Heck - I’d love to stay with NCL for the TA. 
thank you for the info!!!! It’s an ever changing calendar! 
warmest, Amy

1 hour ago, OB Cruise Group said:
I had a group of 51 cabins on the Epic for February 4-15, 2024 sailing!

I was quite angry that they sent out notices to all my guests before they informed me that the sailing was cancelled. I understand that ships go into dry dock and need updates but I have been told a couple different reasons for this cancellation from the group department and regular reservations. I also brought up the fact that I felt I should have been contacted first, since I am the group leader/travel agent and she said, "well", we did contact you. I explained that my guests started getting their emails at 8:30am that day and I was not notified until 12:30pm and I really think the only reason I was, is that I was also booked on the sailing. Where is the "Partners First" supposedly NCL's commitment to travel advisors? 

Today was the icing on the cake, one of my guests called me and let me know that NCL contacted them directly, saying, "I see that your cruise was cancelled and I want to try and help you get re-booked on a different cruise". Since my guests are pretty committed to using my services ,she asked him if this was allowed because they always prefer to go through their agent. His response "well if you prefer to use them, then there is no need to offer you what we were going to offer"

That’s ugly and unprofessional of them. 
51 cabins? Dang 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, amygutman said:

Nov 10 2024 13 Day TA.
Was perfect because the itinerary great, TA bucket-list, and ended up in Canaveral 45 mins from our condo. Looking for alternatives if anyone has suggestions….

You may be in luck.  Epic still shows your Rome to PC TA for Nov. 2024…and the sailings in Oct. 2024 are European Med.  the December 2024-Spring 2025 are Caribbean.  Maybe your TA confused your 2024 sail date for the 2023-24 dates.

happy cruising.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

You may be in luck.  Epic still shows your Rome to PC TA for Nov. 2024…and the sailings in Oct. 2024 are European Med.  the December 2024-Spring 2025 are Caribbean.  Maybe your TA confused your 2024 sail date for the 2023-24 dates.

happy cruising.

Thank you for your information but this group was sailing February 2024, they do not want to change dates, perhaps they would consider Mediterranean in 2025. The Epic has been moved to Port Canaveral for January and February 2024, that is why they cancelled the Med cruise.

2 minutes ago, OB Cruise Group said:

Thank you for your information but this group was sailing February 2024, they do not want to change dates, perhaps they would consider Mediterranean in 2025. The Epic has been moved to Port Canaveral for January and February 2024, that is why they cancelled the Med cruise.

My info was for @amygutman.  I feel badly for you and your group. We were on the verge of booking that cruise cause the prices were really low for an amazing itinerary. I wish I had so I would have a future discount.  Best to you. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

My info was for @amygutman.  I feel badly for you and your group. We were on the verge of booking that cruise cause the prices were really low for an amazing itinerary. I wish I had so I would have a future discount.  Best to you. 

Thank you @laudergayle. I feel awful for @OB Cruise Group and her cruisers. 

My TA just called me again… In regards to the constant changes on the Epic’s itineraries he said it’s gonna cause him to drink! 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, OB Cruise Group said:
I had a group of 51 cabins on the Epic for February 4-15, 2024 sailing!

I was quite angry that they sent out notices to all my guests before they informed me that the sailing was cancelled. I understand that ships go into dry dock and need updates but I have been told a couple different reasons for this cancellation from the group department and regular reservations. I also brought up the fact that I felt I should have been contacted first, since I am the group leader/travel agent and she said, "well", we did contact you. I explained that my guests started getting their emails at 8:30am that day and I was not notified until 12:30pm and I really think the only reason I was, is that I was also booked on the sailing. Where is the "Partners First" supposedly NCL's commitment to travel advisors? 

Today was the icing on the cake, one of my guests called me and let me know that NCL contacted them directly, saying, "I see that your cruise was cancelled and I want to try and help you get re-booked on a different cruise". Since my guests are pretty committed to using my services ,she asked him if this was allowed because they always prefer to go through their agent. His response "well if you prefer to use them, then there is no need to offer you what we were going to offer"

I have nothing to do with booking in US - but in a business scenario that is shocking 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

happy cruising.

I'd say i'm on "tenderhooks" but i've already been corrected once on this forum 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 5/28/2023 at 12:30 PM, GLYNAGP said:

No we shouldn't be out of pocket but to be fair to NCL unless we tell them what out of pocket expenses we have, how can they consider reimbursing them to us. Now we'll have to wait and see

Haven’t heard anything back from NCL since the email to say they received the form and I would be contacted within 48hrs this was 6 days ago! Have you heard anything more? 

