Seattle--Planning short pre- and post-cruise visits

Bruin Steve

We're arriving at SeaTac at 10:55 am on Sunday, August 20.

Staying at Fairfield Inn, Downtown (7th and John) one night.

Cruising on Quantum of the Seas August 21.

Disembark Monday, August 28...Flying out of SeaTac 4:25 pm.

Questions:

Airport to hotel:  Uber/Lyft?

Remainder of Sunday:  What to do nearby?  Dinner:  Is 5 Point Cafe (near hotel) worthwhile?  Other recommendations?

Monday:  Looks like less than 3 miles to RCCL Pier--Uber/Lyft?

Disembarkation day:  Get to Airport by what time?  Too much time to kill, but will have luggage--any recommendations?  Ship to Airport:  Uber/Lyft?

Thanks.

Yes, do use Uber or Lyft to travel from SeaTac to your hotel, then to Pier 91 on embarkation day.

Suggest that you use the free Port Valet and have your luggage sent ahead to SeaTac and you will see it at your home airport.  This way you can enjoy a couple of extra hours in Seattle without lugging your suitcases around.  You can get to SeaTac using the light rail system once you are DT Seattle.

https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

• Thanks 1

https://www.the5pointcafe.com/main-menu

5 Point is iconic Seattle diner.  take a look at the menu and decide if this is the place for you

easy walk to the Seattle center check out MoPop and the Glass Garden

on return go over to the Pike Place Market and stroll, have lunch ( window seat at Lowells) then go to SEA.  The link rail is handy with no luggage if you use the service Ferry Watcher suggested, you can bypass the agents, too with just your electronic or kiosk printed boarding pass.  Right thru TSA and done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if you want to be adventurous, you can take the light rail from SeaTac into Downtown.  Look at a map to see where the closest light rail stop is.  Nice views of Seattle once you get out of Beacon Hill Station.

Amtrak runs trains twice a day and its own white buses from Seattle to Vancouver. it follows the beautiful coast . Many people do day trips to Vancouver or stay overnight in Vancouver instead ofSeattle since the American exchange rates gives you additional 34-40% off everything in Canada. Many go because Vancouver is more beautiful and the quality of the restaurants is a thousand better than Seattle. 

go ahead and reserve Amtrak. it does sell out  

Yes, Uber/Lyft (or onsite towncars - around the same price, more legroom) from the airport to the hotel and hotel to cruise terminal.  Port Valet for your bags, then explore away.  If you can't use Port Valet, maybe head to the airport and either check your bags (which airline?) or use the luggage storage service there.  As for what to see and do, obviously it's your call, but if it was me, I'd probably hit Uwajimaya in the International District (5 min. walk from light rail) for a late lunch in their food court, also maybe browse the branch of Kinokuniya Books (Japan's largest book chain) within the Uwajimaya market, and maybe buy some unusual Japanese snacks for the flight.  Then I'd be tempted to visit the Museum of Flight, at Boeing Field, halfway between downtown and Seatac airport.  IMO it's the second-best air and space museum in the country, after the Smithsonian.  

Note that in a pinch, the Museum of Flight will store your bags while you tour the museum - good for a couple of hours or more.  The Museum cafe is quite nice and the gift shop is to die for.  If you do that, an Uber or cab to the airport won't cost that much.

For the evening meal on arrival Sunday, the 5 Point is a hoot, or if you want something a little more upmarket, the Tilikum Place Cafe around the corner is very good.  

17 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Questions:

Airport to hotel:  Uber/Lyft?

Remainder of Sunday:  What to do nearby?  Dinner:  Is 5 Point Cafe (near hotel) worthwhile?  Other recommendations?

Monday:  Looks like less than 3 miles to RCCL Pier--Uber/Lyft?

Disembarkation day:  Get to Airport by what time?  Too much time to kill, but will have luggage--any recommendations?  Ship to Airport:  Uber/Lyft?

Uber/Lyft:  yes, for all ground transport in Seattle.  Drivers are generally very good, cars are generally very clean and you can see them coming and going on the app.  It is the only way I do ground transport in Seattle when I don't have my car with me.

TSA at SeaTac is a mess.  Use the luggage transfer services that others have suggested, if possible, it will make your life a whole lot easier.  Also, use the SEA Spot Saver to schedule your trip through screening.

https://www.portseattle.org/SEAspotsaver

You'll want to be at SeaTac about 2:30 for your flights, that is mostly to accommodate getting through TSA, and using the Spot Saver to schedule a time will help you get through a lot quicker, too.

I'm a huge fan of 13 Coins for dining in the Seattle area.  They have one location in Pioneer Square and another outside of the airport, but you could spit inside the airport fence from the 13 Coins location at SeaTac, it is that close.  Google maps is your friend when looking for stuff in Seattle (or anyplace) and you can get a feel for where places are, if they are walk-able or if you will need an Uber.