Ship Tours Behind the Scenes

himan

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if P&O are doing behind the scenes ship tours as on the point of booking Arvia for next April and this would clinch it for me. Also are they doing daytime talks with guest speakers? thanks in advance for any replies.

sea day talks with guest speakers are still going on. I have enjoyed 95% of these over the years. Not seen a behind the scenes tours lately, dont know if bridge tour and meal is going on either these days..

• Like 1

I don't think they restarted them after Covid.

On our last trip on Arvia in April, there was a talk from one of the bridge crew, with a virtual tour of the bridge. I was looking forward to that; unfortunately, it was cancelled last minute.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, himan said:

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if P&O are doing behind the scenes ship tours as on the point of booking Arvia for next April and this would clinch it for me. Also are they doing daytime talks with guest speakers? thanks in advance for any replies.

I asked this question on our recent March repositioning cruise on Azura at reception.  They were not running yet, but anticipated them starting once given the go ahead from shore side.

I will be back on her next month, and will pester them again.

It is still listed on the P&O website, although needs some searching.

https://www.pocruises.com/onboard-activities/Gifts/behind-the-scenes-tour

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TigerB said:

I don't think they restarted them after Covid.

On our last trip on Arvia in April, there was a talk from one of the bridge crew, with a virtual tour of the bridge. I was looking forward to that; unfortunately, it was cancelled last minute.

That was disappointing wasn’t it and I thought they said it was going to be rescheduled later in the cruise. But in replacement we did get a ‘Get to know the cast of the Dome production shows’ which I really enjoyed. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jazzytelly said:

That was disappointing wasn’t it and I thought they said it was going to be rescheduled later in the cruise. But in replacement we did get a ‘Get to know the cast of the Dome production shows’ which I really enjoyed. 

Yes, me too. I wasn't bothered about the replacement as we didn't watch any of the shows in the 'leisure centre'.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. Good to hear daytime talks are still happening and hopefully the ship behind the scenes tours will be reinstated by the time we go on next April. Been probably 4 years since we were on Britannia doing the Norwegian Fjords cruise as been doing Princess since then, in fact on Sky Princess end of July so only 8 weeks to go. Really like the look of Arvia though.

• Like 1

When I began cruising on Celebrity, all behind the scenes tours were free. Even got strawberries dipped in chocolate at end of galley tour. Tours on P&O pre covid were chargeable. No tours now. How things have changed. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, himan said:

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. Good to hear daytime talks are still happening and hopefully the ship behind the scenes tours will be reinstated by the time we go on next April. Been probably 4 years since we were on Britannia doing the Norwegian Fjords cruise as been doing Princess since then, in fact on Sky Princess end of July so only 8 weeks to go. Really like the look of Arvia though.

Princess also did a behind the scenes tour pre covid.  Much more expensive than P&O, but from what I have seen you got a few items to takeaway with you.  Might be worth enquiring when you are onboard Sky Princess.

3 hours ago, Fionboard said:

When I began cruising on Celebrity, all behind the scenes tours were free. Even got strawberries dipped in chocolate at end of galley tour. Tours on P&O pre covid were chargeable. No tours now. How things have changed. 

Yes indeed. The incredible Chocoholics Buffet followed by a Galley walkthrough was always fun.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fionboard said:

IIRC, P&O behind the scenes tours were £75, which always struck me as a bit steep. So, although I was tempted, I never went on one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

Princess also did a behind the scenes tour pre covid.  Much more expensive than P&O, but from what I have seen you got a few items to takeaway with you.  Might be worth enquiring when you are onboard Sky Princess.

They weren't doing them when we were on her last year but will definitely ask in July when we board. If not I'll just have to make do with my usual daily tours of the watch shop! 😂

• Haha 1

When we were on RCL Independence of the Seas I did the ship tour but the wife didn't and at the end of the tour went to the MDR for a lunch and a speak and the young lady who took the tour phoned our cabin to tell my wife to come and join us (not a free lunch though as you've obviously paid for it) When the wife answered the phone she thought they were contacting her to say I had been involved in some sort of accident and she was going to have to go to the medical centre. 🤣

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

IIRC, P&O behind the scenes tours were £75, which always struck me as a bit steep. So, although I was tempted, I never went on one.

It was expensive but it was also very extensive and very informative and finished with a Bridge tour followed by light luncheon nibbles in the Glass House. but without a fairly large OBC I doubt I would have been tempted.

Edited by terrierjohn

17 minutes ago, himan said:

They weren't doing them when we were on her last year but will definitely ask in July when we board. If not I'll just have to make do with my usual daily tours of the watch shop! 😂

Same as you, asked on both Regal and Enchanted but no.  Back on board Azura soon and Arcadia later this year.  After muster, first thing is a trip to reception to enquire.  And the other half quite often finds me wandering around the watch shops.

• Like 1

We attended a virtual bridge tour on Arvia yesterday undertaken by one of the officers, Ross, and it was excellent. Very well attended at 2pm in the theatre it lasted about 50 minutes including a Q&A time at the end.

7 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

They were not being done on Sky Princess in April.

The last one that we did pre-covid was on Azura and was disappointing, we did not visit the bridge and the galley tour was a walk past stainless steel counters where nothing was happening.  Previously we saw galley workers preparing the food.

1 hour ago, gillme said:

We attended a virtual bridge tour on Arvia yesterday undertaken by one of the officers, Ross, and it was excellent. Very well attended at 2pm in the theatre it lasted about 50 minutes including a Q&A time at the end.

That reminded me that I did a virtual ships tours of Oceana and Azura a few years ago.  Also very well presented.

Back then there was sometimes a presentation in the atrium from various departments giving a bit of an insight into behind the scenes.  Usually several stalls, staffed by a couple of members of the relevant department.  The Engineering stall always used to have a can of oil labelled "For lubricating engines" and can of beer labelled "For lubricating engineers" 😃

3 hours ago, gillme said:

That's the one that I wanted to attend last month, with the same guy, but it was cancelled on the day.