Never again on RCI - Serenade Mini Review

corstr

We went on the Serenade 1-21-06 and had a fantastic time. So much so that we are going again 1-6-07. I have to say our best ever cruise was NCL Starwood 1988. Small ship great itinerary.

Judy & Steve, we're booked for Serenade 1/6/07, too. We were on the 1/7 sailing this year, and booked while on the ship. Our "small ship great itinerary" was last year on the 11-night Empress itinerary.

Jodi

My inner conversation with myseif:

"Should I say something"

"No, they'll laugh or lash out"

"But I gotta!"

Nobody touched on what should be learned from a review like this. It wasn't his cruise that was bad. It was his expectations that turned it bad. If he would have paid $800, who cares about a little fat on my steak. But when he forked over $3k, he was expecting caviar dreams and champaign wishes (or something like that). Essentially, RCI overpriced their cruise for him.

My wife and I are going on a honeymoon cruise on Splendour of the Seas next month (Vision Class). I expect runny eggs in the Windjammer, not too many lounge chairs on deck, an older ship. I expect that because I have read and re-read the "negative" reviews of the ship and all of RCI. For me, I really don't get anything out of the 100% positive reviews. I don't want to have the expectations that everything is going to be perfect....because I know it won't.

I don't understand why so many feel the need to "defend" here. RCI isn't going to send you free bingo cards for it. If he didn't like the food, he didn't like the food. If you are expecting fillet and you get hamburger, you're not gonna like it.

My only gripe is lines like "it was a design flaw. Period." Design flaw for you. But the designers may have had multiple purposes for the space. But, I got what I needed to get out of it.....small pool and plants. Check.

I'm going to have fun on my cruise. They could serve me cold minute rice and put me on a tug boat for a week. If I get a fillet when I order a hamburger, it's just a bonus.

Don't know what ship he was on, but I'm on the Serenade now and find it beautiful. The kids pool area is constantly full, as are the tables in the solarium.

This is a great ship! The food is wonderful!!

Only complaint is I have to get off the ship on Saturday! This class of ship completely blows the Vision class out of the water.

If you have cruised HAL and RCI then I'd appreciate your objective comparison of the experience. If anyone here honestly thinks the Radiance class pool and solarium are superior to Vision class I would seriously question your judgment. Vision of the Seas was the best cruise I've been on to date. It was incredible. But to think Radiance is billed as a tremendous improvement is a joke.

RCI is good for what it is. Lots of bingo, plenty of lounges pushing drinks and photo hounds. Have your fun. I'm trying something different. If HAL is inferior I will come back to this board and eat crowe. If not, I will post the facts.

Ok.. I raise my hand. I've been on all of the class ships on RCI except the Freedom. I've cruised on the Vision of the Seas as well as the Radiance. Also have cruised on HAL (and most of the major lines).

So here goes.. I agree the pool is smaller on the Radiance Class. However, there are more things on deck so that's the reason. The Vision Class was built a long time ago so the Radiance Class is more similar in size of the Vision - yet tries to include some of the immenities of the Voyager Class. I personally loved my cruise on the Radiance.

However - I don't disagree with your experience. Everyone is different and sometimes 1 cruise can cause someone to try something else. Mine was the Granduer. It was the one cruise that made me give up cruise line loyality.

Now.. to compare RCI to HAL. Doing so on the HAL board - gosh.. I bet you got a lot of bashing there! Sorry.. laughing here. The majority on that board are "S" HAL Loyalists. But.. hey.. it's their thing. I can tell you that you will not find a problem swiming in the pools on HAL unless you go on a 7-day carribean. Don't set yourself up for a disappointment with too much expectations on HAL. Those things you read on the HAL board here are so over exaggerated. You will find the same services as most of the lines. The entertainment is less. BINGO - oh.. HAL is BIG on this. The reason? It's one of the few entertainment options onboard. They announce it all day long. HAL is nice for a relaxing - less active type of cruise. You can read a good book, swim in the pool, the food is average (the dishes are nice though), dress code is a little more enforced. One thing different about the food - it's prepared in advance. They are not flexible on what is served or how it's served (sauces etc). No alternate menu in the dining room. I hope you have a good time but don't set yourself up to be knocked off your feet and end up disappointed. I've learned over the years cruising on different lines that sometimes it's all about a specific ship and sailing moreso than anything else. I personally found Princess to be a better alternative than HAL or RCI when it comes to pools and food.

