How do I know where my ship docks in Istanbul?

We are sailing into Istanbul on the MSC Peosia on Oct 22, 2023. I have been told that she docks at one particular location and again at a different location. I am looking to book a private tour with a pick-up at the terminal. Is there one main terminal or how can I see where the ship does dock?

Cheers

Len

Hi Len.

There's only one port location - Galataport

It's a re-development which opened about 3 years ago on the site of the previous archaic facility, the name of which I don't recall but very probably the other,-  and now out-of-date - name that you've been given.

But it's a big facility, capable of handling 4 or 5 ships - so don't cut your timing too fine and do be sure that your tour operator gives you a precise location of where to meet.

Great city to explore 🙂

Super-friendly people (except perhaps the taxi drivers 😏)

JB 🙂

I would Google Galataport and read up on it.  And there are YouTube videos to look at too.  It's a very large facility -- cruise port, underground parking and drop off/pick up locations, shopping mall, offices, restaurants, etc.  And as John Bull says, it can handle multiple ships at a time.  The ships line up end-to-end, so it's a lengthy stretch of possibilities.  There have been reports that it can be a lengthy walk to get off the ship and navigate thru a maze of walkways and escalators to get out of the facility.  I would discuss with your tour guide the specifics of how to meet.  They should be in a better position than you to guide you to specific exits/pickup areas.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

11 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Thanks, guys, and a hit to you John, we haven't spoken in quite a while. Hope all is well and you are still cruising.

Cheers

Len

Hi, Len.

Yes, long time no see.

And yes, still cruisin', mixed in with safaris, road trips & such.

If I didn't thank you at the time, many thanks for suggesting St Lucia.

We re-vamped our plans to include it - a great day, literally dozens of hippos (including one which regularly rosses the main street) and the nearby Nat Park with elephants, giraffes, zebras, multiple deer etc.

I said just "St Lucia" to get others wondering where the hell in St Lucia we saw hippos & elephants & such.

Mebbe someone will ask on the Caribbean boards 😏🤣🤣🤣

JB 🙂

• Like 1

It did make me wonder a bit when I read it.

Any tips you can give for Istanbul? We are there for a full day and leave like 1 in the AM.

I do remember some of our conversations, especially when I see something on one of our favorite places, Stonehenge, which you always referred to as 'that pile of rocks'. Good memories LOL

Chers

Len

3 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

It did make me wonder a bit when I read it.

Any tips you can give for Istanbul? We are there for a full day and leave like 1 in the AM.

I do remember some of our conversations, especially when I see something on one of our favorite places, Stonehenge, which you always referred to as 'that pile of rocks'. Good memories LOL

Chers

Len

Hi again, Len

Main area of interest is Sultanahmet - take the tram across the Galata Bridge which crosses the Golden Horn and uphill to the Sultanahmet stop.

The Blue Mosque is close by, plus the Roman Cistern (007's "From Russia With Love") and Hagia Sophia. Then cross to the Grand Bazaar & walk thro it to down near the Galata Bridge. Mebbe  look in at the Spice Market too.

That side of the bridge are ferries up the Bosphorus (I recommend. much better than the tour boats) or across to the Asia shore). If the ferries run late into the evening mebbe  stop off for dinner at one of the stops.

Or dinner in Sultanahmet or on the lower level of the Galata Bridge.

Super-interesting city, friendly people, you'll love it.

But no hippos.😏

JB🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

Hi again, Len

Main area of interest is Sultanahmet - take the tram across the Galata Bridge which crosses the Golden Horn and uphill to the Sultanahmet stop.

The Blue Mosque is close by, plus the Roman Cistern (007's "From Russia With Love") and Hagia Sophia. Then cross to the Grand Bazaar & walk thro it to down near the Galata Bridge. Mebbe  look in at the Spice Market too.

That side of the bridge are ferries up the Bosphorus (I recommend. much better than the tour boats) or across to the Asia shore). If the ferries run late into the evening mebbe  stop off for dinner at one of the stops.

Or dinner in Sultanahmet or on the lower level of the Galata Bridge.

Super-interesting city, friendly people, you'll love it.

But no hippos.😏

JB🙂

Thanks John for the great suggestions. I'll definitely look into them.

Cheers

Len

• Like 1