Never again on RCI - Serenade Mini Review

corstr

I agree that RCI has downgraded its product noticeably in service, food, and attention to detail. Read my review of Voyager of The Seas and you'll see what I mean. It's a shame that RCI is bent on endless activity and revenue production. I work in the hospitality industry and know the challenges of providing decent service and food for a demanding customer . The downward slide RCI has taken is scary and sad. Just because RCI is a mass market line doesn't make mediocre food and service (my experience of the Voyager) acceptable. I also must fully concur w/ statements that solarium and pools on Radiance class ships are smaller and more cramped for the ACTUAL numbers of passengers using these facilities. Vision class ship get my vote hands down.

However, much to my dismay, I've also noticed a steady decline of food and service standards on HAL - now that they too are trying to "get hip" and appeal to a younger passenger base.

In a perfect world - Sitmar would still be sailing the Fairwind & Fairsea w/ jovial Italian stewards and excellent food.

One last comment - I can't help but notice how disrespectful people can be w/ each other on these boards and how quick some are to "correct" another person. People should be GENTLE in spirit w/ each other - whether it's on a ship or the Cruise Critic Board!

I have 2 problems with the OP's review:

1.) The title is "Never again on RCI". So the poster has been on one (I repeat...one) RCI ship and has decided that RCI is terrible? Please...there is nothing "balanced" in this type of review. That's like taking a trip to Sacramento CA...not liking the city...and deciding that you don't like all of California (never again to California). Absolutely doesn't make any sense.

2.) Where is the review of the most important part of a cruise....the employees that make it happen. If I go on a cruise and the crew is excellent, I couldn't care less about design flaws. BTW, I like the so-called design flaws. Almost every good review that you read, starts with a good staff and crew.

Not my idea of a good quality review.

After 12 RCI cruises in the past 5 years, I can attest that the food is exactly the same fleetwide. Meaning, when they implemented the new lunch menus (instead of different lunch menus for each day of the week, they now have the same lunch menu in the dining room for every day, with a 'special' and 'made to order pasta in addition), then they implemented that fleetwide.

They occasionally make changes to the menu, but again, fleetwide.

So I know: First night, I'll be having the Tuscan Tomato Soup, the Spinach Salad with Pine Nuts, and the Chicken.

That is so funny. I just thought the same thing as I was reading your post ......

1.) The title is "Never again on RCI". So the poster has been on one (I repeat...one) RCI ship and has decided that RCI is terrible? Please...there is nothing "balanced" in this type of review. That's like taking a trip to Sacramento CA...not liking the city...and deciding that you don't like all of California (never again to California). Absolutely doesn't make any sense.

2.) Where is the review of the most important part of a cruise....the employees that make it happen. If I go on a cruise and the crew is excellent, I couldn't care less about design flaws. BTW, I like the so-called design flaws. Almost every good review that you read, starts with a good staff and crew.

Actually, in the first line, the OP stated this was the 6th RCI cruise they had been on.

People, it's ok. It's OP's opinion. Some of us RCI homers feel differently, but it's ok! I didn't like my Jewel cruise but it's because I like larger vessels. There are plenty of cruise ships in the sea for all of us. :D I hope he finds the cruise line/class that suits him best and look forward to a great review from him. Won't it be fun going again and again until he finds it??? Life is great even if you prefer a rubber raft and bread and water. Meanwhile, I'm counting down to our two day pre-cruise in South Beach then on to the Freedom in August! :p

Jimmy:

Actually I've been on six RCI cruises and felt that the Serenade food and ship layout was by far the worst. I understand the menus are the same. But the chefs and staff apply their skills in a variable way. I remember the Duck L'Orange aboard Vision was probably the best I've ever had....tender and extremely flavorful. On Serenade it was the same menu item but overcooked and bland, almost unedible. I ordered another to double-check, same thing.

Also I did post the positives and mentioned good service. In fact, the service aboard Serenade is quite good, I was never once without a drink or an offer for one. And my cabin steward was great.