Now.. to compare RCI to HAL. Doing so on the HAL board - gosh.. I bet you got a lot of bashing there! Sorry.. laughing here. The majority on that board are "S" HAL Loyalists. But.. hey.. it's their thing. I can tell you that you will not find a problem swiming in the pools on HAL unless you go on a 7-day carribean. Don't set yourself up for a disappointment with too much expectations on HAL. Those things you read on the HAL board here are so over exaggerated. You will find the same services as most of the lines. The entertainment is less. BINGO - oh.. HAL is BIG on this. The reason? It's one of the few entertainment options onboard. They announce it all day long. HAL is nice for a relaxing - less active type of cruise. You can read a good book, swim in the pool, the food is average (the dishes are nice though), dress code is a little more enforced. One thing different about the food - it's prepared in advance. They are not flexible on what is served or how it's served (sauces etc). No alternate menu in the dining room. I hope you have a good time but don't set yourself up to be knocked off your feet and end up disappointed. I've learned over the years cruising on different lines that sometimes it's all about a specific ship and sailing moreso than anything else. I personally found Princess to be a better alternative than HAL or RCI when it comes to pools and food.

On HAL, there is an alternate menu in the dining room every evening with multiple choices. ANd the only food prepared ahead of time are the specialty meals, ie, Kosher.

I agree that HAL does not have the activities day and night that RCI offers. What they do have are less crowded ships, fewer kids, great bedding and cabin amenities, more formal and traditional cruising experience.

Just a small point here, but the pool on the Radiance class is smaller on purpose. These ships were intended to do multiple destinations--including cold weather destinations like Alaska. Talk about wasted space, look at the pool desk in Ketchikan when it is 45 out and raining.........

So I lied about my last post. I couldn't let this one pass by. You don't achieve a good cold destination ship by chopping down the main pool and putting in a waterpark and rock climbing wall...

This is my issue. RCI tries to be all things to all people...and I think it is a flawed marketing approach. The Radiance class is supposed to be a more refined, less family-oriented cruising experience, so why did they clutter up the ship with all kinds of stuff like a mini Voyager-class? It just doesn't add up. And if you charge $3k per person for this, you had better at least make sure dining room quality is up to par.

RCI needs to decide what kind of product they are, from a branding position, and at the very least each ship class should be tailored to a specific experience. Voyager class is the non-stop action, crammed with the mall, etc. That is fine. But why market radiance as a higher-end, more refined experience if it is nothing but a mini voyager?

Take NCL for example - they at least know what they are and position accordingly. Freestyle, etc. But RCI tries to blend formal nights with extravagant dining rooms, but how does it make sense then to offer a below-average dining experience? duh.

The party-line reaction of the RCI posters has further confirmed that this is not the line for me.

My inner conversation with myseif:

"Should I say something"

"No, they'll laugh or lash out"

"But I gotta!"

Nobody touched on what should be learned from a review like this. It wasn't his cruise that was bad. It was his expectations that turned it bad. If he would have paid $800, who cares about a little fat on my steak. But when he forked over $3k, he was expecting caviar dreams and champaign wishes (or something like that). Essentially, RCI overpriced their cruise for him.

My wife and I are going on a honeymoon cruise on Splendour of the Seas next month (Vision Class). I expect runny eggs in the Windjammer, not too many lounge chairs on deck, an older ship. I expect that because I have read and re-read the "negative" reviews of the ship and all of RCI. For me, I really don't get anything out of the 100% positive reviews. I don't want to have the expectations that everything is going to be perfect....because I know it won't.