13 minutes ago, di T said:

Haven’t heard anything back from NCL since the email to say they received the form and I would be contacted within 48hrs this was 6 days ago! Have you heard anything more? 

Yes I heard back within a couple of days. NCL require a cancellation invoice for my flights. I have rebooked a replacement cruise which will also require flights. So I intend to change the original flight to Lisbon (when the flights for the new cruise dates  are available) NCL advised me if there is an admin fee to do this they will refund that fee on production of an invoice showing the amount. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 6:26 PM, GLYNAGP said:

Yes I heard back within a couple of days. NCL require a cancellation invoice for my flights. I have rebooked a replacement cruise which will also require flights. So I intend to change the original flight to Lisbon (when the flights for the new cruise dates  are available) NCL advised me if there is an admin fee to do this they will refund that fee on production of an invoice showing the amount. 

Wonder if it’s worth trying to get in touch with them again? Hopefully they will give you some kind of refund for your flights, please let us know how you get on.Dianne

17 minutes ago, di T said:

Wonder if it’s worth trying to get in touch with them again? Hopefully they will give you some kind of refund for your flights, please let us know how you get on.Dianne

When you submitted your original claim you should have got an automated reply with a case number to quote.

As far as my claim, it will be some time before I can advance this as I need  to change the origin return flights to Lisbon in January to a flight to Rome in April returning from Barcelona in May and the new flight are not on sale yet so I think it's going to be a couple of month yet. 

Just now, GLYNAGP said:

When you submitted your original claim you should have got an automated reply with a case number to quote.

As far as my claim, it will be some time before I can advance this as I need  to change the origin return flights to Lisbon in January to a flight to Rome in April returning from Barcelona in May and the new flight are not on sale yet so I think it's going to be a couple of month yet. 

Yes I got the reply with the case number, will give them another few days to see if they get in touch,I guess they have been busy with the cancellation of the cruise.Never mind just over a week to our next one(Oceania) first time with them! 

Just had a reply from NCL regarding the flights I have lost money on due to their cancellation of Epics cruise. They say to contact my insurance, as I booked the flights independently they do not hold any responsibility. My insurance says it’s the cruise line who have failed to provide a service so they are responsible! So same old situation as seen before, but NCL are members of ABTA so I have replied to their email to remind them of the code of practice.

3 hours ago, di T said:

Just had a reply from NCL regarding the flights I have lost money on due to their cancellation of Epics cruise. They say to contact my insurance, as I booked the flights independently they do not hold any responsibility. My insurance says it’s the cruise line who have failed to provide a service so they are responsible! So same old situation as seen before, but NCL are members of ABTA so I have replied to their email to remind them of the code of practice.

I think that your best bet is to get a future flight credit from the airline.  If the airline won't provide a credit, or requires a change/cancel fee, then your insurance should cover.   The cruiseline has failed to provide a cruise, but your airline is still ready to provide your flights.  What a mess.

Edited by jsn55

4 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I think that your best bet is to get a future flight credit from the airline.  If the airline won't provide a credit, or requires a change/cancel fee, then your insurance should cover.   The cruiseline has failed to provide a cruise, but your airline is still ready to provide your flights.  What a mess.

UK the law is different if a cruise line cancels a cruise they are responsible for out of pocket losses that result from that cancellation.

(There are some exceptions that don't apply here) 

You are supposed to try to mitigate your losses, for air that would be getting partial refund(eg. taxes) or if possible changing flights where that would result in a lower loss, the cruise line would be responsible for any outstanding loss like change fees and potentially the difference if there was no refund for a cheaper flight, not sure if the flight was more, probably not as you would have used the full amount of the original fare. 

9 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

UK the law is different if a cruise line cancels a cruise they are responsible for out of pocket losses that result from that cancellation.

(There are some exceptions that don't apply here) 

You are supposed to try to mitigate your losses, for air that would be getting partial refund(eg. taxes) or if possible changing flights where that would result in a lower loss, the cruise line would be responsible for any outstanding loss like change fees and potentially the difference if there was no refund for a cheaper flight, not sure if the flight was more, probably not as you would have used the full amount of the original fare. 

The problem, most likely, is you are dealing with a customer service representative in the US or even Philipines who has no idea what the UK laws are. You'll need to put them all in writing with all documentation and send to Miami Corporate offices and demand redress.