I gought the cruise for $3k per person on Yahoo which is the standard booking system, it was more than Celebrity for the same cabin class and 10-day itin. For that kind of money you expect a really good experience, at least decent food in the dining room and enough seating in the topside areas for the passengers....

FairwindLover, thanks for concurring. I'm not saying that HAL is any better because I haven't sailed it yet, but I'm looking for a cruise line that offers a higher quality of food and more peaceful surroundings without the clutter and madness.

And for the poster who complained about walkers on HAL, If I'm surrounding by older folkds with walkers, who cares, I am mid-thirties and some of the best friends I've met cruising are 60+.... I learn more wisdom from people who are senior to me, and they have great stories of life and love!

thx.

I agree that Royal Caribbean is not the line that it once was...it seems that as time goes by it cheapens itself a little more each time I travel. thankfully I am not much of a pool or sun bather type person so those things don't bother me much (there's something about swimming in a pool with masses of people that does not appeal to me). But I also have some issues. The nickle and diming process that seems to have started and is now growing is one of my biggest gripes...the food in the dinning room and Windjamer has deteriorated, and seems to be getting even worse. The food offerings in the dinning room seem to be cheaper cuts of meat, etc.

The fact that you can't even bring your own water on board is awful....so I have a lot of complaints...but not so many that I will stop cruising on this line yet...however I find myself slowly booking on other lines, but still hoping that Royal Caribbean will come to it's senses. I have sent them enough letters!

If you have cruised HAL and RCI then I'd appreciate your objective comparison of the experience. If anyone here honestly thinks the Radiance class pool and solarium are superior to Vision class I would seriously question your judgment. Vision of the Seas was the best cruise I've been on to date. It was incredible. But to think Radiance is billed as a tremendous improvement is a joke.

RCI is good for what it is. Lots of bingo, plenty of lounges pushing drinks and photo hounds. Have your fun. I'm trying something different. If HAL is inferior I will come back to this board and eat crowe. If not, I will post the facts.

I have done both (45 with RCI) and will be on HAL again - first time in a long while - on 3/25.

I thought Vision was a lovely ship with a fabulous Captain who made Alaska the best experience ever (of 5 cruises there). We had issues with the service in the dining room and truly did not care for the food.

To the poster who states that the menus are the same fleetwide, I would say that the menus alone do not determine the food taste and quality, that is the chef and his staff. I found Majesty and Monarch to be amongst the best in the fleet, Voyager the hands down worst ever.

I have no plans for future cruises with RCI as the changes I have seen over the years (my first RCI cruise was Song of Norway in 1978) have not been positive ones in general. My last RCI cruise was on Serenade in 2004.

The main differences as I see them:

HAL

- Less crowded ships

- Understated decor (except on Vista class)

- Very good service

- Large staterooms with excellent bedding, nicer furniture

- Fresh flowers everywhere

- large pool areas with nice chaises

- quiet, no music by pool most days, no loud contests or annoucements

- fewer kids

- more traditional

- more formal dress code

- Sommeliers

RCI

- Family oriented with lots of kids (in general)

- great fitness program, gym

- sauna/steam at no charge

- friendly, warm and outgoing crew and staff

- no Sommeliers due to budget cuts

- compact but efficient staterooms

- wonderfully maintained ships

- lots of activities, pool games, announcements

- very good night life

- great windjammer buffet

- Portofinos- WOW!

- More casual dress now being allowed

- Concierge Lounge on certain ships

These days I prefer Celebrity over RCI for service, food, spaciousness of ships and attention to detail. Also far fewer families aboard. I am hoping that HAL proves to be another option for me.

I do have to agree with the OP that the main pool area is way too small for the size ship and the number of passengers. It was actually one of the things that I mentioned in my review of Serenade that I felt was a design flaw.