I don't understand why so many feel the need to "defend" here. RCI isn't going to send you free bingo cards for it. If he didn't like the food, he didn't like the food. If you are expecting fillet and you get hamburger, you're not gonna like it.

My only gripe is lines like "it was a design flaw. Period." Design flaw for you. But the designers may have had multiple purposes for the space. But, I got what I needed to get out of it.....small pool and plants. Check.

I'm going to have fun on my cruise. They could serve me cold minute rice and put me on a tug boat for a week. If I get a fillet when I order a hamburger, it's just a bonus.

I'm so glad that you won the conversation with yourself and joined the conversation. (I have that conversation with myself all the time.)

And I think you hit the nail on the head. When one has an experience that is a personal disappointment it kind of colors everything they remember about the situation. In this case it's the ship. I think a lot of people have reacted to the sweeping statements about design flaws and "bland slop" because to many of us those features were just fine or better than fine. Therefore, if many of us enjoyed the "design flaws" (Solarium) of the ship or felt that the "bland slop" (excellent steak, yummy lobster...I don't care if it was frozen before it tasted good to me) was great food that we certainly don't get to eat every day then there must be something wrong with us. Hence the equally emotional responses. Perhaps (ok...no hitting or anything, it's just a thought/question) some people sense a tiny bit of snobbery? in the statements that seem to slam all of the things that they (I) thought were great.

I didn't pay anywhere near the amount of money for my cruise that the OP paid for his/hers. It was a lot of money for my family to come up with for a vacation but we came away feeling extremely satisfied and can't wait to save up for the next time.

All that said, corstr, I really do hope that you find the ship/line that best suits your expectations and that your trips will be as wonderful for you as mine have been for me.;)

I'm so glad that you won the conversation with yourself and joined the conversation. (I have that conversation with myself all the time.)

And I think you hit the nail on the head. When one has an experience that is a personal disappointment it kind of colors everything they remember about the situation. In this case it's the ship. I think a lot of people have reacted to the sweeping statements about design flaws and "bland slop" because to many of us those features were just fine or better than fine. Therefore, if many of us enjoyed the "design flaws" (Solarium) of the ship or felt that the "bland slop" (excellent steak, yummy lobster...I don't care if it was frozen before it tasted good to me) was great food that we certainly don't get to eat every day then there must be something wrong with us. Hence the equally emotional responses. Perhaps (ok...no hitting or anything, it's just a thought/question) some people sense a tiny bit of snobbery? in the statements that seem to slam all of the things that they (I) thought were great.

I didn't pay anywhere near the amount of money for my cruise that the OP paid for his/hers. It was a lot of money for my family to come up with for a vacation but we came away feeling extremely satisfied and can't wait to save up for the next time.

All that said, corstr, I really do hope that you find the ship/line that best suits your expectations and that your trips will be as wonderful for you as mine have been for me.;)

Betty Lou,

Your post opened my eyes to the fact that I used some language in my original review that probably was emotionally-charged and got a negative reaction...and I take the hit for this. But look, I've met and socialized with the people on RCI for 10 years. These folks are not tye type that eat at Denny's and think that is a good $7 steak. They dress to the nines, and are middle to upper-middle class in demographic. These people have gone to 5 star restaurants. They know what a good meal is. According to RCI's website, they offer a "gourmet, five-star dining experience". Don't say this unless you are willing to do it! "Slop" is too strong a word I agree, but at least serve the darn stuff on china or fake china for all I care, just make an effort. Even the table cloth linens on seranade were cheap, drab and not even ironed (my wife says they weren't even linen, some polyester cotton blend). come on.

