Using onboard credit for pre-booked excursions?

Shep_Proudfoot

I received $100 onboard credit when I booked. I was planning to put toward shore excursions but there does not seem to be an option to do so now that pre-booking is open.

Is there a way to do this without waiting until the cruise, when the good ones may be sold out? Don’t really have any use for the credit on anything else.

Basically, no.  The only way you can make that work is to book your excursion in advance.  THen, when you board, go to the big red desk and cancel it (they will refund it to your credit card as long as you are more than 24 hours before the excursion) and rebook the excursion on board.  The risk, of course, is that someone else will grab it while you are making the changes. 

Loot is on board credit, which is not officially credited to your account until you are on board (sometimes several hours later).

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

Basically, no.  The only way you can make that work is to book your excursion in advance.  THen, when you board, go to the big red desk and cancel it (they will refund it to your credit card as long as you are more than 24 hours before the excursion) and rebook the excursion on board.  The risk, of course, is that someone else will grab it while you are making the changes. 

Loot is on board credit, which is not officially credited to your account until you are on board (sometimes several hours later).

Ohh this is a good tip! I’m going to try this - thankyou!

4 hours ago, cantgetin said:

THen, when you board, go to the big red desk and cancel it (they will refund it to your credit card as long as you are more than 24 hours before the excursion) and rebook the excursion on board. 

I thought it had to be cancelled 24 hours before embarkation to get a credit card refund (24 hours before the excursion to get a refund in OBC vs losing the amount totally).  I’ve never tried to cancel and get a credit card refund while a voyage was in progress, but that’s what the terms make it sound like at least!

11 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

I thought it had to be cancelled 24 hours before embarkation to get a credit card refund (24 hours before the excursion to get a refund in OBC vs losing the amount totally).  I’ve never tried to cancel and get a credit card refund while a voyage was in progress, but that’s what the terms make it sound like at least!

I can confirm that the cancellation policy is 24 hours prior to the excursion taking place. On the last cruise we thought we wanted to do the Rice Rice Baby and also Painting & Bevvies... I booked them right away on board and then cancelled before the 24 hour window... the sailor loot was returned to my account.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lisabucsfan1 said:

I can confirm that the cancellation policy is 24 hours prior to the excursion taking place. On the last cruise we thought we wanted to do the Rice Rice Baby and also Painting & Bevvies... I booked them right away on board and then cancelled before the 24 hour window... the sailor loot was returned to my account.

oh sorry - good point about the excursion booked with a credit card... I have not actually tried that...