Walvis Bay to Swakopmund

exiledowl

Has anyone done the above as a day trip there and back?

We were wondering if there is any local transport available as we are docking in Walvis Bay in January next year. 

Thanks for any advice. 

• 3 weeks later...

I see that you haven't had any response to your question and unfortunately I can't help you with information about a visit to Swakopmund but we were in Walvis bay in December 2022 and did an independent tour along the coast to Sandwich Harbour which was amazing. I used Red Dene Safaris, Namibia 

(https://www.reddunesafarisnamibia.com). John Paul, the owner responded very quickly to our correspondence and willingly accommodated  all our requests. He was waiting for us at the port exit  and he made the day really memorable. In fact, the tour was one of our very best.

Below is my diary entry for the day plus a few photographs.....maybe something to consider!

Walvis Bay port.

·         the port is large and industrial

·         There was a regular free shuttle service with 2 drop-off points - the beach and the town centre.

·         The tour busses for ship’s excursions were parked a shortish walk from the gangway.

·         There were tour operators offering trips to the sand dunes and lagoons  waiting at the port exit. There were taxis too.

·         A group of people had set up a souvenir market along the roadside close to the port exit.

·         It is possible to walk into town and to a beach if you are reasonably fit.

J&I - independent tour with Red Dunes Safaris. 08.30 - 18.00

·         I had done an internet search for a company that could pick us up at the port and tailor our tour to our requirements. I looked at several companies and emailed 3 but only got a prompt and personal response from JP at RDS. We emailed a few times and he always responded quickly and was very willing to provide the experiences that I suggested.

·         John-Pierre was waiting for us at the port exit and his 4x4 was parked a few metres away.

·         JP established our requirements and then set off to take us through the town to the wetland bird reserve where there were lots of flamingos and ducks.

·         From there we drove down to the town promenade (beautiful houses) to see more flamingos.

·         JP took us to the huge salt pans and then onto the beach where there was a large colony of seals with their pups and a ship wreck.

·         The tour continued with a long drive (40km) along the coast and through the sand dunes to Sandwich Harbour.

·         We stopped at an aquifer where there was a wooden platform to sit on while we had a picnic. JP had been very thoughtful and had included a bottle of non-alcoholic sparkling wine.

·         We continued on to Sandwich Harbour where he drove the 4x4 up the huge and steep sand dunes in a ‘dune bashing’! The views along the coast were spectacular.

·         JP took a different route back through the desert and we saw a jackal, onyxes, ostriches and springbok.

·         We got back to the port at 18.00 which was long after our agreed time of 15.30 after a great day with an excellent guide!

IMG_7914.thumb.JPG.45860933d52c4078c0ce4c9b2dbac678.JPG

4Y9A5538.thumb.JPG.fb565847c2c6b7f3c420f7f6ea2a8441.JPG

4Y9A5568.thumb.JPG.1abad3f32399e464d48d111b09f82e7c.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_7904.thumb.jpg.4da623aa704f77aeb1e76c9490799a39.jpg

IMG_7962.thumb.JPG.720dc406f201fc7009882e7f25194993.JPG

IMG_7965.thumb.JPG.8b7941c2106254573f3c01e78a355030.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_5568.thumb.jpg.9248c42f32245277d34436012e47b66a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7981.thumb.jpg.e926ef79f767b73188fb2c969cb9f0fd.jpg

Ooh thanks a lot for all that and the wonderful photos Issue is.

We'll certainly have a look at the tours Red Dune have to offer, like you we haven't had much response from tourist offices and companies in the region. 

It's interesting to note that you say there were taxis waiting at the port exit, I'm sure if we can get a decent group organised a trip with one of them would undercut the ship's jaw dropping excursion price to Swakopmund dramatically!

We're docked overnight in Walvis Bay so we've probably got chance for 2 trips if we're on the ball.

Once again, thanks for all the info and pics!

Hi exiledowl, I'm glad the information was useful. We loved our time in Walvis Bay. I'd love to know your cruise itinerary if you don't mind sharing it. We sailed on Azamara Journey from Lisbon to Cape Town in November and December last year and had an amazing time. I love the diversity of the African continent.