So look, I'll take the hit on getting a bit over-the-top, but loyal RCI folks need to hold RCI's feet to the fire on this food issue. It is just plain poor. End of stroy. Let's put is this way, I was on Radisson Seven Seas Mariner for my honeymoon and paid $4k per person and got a dining experience that absolutely blew me away. I'm talking 5 star all the way. How much more effort would it take for RCI to INCREMENTALLY increase the food quality? They might as well server MREs.

The bottom line is they don't care. As long as the rank and file will put on their $3,000 sequin gowns to eat an overdone, 1/4 inch thick new york stip, they will continue to serve it. come on people, expect more.

You talk about saving up hard earned money to go on the cruise, don't you deserve better for your savings? A USDA grade-choice fillet, pink in the center and a melt-in-your mouth lobster tail that you don't have to drown in butter to taste good? You are all loyal to RCI - great. Give them the feedback that will make them even better. You are not sheep going to the slaughter.

I wasn't going to pipe up but...oh well. For the OP, yes you hit the nail on the head, RCI "IS" trying to be as many things to as many people as they can. Their marketing and ships are not just trying to hone in on a certain clientel but are going after the masses by providing something on a pervasive scope rather then narrow market.

And yes, you're right, thier food is not 5 star, and I certainly go into a cruise knowing that. But on the other hand, I haven't paid $3000/pp (or maybe that was for both, can't quite remember what was said). I know when I sign-up, what I'm in for. And if I paid $799-$999 for a 7 day balcony or a little more for a JS per person, I expect I'll get what I paid for. Quite frankly, on two different 11 day cruises, my cost for an aft balcony was in the neighborhood of $1699 or so a person (diamond coupon). I know darn well if I was going to stay at a 5 star joint, say a 4 Seasons in Hawaii, it is going to cost me alot more then my cruise for the same period of time for room and meals.

I guess my point is, I know what RCI is marketing....I know what they are saying......my experience tells me what to expect.....I can figure the difference of my experiences vs. the marketing PR.....and I make my decision. So if I want 5 star, I'll head to a five star joint and pay for it. But quite frankly, I haven't paid 5 star prices on any cruiseline.....yet. ;)

I wasn't going to pipe up but...oh well. For the OP, yes you hit the nail on the head, RCI "IS" trying to be as many things to as many people as they can. Their marketing and ships are not just trying to hone in on a certain clientel but are going after the masses by providing something on a pervasive scope rather then narrow market.

If that is indeed their marketing approach then they are unique in that. Every other line has a discernable brand. NCL - Freestyle. Carnival - Fun Ship. Celebrity - pampered excellence. HAL - refined experience, whatever. So if RCI is taking a different approach, trying to be everything to everyone, this flies in the face of established marketing theory, regardless of the product category. What does "get out there" mean, especially if you create a class of ships (Radiance) that is supposed to be more intimate, refined, etc.? Why stick a mini golf course on this ship when it goes unused most of the time and is aimed at a demographic that would prefer Voyager? It is just plain silly.

And Mike one other thing - you've read on this thread that there is a healthy consensus that RCI is going down hill in certain areas, especially dining....what is the harm in pushing the company to do better instead of cheerleading, which only reinforces bad behavior?

Let me ask the OP this, are you saying you once got 5 star dining food on RCCL? I never have, I dont know how the ratings all work but I would say 3-3 and half star food, and 4-5 star service is what I've gotten, and that is my expectation. The food is good if not great, and even sometimes, marvelous. I do not compare the food to Giambelli's on 50th and 5th in NYC but it is leaps and bounds better then an Olive Garden or Benni Hannahs. I can't disagree with you on the lobster, I mean I have had so much better, even NCL has fresh Maine lobster on board..... I believe you though, I just have yet to honestly have a bad meal in the main dining room.

If that is indeed their marketing approach then they are unique in that. Every other line has a discernable brand. NCL - Freestyle. Carnival - Fun Ship. Celebrity - pampered excellence. HAL - refined experience, whatever. So if RCI is taking a different approach, trying to be everything to everyone, this flies in the face of established marketing theory, regardless of the product category. What does "get out there" mean, especially if you create a class of ships (Radiance) that is supposed to be more intimate, refined, etc.? Why stick a mini golf course on this ship when it goes unused most of the time and is aimed at a demographic that would prefer Voyager? It is just plain silly.

