Staying overnight off ship in Israel??

barryg9999

We are taking the NCL Jade cruise this August, which stops in Ashdod and Haifa. We’ve hired a private tour guide who suggested that we stay overnight in Jerusalem instead of spending hours getting back to the ship, only to return the following morning.

Has anyone done this? We’re trying to confirm if NCL allows this sort of thing/ I would think that it does as NCL offers their own two-day tour that does the same (Israel Grand Overland tour). 

Edited by barryg9999
spelling error

I have stayed in port overnight on NCL ships a few times in various places (including Haifa) and there have never been any restrictions that I was aware of on when people can come or leave.

I’m sure that when we were in Israel there were quite a few people doing the sort of thing you are planning.

Edited by KeithJenner

9 minutes ago, barryg9999 said:

@KeithJenner That is very helpful, thank you. I figured that there had to be a few people doing the same. When you did it, did the ship change ports, as our ship is in Ashdod on the first day and Haifa on te second day?

Aah, no we had two days in Haifa. That may make a difference, as they will do an all aboard before departure.

I don’t know how much difference it will make, but you would certainly need to clear it with them in advance so they don’t just assume you have missed the ship and report you as having not come

back/left your luggage etc. I don’t know for sure, but it may be that the Israeli authorities may not like that as they may assume that you are intending to stay on there for a longer period.

I suspect your biggest problem is that the shoreside staff are likely to say they can’t confirm anything and it will have to be done onboard, which is likely to be to late to make arrangements.

Edited by KeithJenner

Its possible but you should let them know.  If for some reason they need to leave earlier, they can contact you to let you know.  I don't know if that would be an issue with this cruise but I know for Bermuda overnight cruises, sometimes they need to leave earlier than listed to avoid a storm.  

As you are talking about two different ports (not over-night-stay in the same port), it may be difficult to get permission to do this as a private tour. Simply because Israeli authorities would have you registered as arriving AND departing with the cruise ship the first day, and then arriving and departing with the cruise ship in Haifa the next day. Except that you would not actually be doing that, so I am suspecting that NCL would have to get an OK from the Israeli authorities on your behalf....... And that may be more complicated than you wuold think, simply because it is a foreign country...

I did the NCL Grand Overland Tour.  It  may be pricy, but take into account the cost of the hotel room, the cost of meals, cost of transportation, and entrance fees.  The tour consisted of about 5 busses that held only 12 people.  The Hotel in Jerusalem was very nice, the food for buffet lunch and dinner was great.  Our guide was spectacular.  Security in Israel changes constantly, and just knowing that if anything happened, NCL could contact the guides ( or vice a versa), and get us back to the ship asap ( which would be waiting for us).  But, if you do go overnight, make sure to notify NCL.  You can probably give a call and discuss your travel plans with NCL.  

• Like 1

I'd check and see if you get the little card that says you're legally in Israel when you enter from the cruise ship -- if you don't, it might be difficult to check into a hotel. I know that we had to show ours even when we were living in Israel long-term and had our IDs. Also, if anything goes pear shaped while you're out, you would want to be able to show that you were legally in the country -- the Israeli Police/Army is not to be messed with, and will not care if you miss your ship because they've detained you at a police station as a possible security threat.

Israel certainly permitted this several years ago.  I was on a Royal Caribbean ship that docked in these two cities on consecutive days and I recall multiple people on ship talking about doing this.  I seem to recall that Royal even offered an “excursion” that facilitated it.  Now, what I don’t recall was whether that excursion was the only way to accomplish this or if you could do it on your own.  You will need to call NCL and ask someone who can confirm whether NCL permits it or not.

Edited by MeHeartCruising