Staying overnight at Miami & Parking

curleyjane

I'm cruising on the Jewel next year and thinking about spending the night before in Miami. Is it easy to get to the parking garage and find a place to park for the week at the Port of Miami? What parking garage is for the Jewel?

What time should we arrive at the Port? Thanks for any feedback.

Jane, if you check out parksleepfly.com you'll find at least two hotels that let you park free while you cruise. In January we stayed at Baymont Inn & Suites near the airport, and left our car there. They had a very large van (free) to take you to the port, but did not have return transportation; a taxi cost us under $20 w/tip I think. I believe the rooms were $89. It's an average place, very clean, nothing special. It's not close to any tourist attractions, but if you have a car, that's not a real problem.

We took the van at noon and were on board before one.

Jan

I'm cruising on the Jewel next year and thinking about spending the night before in Miami. Is it easy to get to the parking garage and find a place to park for the week at the Port of Miami? What parking garage is for the Jewel?

What time should we arrive at the Port? Thanks for any feedback.

To answer your question, yes it's easy to get to the parking garage at Port of Miami. We usually arrive before noon (actually 11am) and have never had a problem finding a spot. When you stop at the Port security gate ask them which garage is for the Jewel. They'll direct you, it's impossible to get lost.

Sure you can park for free at the "park and fly hotels" BUT, for me it's worth the $12 a day to park at the Port. It's the securest parking lot in Miami, your car will be there when you return. The parking is covered so your cars out of the sun and elements. With the park and fly hotels you'll pay for the room for a night and transportation from the port back to the hotel, so it actually works out to be cheaper to leave your car at the port for the week. ;)

With the park and fly hotels you'll pay for the room for a night and transportation from the port back to the hotel, so it actually works out to be cheaper to leave your car at the port for the week. ;)

But Jane mentioned she is staying the night in Miami anyway ... so she would save at least $70 (parking fees minus cab fare back). We've done the free hotel parking thing many times in Galveston, Ft. Lauderdale, San Pedro, and Miami, and have never had a problem with security (knock on wood).

However, we don't drive an expensive luxury car ... not sure if I'd risk a Mercedes or Jaguar! ;) The parking lot at Baymont had a guard on duty in a guardhouse, and we were parked in sight of that.

Didn't realize that Port of Miami parking was all covered for just $12; that IS a good point to consider, as most park-and-cruise hotels do not have covered parking.

Thanks for your responses they have been helpful. Has anybody stayed at the Holiday Inn by the Port of Miami? We're thinking of staying there.

Go to this site http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92

Scroll through the topics and you'll find many reviews of the Holiday Inn at Port of Miami. ;)

Archived