And Mike one other thing - you've read on this thread that there is a healthy consensus that RCI is going down hill in certain areas, especially dining....what is the harm in pushing the company to do better instead of cheerleading, which only reinforces bad behavior?

Don't misunderstand me. I think it's always great for a consumer to get the best bang for his/her buck. And I think it is best for the consumer to voice concerns to the right folks when their expectations haven't been met. If you've read any of my previous posting you will know that I am the furthest from a vendor defender, cheerleader, what ever. But I also try to be fair and balanced (my own critic is I'm harder on the cruise lines). I haven't had the dissappointment you had. Now my expectations were not 5 star for the fact I didn't pay for 5 star service and I believe that is an important point.

I think you answered your own questions about RCI's marketing to all people. I can't tell you if it's any different from another line, but I don't think it takes genious level thinking to understand why RCI has a kids area, why RCI has bingo, why RCI has rock climbing, why RCI has mini golf, why RCI has art auctions, etc. And I am in disagreement with this flying into the face of established marketing theories. The concept of something for everyone is a broad marketing tool used widely.

My suggestion would be to chalk this up to experience, voice your concerns, as you have here (hopefully you didn't wait 8 months to tell RCI) and look for better experiences. You'll find some will agree with some of your points and some will not. This is natural as everyone didn't go in with the same expectations and also had differing experiences.

Random thoughts:

We have had some mediocre food on RCI as well. On our last couple of cruises on Monarch and Vision, the food was markedly improved. The steak on formal night was a tender cut of filet, cooked perfectly to medium rare for me & medium for DH. Pasta was al dente. Soups were delicious and creative (pumpkin apple on Vision in January). Perhaps they are slowly but surely hiring some executive chefs who will continue the trend - we can only hope.

We don't use the pool areas very much - once in awhile we might want to soak in a hot tub, but that's about it. I do think the Radiance class needs a few more hot tubs - as I recall there are only 3 - one in the Solarium and two outside. That really is a major design flaw to me!

What keeps us coming back for more is the value we get for our money, particularly the service - we've seldom encountered anybody who wasn't helpful, friendly and cheerful (except at the purser's desk where it's about 1/3 cheerful, 1/3 morose and 1/3 clueless and rude).

And I am in disagreement with this flying into the face of established marketing theories. The concept of something for everyone is a broad marketing tool used widely.

Someone mentioned Olive Garden....that is a great example. Do they say they are five star? No way. They say "all you can eat salad and breadsticks". Talk about setting expectations correctly. People get what they want for the price. And they are NOT trying to be all things to everyone. They are a budget restaurant providing good value for the money, and they don't pretend to be gourmet. They are a mass market restaurant chain one step up from a cafeteria. You get exactly what you expect.

Not so with RCI. First, part of RCI's marketing is to include sweeping shots of their gorgeous, multi-level dining rooms and people dressed to the nines enjoying the "five star" food. If you are going to market this way you had better at least make a half-hearted attempt at delivering.

Second, they are inconsistent in execution. There has been widespread agreement on this thread that although menus are the same, food service and quality aboard RCI are not. I've said Vision was 10x better, others have said Serenade was 10x better than Splendour, others Monarch 10x better than Vision. There's a problem there, because when you are inconsistent in execution, expectations can be easily dashed, as in my case. If I go to McDonald's in my home town or more recently in Thailand I got the same cheesburger. Likewise, if I go to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse here or in Phoenix they strive to deliver a consistently-executed product. RCI could learn from these examples.

And BTW, I don't know of many precedents in consumer or travel marketing that proves the "all things to everyone" approach is the right one. The fact that no other cruise lines have taken this approach suggests that it is not a well established model. And in land-based hospitality, most chains cater to a specifc clientele market niche (budget travel, suites, etc.) with a highly-tailored brand and marketing message. I'll stand corrected if there are established business cases to the contrary.

