Is a Panama Canal cruise a guy thing?

rcrabb1513

For those who like canals...

There is an Erie Canal tour in Fairport NY, outside Rochester.  Only 2 hours, and you go thru 1 lock and back.  But that is using 1820's technology.  The guide has good history of the building and running of the canal.  My DW really liked it.

And yes, there are LOW bridges. 1 is very low.  If you are ever in the area on a nice summer day, try it.

As for PC, wasn't on either mine of DW's list, but we love cruising and seeing new places.  This seemed to be the "next step" that is not too bad on the budget for the associated travel to-from the ports.

Alaska was a "why do I want to go there?" cruise, now we have been 3 times, and looking for a 4th maybe next year.

A PC cruise could be the same for you.

On 6/7/2023 at 11:53 AM, mahdnc said:

My wife and I are booked on this Apr 2024 sailing.  For us, I can tell you the Canal is a "dad" thing,  My wife and 2 adult kids (one boy and one girl) have zero interest which is why it will be our 18th Celebrity cruise before we finally get to go.

I work in the Joliet area--near (but not at!) Statesville.

I've been teasing my husband about the same thing! It seems a very "dad" thing, like his desire to show up just a little earlier at the airport each time, lol.

That said, my husband is a civil engineer, and it's been a life-long bucket list item for him. I'm normally in charge of planning and he's easy going, so he usually goes along with whatever scheme I come up with and enjoys whatever engineering marvel we find along the way (Pyramids, Great Wall of China, etc.) We'd always planned to do this trip when we were older, but the pandemic definitely left us feeling that we should do things while we can! So here we are, in our early 40s, dragging our daughters (10 and 14) along and making them watch documentaries before we go! We've told them the rest of the trip is for all of us to have fun snorkeling, zip lining, etc. but the day in the canal is for Dad!