However, I also felt that the solarium was one of the highlights of the ship. It is a beautiful and relaxing atmosphere. As far as the trees and other decorations go, perhaps the OP would prefer that all of the objects that contribute to the ambience be removed to make more space and that the solarium be more in line with the pool area of the local YMCA?

We were on the Zuiderdam 2 years ago and loved it. The food was excellent. We had a really nice mini suite which was very large and comfortable. The pool areas were nothing great but adequate. The entertainment was very good and HAL's private out island is the nicest and prettiest out island we have ever been to.

The Zuideram is very different from the older HAL ships and many HAL regulars (mostly elderly) have complained a lot about the new Vista Class. While their were quite a number of elderly people on our cruise on HAL, there was a large mix of ages from 20 - 50 and quite a number of kids. I found the ambiance and atmosphere of Zuideram to be very similar to RCL.

The best ship we have ever saled was the Grand Princess 5 years ago. If you are looking for great pool areas (5) and more privacy, the Grand and Golden Princess shine in that area. The food on the Grand Princess was the best we have ever had and rivaled many of the 5 star restaurants we have ever been to. The food on the Golden 2 years later was not near as good. The biggest disappointment on the Grand and Golden Princess was their entertainment, but there was great entertainment on the Caribbean Princess.

We were on the Zuiderdam 2 years ago and loved it. The food was excellent. We had a really nice mini suite which was very large and comfortable. The pool areas were nothing great but adequate. The entertainment was very good and HAL's private out island is the nicest and prettiest out island we have ever been to.

The Zuideram is very different from the older HAL ships and many HAL regulars (mostly elderly) have complained a lot about the new Vista Class. While their were quite a number of elderly people on our cruise on HAL, there was a large mix of ages from 20 - 50 and quite a number of kids. I found the ambiance and atmosphere of Zuideram to be very similar to RCL.

The best ship we have ever saled was the Grand Princess 5 years ago. If you are looking for great pool areas (5) and more privacy, the Grand and Golden Princess shine in that area. The food on the Grand Princess was the best we have ever had and rivaled many of the 5 star restaurants we have ever been to. The food on the Golden 2 years later was not near as good. The biggest disappointment on the Grand and Golden Princess was their entertainment, but there was great entertainment on the Caribbean Princess.

Larry, thanks for the observations.

I have not been on Princess to sail in years as my one cruise was such a disappointment. I was aboard CP in September for a TA tour and lunch and she is a lovely ship.

I prefer a smaller ship in general these days and have considered trying Princess again but likely would choose a different class of ship. My best cruise experience ever was on Radisson Diamond but they are too pricey for me to enjoy very often.

In the "old days" HAL was simply too boring for me and the demographic not what I enjoyed. And the food was bland all the way around. I have not cruised on them since the 80s so am really looking forward to ZUI and hoping that the nightlife will be decent and the food good. I am glad to hear you had a positive experience. I thought that Vista class might be a good choice.

These days I look for a sophisticated cruise experience and want ships with great service and good food and a mostly adult clientele.

I will post about ZUI on the HAL board when I return.

If I was to warrant a guess, I would think that though many of the breads, hot foods, and so on are prepared from scratch onboard, and others arrive pretty packaged/frozen/pre-done.

Even working in a deli, I was shocked at how much of the "old fashioned potato salad' came out of a 50 gallon drum, then was artfully arranged in a smaller bowl on ice in the display case. Some things we made fresh, but the VAST majority was pre-made.

Some of the things the waiters try to steer us away from, I think might be some of the worst offenders. A waiter winced when I ordered the lobster bisque once, and it was awfully tinny tasting. So who knows, maybe it comes out of a huge vat (I'm imagining a giant, Andy Warholesque soup can) and every RCI ship that goes out every week has one onboard.

In such a big corporate environment, very little is left to chance. Sure, some chefs might run a tighter ship in the galley, and therefore things are the right temp, not overdone, etc. But I'm guessing with such a mass feeding environment (doesn't that sound yummy?) that RCI leaves little room for wild outbursts of creativity in the kitchens.