3 hours ago, Izzywiz said:

Hi exiledowl, I'm glad the information was useful. We loved our time in Walvis Bay. I'd love to know your cruise itinerary if you don't mind sharing it. We sailed on Azamara Journey from Lisbon to Cape Town in November and December last year and had an amazing time. I love the diversity of the African continent.

Hi izziwiz, our itinerary is from Hamburg to Bremerhaven via the rest of the world.

We're sailing with Phoenix , a German company on a cruise lasting the best part of 5 months, if you want to see it in total look at their website, you should be able to find an English translation .It runs from the 21st of December until the 12th of May 2024.

The first leg, similar to your trip, calls at Lisbon, Santa Cruz, Dakar, Banjul, Jamestown, Walvis Bay, Lüderitz and finally Cape Town (3 days there, fortunately), hence my posting of relevant questions.

The MS Amera is a relatively small vessel (830 pax) and as such can reach one or two places larger ships can't.

We've been scrimping and saving for some months now as you might imagine.

I'll put a roll call on CC at a later date in case anyone else in Germany reads the site.

We've been on the Amera twice before and in both cases I was the only Brit on board, apart from some of the entertainment crew.

Wow Exiledowl, what a fabulous trip and how lovely to be on a small ship....I'm not fond of the huge new ships. 

We have been to all the ports you mention except Jamestown and, as you see, I keep quite a detailed diary for each port so, if I can be of help with the other ports, please don't hesitate to ask.

Although I have lived in Staffordshire for the last 53 years I am still a Yorkshire girl - Leeds born and bred (cheese with Christmas cake and mince pies!!!) and had relatives who lived in Gleadless so we visited Sheffield often. It's always nice to be in contact with another Tyke. 

Happy cruising

I've just found your itinerary and think it is fabulous. We have been to 32 of your ports and had a holiday on Easter island last October. I have fairly recent information from 2020 about Colombo, Singapore, Bali, Komodo Island, Ambon, Port Douglas, Cairns and Sydney. Our cruise to Bora Bora, Moorea and Papeete was in 2018 as was or trip that included St. John's and Cork so some fairly recent info for those port too.

Easter Island

RB2A8521.thumb.JPG.d89e1b6a60d0474a6dbe7c51dc38c279.JPG

Colombo,

IMG_2417.thumb.JPG.bb3fbc170210af6f49007aabcf89b0d2.JPG

Singapore,

IMG_5108.thumb.JPG.98ab05cf9e30694808bed6ef416e57a3.JPG

Bali,

IMG_2056.thumb.JPG.a4c4ff0082a2736b9354b1102381b5c9.JPG

Komodo Island,

IMG_4861.thumb.JPG.5d1c841a1a31f70b6377e25bf77b3ad7.JPG

Ambon,

IMG_4742.thumb.JPG.b729b375af05e1d527055dd1b0551a11.JPG

Port Douglas,

IMG_4272.thumb.JPG.9f712c312241839c1ef5203c5f23a501.JPG

Cairns

IMG_4498.thumb.JPG.cc55106e4a6e1d9dffbc4e5da427e832.JPG

Sydney

IMG_0011.thumb.JPG.e6f79d031bff5c80579595719440caaa.JPG

20 hours ago, Izzywiz said:

I've just found your itinerary and think it is fabulous. We have been to 32 of your ports and had a holiday on Easter island last October. I have fairly recent information from 2020 about Colombo, Singapore, Bali, Komodo Island, Ambon, Port Douglas, Cairns and Sydney. Our cruise to Bora Bora, Moorea and Papeete was in 2018 as was or trip that included St. John's and Cork so some fairly recent info for those port too.

Easter Island

RB2A8521.thumb.JPG.d89e1b6a60d0474a6dbe7c51dc38c279.JPG

Colombo,

IMG_2417.thumb.JPG.bb3fbc170210af6f49007aabcf89b0d2.JPG

Singapore,

IMG_5108.thumb.JPG.98ab05cf9e30694808bed6ef416e57a3.JPG

Bali,

IMG_2056.thumb.JPG.a4c4ff0082a2736b9354b1102381b5c9.JPG

Komodo Island,

IMG_4861.thumb.JPG.5d1c841a1a31f70b6377e25bf77b3ad7.JPG

Ambon,

IMG_4742.thumb.JPG.b729b375af05e1d527055dd1b0551a11.JPG

Port Douglas,

IMG_4272.thumb.JPG.9f712c312241839c1ef5203c5f23a501.JPG

Cairns

IMG_4498.thumb.JPG.cc55106e4a6e1d9dffbc4e5da427e832.JPG

Sydney

IMG_0011.thumb.JPG.e6f79d031bff5c80579595719440caaa.JPG

Hi Izzywiz, thanks once again for the lovely photos and info, it's brilliant to be in contact with someone who has visited  a lot of places that we will be visiting. 

