Dawn or Spirit?

awatt

Am trying to decide between these two this summer. Have been on the Dawn 3 times and loved it. What are the differences in these ships? Public rooms, cabins, and service- are they very different? Wondering if we'd like the Spirit as much as the Dawn.

Am trying to decide between these two this summer. Have been on the Dawn 3 times and loved it. What are the differences in these ships? Public rooms, cabins, and service- are they very different? Wondering if we'd like the Spirit as much as the Dawn.

Going on the Dawn this Thursday. Thinking of Booking the Spirit for the 10 night 1-13-07 Voyage. 29th Cruise, but only 2nd time on NCL. Good Topic !!!!

I sailed on the Spirit about a year ago and LOVED IT! I am sailing on the Dawn on Thursday and am a little worried that she will not measure up to the Spirit.

I will be sure to come back and let you know how I feel they stack up!

Kim

I'm your opposite. I sailed on the Dawn Last year and loved it. I'm sailing on the Spirit in June and i"m afraid it won't measure up to the Dawn. I know every ship is unique in its own way....so we"ll see.

If this helps at all.........It really depends on what you prefer, for example we are huge fans of hot-tubs and swimming pools. The Dawn of course has that 'secret' hot tub all the way forward that was bigger than the ones around the pool and was often un-occupied. Sounds silly, but that was a big plus for us last May so it's a point to the Dawn. We also felt that the Dawn had a better spa area, with the lap pool, indoor large hot-tub and Hydro Pool. Whilst the Spirit had the Aqua Swim, it was a little difficult to use in rough conditions and was often occupied with several kids despite the 18 age limit and restriction of 'one at a time'. So that's another plus for the Dawn. The gym is much bigger on the Dawn too although the Spirit's gym has a nicer layout with better use of the sea views.

The decor on the Spirit was beautiful and we thought that was nicer than the brighter colors on the Dawn. Windows restaurant is amazing. The cabins seemed similar to that on the Dawn, although the first time we had a balcony and second time an outside cabin. The bathroom was identical apart from that horrid hairdryer...

The restaurants offer more variation on the Dawn than the Spirit in our opinion and you have two more 'no charge' restaurants on the Dawn. I found the specialty restaurants to be identical in quality on both ships for the the restaurants we tried. Galaxy of the Stars on the Spirit was an amazing place to enjoy a drink and watch the ocean; they have a quieter section around the edge of the lounge with partitions so you can still hear the music/entertainment but it's not as loud.

Both ships were wonderful although we are of course not experienced cruisers. I always think it's better to try new things and there are many fans of the Spirit out there who will also tell you to try it for yourselves. I guess if I was forced to choose which we personally preferred I would have to say........The Dawn.

Hope this helps;)

Both ships have individual charms. You can have a great cruise on both ships. Don't sail on the Spirit and expect the Dawn, or vice versa. I love the Galaxay of the Stars on the Spirit. I'm mechanically inclined, and love the ships navigation computer display there, something tangible for me that the Dawn can not deliver. The new Marajaha's Lounge on the Spirit, from what I've read, sounds like a lot of fun! I also love the quiet public open decks aft on the Spirit too. But I've never sailed on the Dawn, so I'm biased towards the Spirit.

They are different ships, with entirely different decors and setups. They both have plenty of restaurants and bars/lounges for variety, your cruise on either ship will not become stale after just a few days. There's always another bar and restaurant to experience.

Which ship is really better depends on what you like. It's personal and very subjective. Everything on the Dawn is slightly larger than what's on the Spirit, since it is a slightly larger ship. But being larger doesn't always make a ship better. As another responder replied, the Gym area on the Dawn is larger, but the Gym area on the Spirit has a better layout. Size isn't everything! Sometimes being smaller is better! Itineraries, weather and sea conditions, and your fellow passengers and crew members often make or break a cruise.

I had a wonderful great cruise on the Spirit, you can too. Likewise, the Dawn is also capable of delivering a great cruise experience. Try both, then come back and report! When you do, don't compare gym to gym, pool to pool, restaurant to restaurant. Report what your experience was, what you enjoyed best on both ships, and what you didn't enjoy on both ships. It's the overall cruise experience I'm interested in reading :)

Yes, the Dawn is slightly larger and newer than the Spirit. While I have never sailed on the Dawn, I have read its a great ship. From my experience with the Spirit, its great too.

Frankly, if every ship was the same size, age, and of the same class, it would be a dull world. Sailing on the same ship over and over is dull too. Brighten your experience with a different ship....

Thanks for your comments. Was lookng I guess for some positive comments on the Spirit from those who have also been on the Dawn, and I got it! I don't expect the Spirit to be the Dawn, from the pictures I can tell it's different. I do enjoy different ships, and even different lines- just returned from the Radisson Navigator and Celebrity Constellation before that. I think ALL cruises are wonderful! Will post some comments about the Spirit afterwards, to help others who may have the same dilemma.

Archived