That being said, I enjoy the food a lot on cruises. I usually eat breakfast in the Windjammer, and always find a lot of variety, especially so on the larger ships, most particulary on the Radiance class. Lunch in either dining room or Windjammer; Promenade has some terrific sandwich offerings and Seaview Cafe is a gem. Dinner almost always in the dining room, though the specialty restaurants are worth every penny, and once we were consigned to the Windjammer every night when we couldn't get a table in the dining room (I was lecturing so you get last dibs) and you know what? We enjoyed that very much, too!

So it's not that I'm slamming the food, or saying that individual chefs can't make a difference. But I think they try to keep things as homogenized as possible, in part to keep prices down, in part to keep the brand consistent.

I do have to agree with the OP that the main pool area is way too small for the size ship and the number of passengers. It was actually one of the things that I mentioned in my review of Serenade that I felt was a design flaw.

However, I also felt that the solarium was one of the highlights of the ship. It is a beautiful and relaxing atmosphere. As far as the trees and other decorations go, perhaps the OP would prefer that all of the objects that contribute to the ambience be removed to make more space and that the solarium be more in line with the pool area of the local YMCA?

YMCA....that's funny.

no, compare to Vision's solarium...just as pretty but 1/3 more lounges and better use of space. It was like the radiance class designers were on speed or something at the drawing board....yes there is lots of eye candy and stuff but the simple beauty and open layout of Vision-class is gone. oh well. I've heard HAL Vista has layout problems so we'll see.

Don't worry, I will have a very detailed review on my return and you all can take it for what it is worth.

Just remember what Paul Harvey said: "Brats, Cheese and Beer don't make a Life".

Ah...just noticed your location. Now I understand the crabbiness. Actually, I'm a "naturalized" cheesehead. I grew up in California, but I love it here.

Oops, there I go again...being unreasonably happy. Enough said, sandbag7.

On to reasonable conversation - I agree with all who say that the OP has a complete right to air an opinion. And, of course, each of us has just as much right to air ours. I do also appreciate the comment from FairwindLover to be GENTLE in how we address each other...quite wise and quite right.

Having never had the OP's experience I can only comment that I found the Radiance class ship I travelled on excellent in nearly every way except for a couple of obnoxious bartenders. Having read every review I could about our ship, looking at pictures and reading comments on these boards I found that the ship actually exceeded most of our expectations. I had read that some didn't care for the beds, ours was very comfortable (hence the previous comment.) I didn't expect the pool area to be large, it wasn't - I expected the buffet experience to be a buffet experience, it was.

My DH loved the Solarium for all of the reasons the OP didn't like it...I preferred to be in the sun and never had (or witnessed) an issue of fighting for a deck chair. The fact that the chair was mesh fabric rather than cushioned made absolutely no difference to me...I was simply thrilled to be cruising and found it completely comfortable.

We ate breakfast in the Windjammer and had dinner in the main dining room, except for the evening we spent in Chops Grille, which I very highly recommend. The food in the Windjammer was buffet food...you find what you like there and stick with it. I would have preferred a more varied menu in the main dining room but found the food they did have very good. My husband and I each had a small problem with our selections only once and the offending plate was whisked away and replaced rapidly with much better results.

The main pool area was small but the one on the Disney ship we cruised, which was around the same size ship, was much smaller so I guess it exceeded my expectations. I'm one to sun and then take a quick dip and sun some more so I didn't spend very much time actually in the pool. I saved my swimming for the ocean when we were in port. All in all I found that for the money we paid our experience on the RCL Radiance class was extremely enjoyable.

One of the best parts of our cruise was meeting other people from around the world...those working on the ship and the other passengers. Almost without exception they were gracious, interesting and engaging. If the employees weren't happy they didn't show it (except for the aforementioned obnoxious bartenders) which is what I expect from someone working in a service industry. The passengers I met, like myself, were happily enjoying a lovely cruise.