We'd love to read your diary for all our destinations that you've already been to if that's ok. Following knee operations my wife Ingrid can't walk very far (although she can climb into tender boats) so we've been having discussions about what is doable and what isn't so your info would be invaluable in this respect. 

And although I said we'd been saving up for months that should read "years"!

On your Komodo photo you must have been a brave lass to stand with your back to those dragons, I've read that they can give you a lethal bite.

Also noticed you've holidayed on Easter Island; our cruise catalogue states that a visit is only possible with the ship's excursion programme, which seems illegal to me.Did you fly there?

Once again thanks for getting in touch. 

We might actually get some inspiration on what to do in Banjul on New Year's Eve!

Look forward to hearing from you again. 

Hi Exiledowl, I haven't been called a 'lass' for a very long time but it is so nice to hear the expression again. Here, in Stoke, I get called 'duck' or 'shug' which I've now grown used to....LOL!

I, too, have quite severe mobility issues and now need a wheelchair for long distances but, happily, the brain still works and the desire to travel just increases so I try to be sensible in what I can manage. My DH is very fit and active so he often 'parks' me under a tree or in a café and then disappears for an hour or so!!!.

I am very happy to share my information with you but, as there is a lot, it might be easier if I email it to you. This is my email - isabel48  at  hotmail . co . uk  (no spaces) so if you can send me an email with  your address I can make a start.

Fortunately, the Komodo dragons had been fed just before we got there but they are huge and quite fearsome looking so I was glad there were guides with us with sticks to protect us.

We flew to Easter Island from Santiago and stayed for 4 nights which was an incredible experience. It was an add-on to a Hurtigruten cruise which included the Galapagos Islands. I can understand that sightseeing on the island has to be done by ship's tour as there is very limited access to transport to the statue sights. The resident population of the island is only around 7,000 and the infrastructure, although it is being upgraded all the time, isn't as modern as many of the places that you will visit.

Looking forward to hearing from you 

Isabel

IMG_4853.thumb.JPG.784847496f41d81586bfb0b23d7a2ac5.JPG

RB2A6447.thumb.JPG.99eb1bf0803640744941aed252995ed0.JPG

1 hour ago, Izzywiz said:

Hi Exiledowl, I haven't been called a 'lass' for a very long time but it is so nice to hear the expression again. Here, in Stoke, I get called 'duck' or 'shug' which I've now grown used to....LOL!

I, too, have quite severe mobility issues and now need a wheelchair for long distances but, happily, the brain still works and the desire to travel just increases so I try to be sensible in what I can manage. My DH is very fit and active so he often 'parks' me under a tree or in a café and then disappears for an hour or so!!!.

I am very happy to share my information with you but, as there is a lot, it might be easier if I email it to you. This is my email - isabel48  at  hotmail . co . uk  (no spaces) so if you can send me an email with  your address I can make a start.

Fortunately, the Komodo dragons had been fed just before we got there but they are huge and quite fearsome looking so I was glad there were guides with us with sticks to protect us.

We flew to Easter Island from Santiago and stayed for 4 nights which was an incredible experience. It was an add-on to a Hurtigruten cruise which included the Galapagos Islands. I can understand that sightseeing on the island has to be done by ship's tour as there is very limited access to transport to the statue sights. The resident population of the island is only around 7,000 and the infrastructure, although it is being upgraded all the time, isn't as modern as many of the places that you will visit.

Looking forward to hearing from you 

Isabel

IMG_4853.thumb.JPG.784847496f41d81586bfb0b23d7a2ac5.JPG

RB2A6447.thumb.JPG.99eb1bf0803640744941aed252995ed0.JPG

Hi Isabel, email sent just now.

You're right I wouldn't fancy coming face to face with one of those buggers.