I think RCI has made it pretty clear to whom they are marketing. They are going after families. Yes the different classes of ships have there own unique attributes but where does it say, anywhere, that Voyager ships are for families and active people and that Radiance ships are for a more subdued and "refined" cruise experience? They are different types of ships but both marketed to the same demographics.

If the Radiance ships didn't have the golf course (which we found to have a high volume of use contrary to an above statement) and rock climbing I would have no interest in the ships. I like my active time and I enjoy my down time on a cruise. RCI's ships allow for both in the course of the week. With RCI I don't have to pick the cruise by what activity level I am looking for. I can have it all. That is why I found RCI's ships to suite be better than Celebrity's ships.

As for food, I am neither picky eater nor crazy about fancy food. I love the Windjammer where other love the dining room.

RCI did not give the OP what he was looking for and I can respect that. I am not an RCI loyalist or a cheerleader. RCI provides what I am looking for in a cruise experience including service, dining options, activity options, and manner of dress. That is why I sail with them.

Why stick a mini golf course on this ship when it goes unused most of the time and is aimed at a demographic that would prefer Voyager? It is just plain silly.

I´m sorry but my experience is way different especially the mini golf has been extremly busy with sometimes waiting lines to use it as well on the Jewel (Radiance class) as the Legend and Splendour (Vision class).

Also what you call waterpark is nothing else than a kids pool with a water slide. It takes only a small edge of the pol deck. It´s less than half of the ships width as on the other side there is the sports/basketball court and there´s still plenty of room to walk around both areas.

So I would say if you had the space of the kids pool (waterpark in your words) added to the main pool it might host 20 more lounge chairs. Not much to make a big stink about it in my eyes. But that´s just my opinion.

Second, they are inconsistent in execution. There has been widespread agreement on this thread that although menus are the same, food service and quality aboard RCI are not. I've said Vision was 10x better, others have said Serenade was 10x better than Splendour, others Monarch 10x better than Vision. There's a problem there, because when you are inconsistent in execution, expectations can be easily dashed, as in my case. If I go to McDonald's in my home town or more recently in Thailand I got the same cheesburger. Likewise, if I go to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse here or in Phoenix they strive to deliver a consistently-executed product. RCI could learn from these examples.

I disagree on this one too. McDonalds is a restaurant chain and they set the standards to have the same product all over the world, while having said this it´s not really true as they cater to local needs as well. I.E. in the arabic world they use different kind of meat to cater to muslims, etc.

Anyway RCCL is not a "ship chain" and they don´t want to have the exact same thing on each of their ships. It´s the opposite. They have ships of several different classes and each class is a unique product within the frame of RCCL products. RCCL ships has human beings as a crew onboard and they do a lot to make the cruise experience special but it´s not the same fleetwide like it is at Mc Donalds where a Burger has to look and taste everywhere the same. To be honest I like a little individuality better than the standard stuff, but this is agin just me.

I'm not sure now if you wanted to give an RCI critique or if you're looking for an argument on marketing honesty. You've said your piece. I can't talk to your experiences. I can talk to mine. I did not pay for 5 star service and my experience said don't look for it.

Now my background is automotive and I have over 30 years experience in the industry, much in marketing. A recent mass marketing strategy example can be shown with Hummer. Hummer's history, you may or may not know, is known for large, bulky, heavy duty, tough, etc, directed at a niche audience. Now relate this to what the cruise industry use to be 20-25 years ago, for a certain class to receive certain services (I am abbreviating this purposely).