5 hours ago, SakeDad said:

The problem, most likely, is you are dealing with a customer service representative in the US or even Philipines who has no idea what the UK laws are. You'll need to put them all in writing with all documentation and send to Miami Corporate offices and demand redress.

Thanks for your advice, would anyone have an email address for the corporate office? Dianne

36 minutes ago, di T said:

Thanks for your advice, would anyone have an email address for the corporate office? Dianne

You might need to deal with Southampton.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/NCL_Guest_Ticket_Contract_UK_02_2023_FINAL.pdf

section 6 is the key for any clains as they agree you are covered by package travel regs.

section 7.

(7) In these Terms and Conditions, “you”, “your” and “Guest” means all or any of the persons named on the booking (including anyone who is added or substituted at a later date). “We”, “us”, “our”, “Norwegian Cruise Line” and “Norwegian” means NCL (Bahamas) Ltd., trading as Norwegian and/or Norwegian Cruise Line, Mountbatten House, Grosvenor Square, Southampton SO15 2JU, Great Britain, phone: +44 (0) 333 2412319

I think any mention of ABTA and arbitration or if it goes further and a letter before action would need to be served to the UK office.

Edited by insidecabin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, di T said:

One thing to consider ... brief letters written in a businesslike tone, polite but clear, generally get the best results.  It's justifiably understandable that NCL's stance can trigger anger, but the person reading your letter didn't cause your problem and you want them to want to help you.  Make no mention of 'taking further action', that will get your letter sent on to Legal or set aside.  It's helpful to have someone unaware of your problem read your letter to be sure you've explained it clearly.  I was on a advocacy forum for years, and this method is what's been proven to get the best results.  I'd call to see if you can get the name of someone in charge of customer service, and start there.  If you start at the top and your request is denied, you have nowhere to go.  Be polite, patient and persistent.  

• Like 1

Not to add fuel to the fire...but more NCL Epic cancellations posted this am:

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-cancels-sailings-in-2025/103405

Three Norwegian Epic Cruises Cancelled

Norwegian Cruise Line recently sent guests an email announcing the cancellation of three scheduled sailings on the Norwegian Epic. The affected voyages, scheduled to sail on April 15, April 20, and May 5 in 2025, have been scrapped due to a dry dock and revitalization of the ship. In a letter issued to guests and travel partners, Norwegian Cruise Line states: “As part of our commitment to continuously offer extraordinary vacation experiences around the world for our guests and to uphold a consistent world-class product across our fleet, Norwegian Epic will be undergoing a revitalization in 2025.” “In order to complete these enhancements, Norwegian Epic’s sailings on April 15, 2025, April 20, 2025, and May 5, 2025, have been canceled. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.”

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

One thing to consider ... brief letters written in a businesslike tone, polite but clear, generally get the best results.  It's justifiably understandable that NCL's stance can trigger anger, but the person reading your letter didn't cause your problem and you want them to want to help you.  Make no mention of 'taking further action', that will get your letter sent on to Legal or set aside.  It's helpful to have someone unaware of your problem read your letter to be sure you've explained it clearly.  I was on a advocacy forum for years, and this method is what's been proven to get the best results.  I'd call to see if you can get the name of someone in charge of customer service, and start there.  If you start at the top and your request is denied, you have nowhere to go.  Be polite, patient and persistent.  

A polite reminder after a refusal and or  referal to insurance that the UK booking  is subject ABTA code of conduct and package travel regulations is very appropriate so they can consider the cancellation in the correct context.

Most cruise lines are very poor at following the  ABTA code of conduct they sign up to

1 minute ago, amygutman said:

Not to add fuel to the fire...but more NCL Epic cancellations posted this am:

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-cancels-sailings-in-2025/103405

Three Norwegian Epic Cruises Cancelled

Norwegian Cruise Line recently sent guests an email announcing the cancellation of three scheduled sailings on the Norwegian Epic. The affected voyages, scheduled to sail on April 15, April 20, and May 5 in 2025, have been scrapped due to a dry dock and revitalization of the ship. In a letter issued to guests and travel partners, Norwegian Cruise Line states: “As part of our commitment to continuously offer extraordinary vacation experiences around the world for our guests and to uphold a consistent world-class product across our fleet, Norwegian Epic will be undergoing a revitalization in 2025.” “In order to complete these enhancements, Norwegian Epic’s sailings on April 15, 2025, April 20, 2025, and May 5, 2025, have been canceled. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.”

At least it nearly 2 years ahead.

Sends a message they might let the ship slide a bit.