Civitavecchia with 6 ships in port

bzeus1924

Hello,

We will be in port with 5 other ships and are looking for advice.  We were planning on taking the train into Rome but with so many ships in port that day, we are now rethinking it.  I don't want to get stuck with so many extra people in port that day and am now debating doing a tour so I won't have to worry about getting back to the ship.  We have never been to Italy and don't want to miss such a wonderfully historic city, but also don't relish the idea of sitting on a bus with 50 or so other tourists.  Hubby and I almost never take ships tours as we don't like standing around waiting for so many people to get on and off busses, etc.  Our last ship tour in the Caribbean we waited almost an hour and a half on the bus for stragglers to arrive.  I'd almost rather pass on Rome. 

Thoughts?  Recommendations for smaller tour companies?  Any help would be much appreciated!

It should be mentioned that the Port of Civitavecchia can easily handle 6 cruise ships.  Getting back to the ship is not overly difficult with trains (at least every hour) and using shuttle buses.  As to private tour companies, we agree with the suggestions to check out both Rome Cabs (Stefano's Rome Cabs) and Romeinlimo.  

Hank