Now Hummer has come out with the H3 and they have tried to figure out how to mass market this to a broader demographic. For background here is a link if it is permitted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/business/media/28adco.html?ex=1277611200&en=53bc15d45cc2eeb2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Now relate this to a quickly growing cruise industry. They cannot market to the same niche and still fill all the new ships. It takes a broader appeal to bring in more people from broader demographics......something for everyone. You may or may not know that cruise pricing has been pretty flat in the last 10-15 years. Why...more ships, more cabins....require marketing to a broader audience and creating demand. But since you are marking to middle class folks you must price accordingly.

Now does marketing show my best side...well of course. Does it sometimes exaggerate the experience...well of course. Should the buyer beware when watching the marketing ploys of all companies....well.....You know my answer.

I've got your point. Perhaps others have not. But it doesn't change my opinion that I don't expect 5 star service when I'm not paying for it. I still suggest you chalk this up to experience and hope for the best on your next experience. This isn't much different from the person who has bought a car and is unhappy that his/her expectations weren't met and surmises that they're done with that company and will search elsewhere to find a place his/her needs can be met.

Now my background is automotive and I have over 30 years experience in the industry, much in marketing. A recent mass marketing strategy example can be shown with Hummer. Hummer's history, you may or may not know, is known for large, bulky, heavy duty, tough, etc, directed at a niche audience. Now relate this to what the cruise industry use to be 20-25 years ago, for a certain class to receive certain services (I am abbreviating this purposely).

Now Hummer has come out with the H3 and they have tried to figure out how to mass market this to a broader demographic. For background here is a link if it is permitted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/business/media/28adco.html?ex=1277611200&en=53bc15d45cc2eeb2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Now relate this to a quickly growing cruise industry. They cannot market to the same niche and still fill all the new ships.

On my motives for posting, let's just say it is more enjoyable to get into an interesting discussion with an educated person such as yourself than to hear "go take your rant somewhere else, we don't want to hear it, we Love RCI, blah blah blah...."

I liked your example but obviously you read your own article:

"The question lingering over Hummer is whether the brand can be all things to all people, or at least all things to enough people to make the H3 a success. Not everyone is convinced that Hummer can sell itself to the masses.

'I think it's impossible,' said Mary Ann Keller, a longtime auto industry analyst and author. "How in the world can you possibly fathom that something that looks like a military vehicle is practical for the average driver?"

The reality is that Hummer, regardless of body style or size, has a clear brand and associated psychographic profile. You are making a statement when you drive one. Period. Hummer doesn't sell Hondas or other bland sub-compacts. They sell status symbols, even scaled down ones.

Relate this to my point about cruise lines....HAL has made a conscious decision that in order to increase capacity they are going to create two entirely different cruising experiences, Vista and the older style ships, with different activity profiles, BUT AT LEAST THEY ARE GOING TO KEEP FOOD STANDARDS HIGH ACROSS THE BOARD. So they have chosen not to just take the massive H1 (Voyager) and downsize it with the same look and feel to the H3 (Radiance). They decided to make an SUV (Vista) instead of a luxury sedan (Statendam, or whatever). I believe this is a sounder approach that will fill more staterooms in the long run.

I trust your marketing credentials but on this point we agree to disagree. But a very interesting discussion nonetheless, and I thank you for taking the time to post the piece.

I think RCI has made it pretty clear to whom they are marketing. They are going after families. Yes the different classes of ships have there own unique attributes but where does it say, anywhere, that Voyager ships are for families and active people and that Radiance ships are for a more subdued and "refined" cruise experience? They are different types of ships but both marketed to the same demographics.

If the Radiance ships didn't have the golf course (which we found to have a high volume of use contrary to an above statement) and rock climbing I would have no interest in the ships. I like my active time and I enjoy my down time on a cruise. RCI's ships allow for both in the course of the week. With RCI I don't have to pick the cruise by what activity level I am looking for. I can have it all. That is why I found RCI's ships to suite be better than Celebrity's ships.

As for food, I am neither picky eater nor crazy about fancy food. I love the Windjammer where other love the dining room.

