Skagway dog sled tour on your own

audcc77

Carnival has this tour for about $200 a person.

I found it on the Internet for $149 a person and includes pick up and drop off from the cruise port. 

According to the company, Carnival allows this.  

In the Caribbean, if Carnival has a tour listed, and you try to go through them as a private person, Carnival will not allow it, so the tour operator will not be able to accommodate you. You must go through the cruise line to get the tour.

has anyone done this tour  before on your own?

Because when you go to book, the tour companies ask if you’re on a cruise ship.  

Some tour companies won’t book you privately because they have a deal or contract with the cruise line to book hundreds of people that way and the cruise lines forbid them to book. 

Alaska must be different.  I’m going to try it.  

I assume this is the one at Caribou.   I remember literally being there (I drove up, before all the crowds made it there) and being offered the ride on the spot.  They didn't ask if I was on a ship, nothing.  $149 sounds about right.  I declined because I have done dogsledding as a full-day trip in the winter before.  I certainly don't recommend doing what I did, because the only reason the tour was available was because it wasn't even 10am yet.

• 7 months later...

So are you saying that you can't rent a car in Skagway and drive up to the Musher camp and do like general admission? We were hoping to hit the Musher camp and the bridge but no excursion does that.

I mapped it and have seen other threads where people have also done them same. But now I'm worried something has changed. Thoughts?