Corstr, I hope you find your perfect ship.;)

Gee, I didn't realize that RCI had scrapped the Serenade and replaced her, actually giving the new ship the same name. Because the OP and I were obviously on two totally different ships.....they just had the same name! We were on the Serenade last September in Alaska and loved it. This was our third Radiance class ship (ROS, JOS) and one of the things I find most appealing about these ships is the layout. I love the Solarium, and I think all the plants sort of soak up sound and that's why it's so peaceful in there.

As for the food, I just returned from the QM2 and I have to tell you, the food there wasn't any better than what I've had on RCI. And I found the dining room service superior on RCI. I was expecting something outstanding from Cunard as far as the food, so I was a bit disappointed there. Especially considering what we paid for this cruise. (I keep telling myself we paid for the "experience")

Thank goodness there are so many ships out there for us to try.....here's hoping the OP is happy with HAL. I know a lot of people rave about it, so they must have something going for them!

You have posted your review, albeit a bit late, and it has been read. Some have agreed with you, some have disagreed, as is their option. You are now at the point of just repeating yourself and being insulting to those who don't see things your way, beating a dead horse. GO, enjoy HAL. BYE

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I love the Serenade and wish I could return to her over and over again. I am worried that other ships may not be as good, since she was my first. I found that most people could find something to complain about, so here is my complaint...My cruise was not long enough! Happy cruising to all.

Actually, I thought the OP was unusually good natured about the drubbing he took!

Drubbing? Hmmmm...read back through the thread and you will find as many agreeing with me as disagreeing....especially about the poor food (RCI going down hill, etc. etc.)...this is reality. And about the poor layout. How many of you used the waterpark that soaks up a quarter of the upper deck?

If you are happy with the Radiance class, fine. But don't attack me for providing a balanced view.

None of you responded to my point about the Vision's solarium being just fine, why cut down on the number of lounges by 30% on Radiance class? What does that achieve except piss off people that couldn't find space (and don't tell me you walked in at 1 p.m. on a sea day and found tons of empty lounges, as you might have aboard Vision). Why reduce the size of the pool area? What does that achieve? The reality is that design flaws were made. Period.

I posted the good and the bad....some of you had the courage to admit where RCI can do some serious improving, namely food.

For the posters wishing that I would just shut up and leave their precious Serenade alone, maybe you are on the wrong board. This website is called Cruise CRITIC. Thats C-R-I-T-I-C...

Drubbing? Hmmmm...read back through the thread and you will find as many agreeing with me as disagreeing....especially about the poor food (RCI going down hill, etc. etc.)...this is reality. And about the poor layout. How many of you used the waterpark that soaks up a quarter of the upper deck?

If you are happy with the Radiance class, fine. But don't attack me for providing a balanced view.

None of you responded to my point about the Vision's solarium being just fine, why cut down on the number of lounges by 30% on Radiance class? What does that achieve except piss off people that couldn't find space (and don't tell me you walked in at 1 p.m. on a sea day and found tons of empty lounges, as you might have aboard Vision). Why reduce the size of the pool area? What does that achieve? The reality is that design flaws were made. Period.

I posted the good and the bad....some of you had the courage to admit where RCI can do some serious improving, namely food.

For the posters wishing that I would just shut up and leave their precious Serenade alone, maybe you are on the wrong board. This website is called Cruise CRITIC. Thats C-R-I-T-I-C...

And you seem hell bent on forcing your opinion down our throats. Many people enjoy the experience that RCI gives. You didn't and that's fine. We all see things differently. Good luck with HAL. Hopefully the will be able to give you what RCI didn't. Personally I will continue sailing with RCI and I will be on one of their Radiance class ships this year.

And you seem hell bent on forcing your opinion down our throats.

Don't you think that is ridiculously dramatic? No one is forcing you to read this thread..... if you don't agree with the poster, stop reading! Geez :rolleyes:

Archived