Any Experience with Cruiseline Formalwear?

custompcsys

Hi folks,

For my cruise on the Star this June I decided to give the formalwear rental from Cruiseline Formalwear a try, mainly for 2 reasons....one is that it avoids my having to lug a suit, a couple of shirts, shoes, and all the other little goodies from Vermont to Copenhagen. The other is I thought a tux would be a nice touch in northern Europe and its been ages since I've worn one! Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with renting formalwear from Cruiseline or have any tips? Just wondering if I should bring a backup anyway! Thanks! :D

Hi folks,

For my cruise on the Star this June I decided to give the formalwear rental from Cruiseline Formalwear a try, mainly for 2 reasons....one is that it avoids my having to lug a suit, a couple of shirts, shoes, and all the other little goodies from Vermont to Copenhagen. The other is I thought a tux would be a nice touch in northern Europe and its been ages since I've worn one! Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with renting formalwear from Cruiseline or have any tips? Just wondering if I should bring a backup anyway! Thanks! :D

Hi there...I rented 2 tuxedo's from them last October for our sons. I have my own, so I did not need one. We liked using them for our needs. Our boys had nice tuxes to wear and they were delivered on time. The price was reasonable also.

You are the 3rd. Vermonter that I have stumbled upon here in the last week. I have been on this site for a while without really finding anyone else from our state here until now.

Bob:)

I used them on a HAL cruise from Rio to Santiago. The tux was in the room the day we boarded and I left it hanging the day before we ended the cruise and it was collected. It fit and I had no problems with it. I would not hesitate to use them again.

I own a tux but to save space in our luggage on longer cruises, or those not out of Boston, I have rented through the cruiseline and have been very satisfied with the quality and fit of the tuxes that have been provided and the price. They have always been delivered on time, in excellent condition, and picked up at the end of the cruise. IMHO it is well worth the expense, when you want to avoid luggage the tux and its accoutrements to and from your cruise.:)

I own a tux but to save space in our luggage on longer cruises, or those not out of Boston, I have rented through the cruiseline and have been very satisfied with the quality and fit of the tuxes that have been provided and the price. They have always been delivered on time, in excellent condition, and picked up at the end of the cruise. IMHO it is well worth the expense, when you want to avoid luggage the tux and its accoutrements to and from your cruise.:)

Yep - we do too. We debated for weeks about whether or not to bring it... Ultimately, as you mentioned, the thought of lugging it across the country and then onto the ship (folded in a suitcase! :eek: ) and the fact that we only have one tuxedo shirt (when there are 2 formal nights) just convinced us that renting was the way to go - have everything you need waiting for you when you get there, no worries about laundering/dry-cleaning anything and then leave it all when you disembark!

Yep, we have used them on all of our cruises for years. It has always been waiting for us in the room when we arrive, and for some unknown reason, (at least to my husband) the last two times the jacket was too tight and needed to exchanged. He's put on a little weight...The steward took care of exchanging it for a larger one...We will use them again this year...

I have used cruiseline formal 3 times now and have been very happy. One tip, add a little to your neck size. The shirts run a little tight and if you have sunburn, you'll like more neck room.

I like renting the white dinner jacket set (very 007). They are good quailty and in good shape.

Mike

I tried renting the rose colored one with the pink ruffles for our upcoming cruise but the are booked solid so I am having to go with that old fashioned black and white tux. :p I did order the vest but since they still throw in the cummerbund I think I should wear it for one of the nights...wait, maybe not. I would risk my wife not wanting to be seen with me for the rest of the cruise. he he. ;)

I actually rented from them back in 2001 and they were great. My comments would echo those above. The funny thing is, their website is EXACTLY the same as it was 5 years ago. I guess they don't need it to be too advanced just to order a tux.

I've used them successfully several time - much more convenient. Recently on the Sapphire, I decided to try the white dinner jacket package though - the jacket was terrible quality - polyester/wrinkled-looked just awful!

I contacted our steward right after boarding and examining the jacket and asked for it to be either replaced with a better quality one or to get a regular black tux jacket.

The supervisor came by on Monday with the white jacket but it still looked godawful - which he agreed. He then promptly replaced it with a black one which fit well. The quality of the white jacket - for some reason - was terribly inferior to the black one. No idea who in their right mind would wear it. Maybe I just got a dud this time but thought I'd pass it along....

Rob

I originally hail from Barre (Hey, Bob!). We have used Formal at Sea twice. They first time we both rented. My dress outfit was fine, but they messed up my husband's pants and he got some that were way, way too big. They did have some other sizes, but he's 6'5", so there weren't any other available. We had to pin them up the back to keep them from falling off. it was fine until he was next to meet the captain and he bent over to tie his shoe - all his pins popped :eek: and we have a great picture of us, with me smirking because I'm holding his pants up out of sight of the camera. I put in a dart when we got back to the cabin to avoid this again. The next time, everything was fabuous, Princess could not have been more accomodating. After that, I just bought him a tux to avoid the hassle.

Moral of the story - renting with Formals at sea is okay, but make sure you have thread and a supply of safety pins - just in case!

Happy Sails,

Charlie

hi ...just rented a tux on the 2/12 sailing of the star.....tux was in cabin on day we sailed......this is the second time i rented on princess....it sure beats carrying it with you..........p.s enjoy your cruise.....it is a real nice ship....

I accidently brought the wrong dark suit for my DH on our CB cruise. He rented a tux at the last minute and it fit perfectly. He had his own dress shoes so that was taken care of anyway. They had it in our cabin in 15 minutes after he was measured for it. The formal pictures look great too.

An older woman hit on him and he was smiley after that! She was in her 80's tho.

Myrna

Hi folks,

I have only rented the Tux from this source once. I had a good experience with it. I rented the white dinner jacket tux. The only bad point was the rented shoes. They were to wide and I wound up with blisters. This may have been my fault, as I tried a pair at a local Tux rental place and ordered the same size from the ship, big mistake! They were not the same.

As a retired military person, I have since then decided to wear my Army Mess dress uniform on formal nights.

If you plan to take more than 1 cruise it is smarter to buy one and take it on the ship. I find 2 rentals can pay for a tux at Men's Warehouse or Sims or other discount mens stores. This way if it gets wrinkled just have it pressed when you get on board. I don't like wearing clothes someone previously wore.

If you plan to cruise several times a year I would have a custom made tux. This is your excuse for traveling to Hong Kong or Thailand where they a re really cheap. Be sure to buy light weight material as it's best in tropical climes and doesn't wrinkle much. And while in port your significant other can buy you the cuff links and studs at the jewelery store she is looking at all the gold and diamonds for you to buy.

Archived