Prescription meds question- flying into / sailing from Vancouver

When I travel, I generally transfer my prescription meds into a container with a space for each day of the week because it takes up so much less room.  However, I just saw something that said medicines going through customs into Canada must be in their original containers.  We will be flying from the US into the Vancouver airport and sailing from Vancouver for our Alaskan cruise and sailing on Holland America.

Does anyone have experience with this?

i've flown to quebec many times for work and never been questioned.  i could also just be lucky.  i do keep a photo of all my med prescriptions and i have the app from my pharmacy where i can pull up the order.  i am also not traveling with anything that is considered a controlled substance, my pills are blood pressure and allergy pills. 

if you travelling with stuff that isn't a pain med or otherwise controlled substance, and have access to backup, i suspect you are fine, but...

safest thing to do is bring the bottles just in case.

• Like 1

We have both flown in to Vancouver and also crossed the border in a rental vehicle several times.  Through the years I have never been questioned.  The two prescription meds I take are for high blood pressure and a cholesterol med.  No one has ever asked me about what is in my carryon bag.

• Like 1

Not containers - but if not in the original containers, you should have the original labels to comply with the rules. As reported here and on every other thread where this arises, the odds of being asked are very slim indeed, and even if you are the pills can be IDed from data available to CBSA based on markings, colour, size etc. so just having a copy of your 'scrip (which of course nobody should EVER travel without, in case you lose your pills and need replacements!) should be enough to prove you are allowed them - after a delay.

Simplest way to comply is to ask your pharmacy for an extra sticker for each medication, and slap them onto your daily pillcase. Or if you are renewing before travel, ask for smaller size containers or for meds to be combined into blister packs by meal/time/day etc., which is available all over the place these days without even an extra charge in many pharmacy chains, then take just the 'time traveling plus an extra week' blisters.

• Like 2

I agree with the others, the odds of being asked to 'prove' your medications are infinitesimally small.

I've flown between Canada and the US hundreds of times and never once have had anyone question what pills are in what bottle. Customs at YVR airport will ask the purpose of your visit and how long you're staying -- that's it.

Same for cruising, as long as you're not smuggling illicit substances, no one cares what's in your toiletry bag or pill container.

• Like 1

Seriously, how much room could the original pill containers take?!  Not that I'd be worried about proving anything, but I simply would never remove RX pills from their original containers while traveling.  Just my two cents.

If you take a medication that is a controlled substance you should always keep it with the vial.  Some medications are light sensitive and dark vials protect from this.  I agree that a copy of the script is important.  Some countries are strict about this.  I would not venture into Japan, Singapore the Middle East or Asian countries without the original vials.  I was planning a trip to the world master games in Japan and they were very clear about original vials.  At minimum, in an emergency situation having clear info about what medications are in use can help a doctor or EMT with triage.

If you do opt to pre load your daily pill container, make sure to store it in a controlled light situation, like a drawer or inside a travel pouch.  As kindly suggested above, having an extra printed label from your pharmacy is prudent