RCI did not give the OP what he was looking for and I can respect that. I am not an RCI loyalist or a cheerleader. RCI provides what I am looking for in a cruise experience including service, dining options, activity options, and manner of dress. That is why I sail with them.

Oceanboy then answer me this: why would I go on the Radiance instead of the Voyager then? Just to have a smaller version of the same? The way I've heard this answered by many other posters and reviewers is that Radiance is more intimate, less kids, less hubub, slower pace, higher quality etc. So why waste time with all the Voyager stuff if what the market is telling RCI is that they want LESS of that?

I do wish you the best and you can take this with a grain of salt if you'd like. There is always a buyer beware that should never be far from a consumer's thoughts. If at anytime you are being told to expect one type of service (let's say 5 star), but you know that the price you are paying seems "TOO" reasonable to be 5 star, it probably is and the service most likely won't match the expectation. I know that if I was to go out on a 7 day vacation and truely go 5 star lodging and meals, it would cost me much more then a cruise vacation on RCI, Princess, etc.

As far as the H3, I can only tell you that with all new carlines, it's a crap shoot anymore....what will fly and what won't. Good Luck.

Radiance is completeley different from Voyager class, oh they have a pool, rock climbing and mini golf, ITS A SMALLER TWIN!!! Not even close........ So the Tahitian Princess is the same exact as the Star Princess just a scaled down version? Noooooo, but they are marketed to the same people and they have more similarities then a Voyager class to a Radiance.

I do wish you the best and you can take this with a grain of salt if you'd like. There is always a buyer beware that should never be far from a consumer's thoughts. If at anytime you are being told to expect one type of service (let's say 5 star), but you know that the price you are paying seems "TOO" reasonable to be 5 star, it probably is and the service most likely won't match the expectation. I know that if I was to go out on a 7 day vacation and truely go 5 star lodging and meals, it would cost me much more then a cruise vacation on RCI, Princess, etc.

As far as the H3, I can only tell you that with all new carlines, it's a crap shoot anymore....what will fly and what won't. Good Luck.

If RCI is going to charge $3k per person for a Junior Suite for an 11 day Hawaii cruise (roughly equal to what Celebrity would charge) and serve sub-standard food, than I guess the conclusion I should come to is I was ripped off by RCI, which I guess is another good reason for not sailing with them anymore.

How in the WORLD Holland America can charge $1900 per person for a similar 11 day sailing and be considered a notch above RCI in terms of food quality and overal amenities is beyond me then. What this says to me is there are a lot of suckers out there (I guess I was one of them) who paid 30% more for an inferior product. Shame on me (and shame on me also for believing all those reviewers and posters who said that Radiance class was not just a miniaturized Voyager, but a more refined cruising experience). But shame on RCI also, because this is no way to keep long-standing customers.

You had a bad experience on RCI, you said you've been on tons, but this one only was dissapointing? And now its banned from your life? Honestly, not a fair judgement, go again, if it happens again, you have all the right for that permanent judgement. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I dont know if that is the right saying but you cant go by 1 cruise. I know, you have been on RCI before, but this is your only one your complaining about. Seriously, go again, then that type of permanent judgement is rightful.

You had a bad experience on RCI, you said you've been on tons, but this one only was dissapointing? And now its banned from your life? Honestly, not a fair judgement, go again, if it happens again, you have all the right for that permanent judgement. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I dont know if that is the right saying but you cant go by 1 cruise. I know, you have been on RCI before, but this is your only one your complaining about. Seriously, go again, then that type of permanent judgement is rightful.

Never again was probably too harsh. I'll give HAL a try and unless I fall in love, I'll probably be back. But what do you suggest? Radiance is not for me (for the design issues I've mentioned)...and Voyager is a definite no... Vision was good but maybe I should try the Splendour (didn't it get redone) or maybe the Enchantment (didn't it get drydocked and extended?...maybe I'm thinking of another one)...

If I do go again I'd like to choose a remodeled ship with a reputation for above-average food execution and a good spa. Any suggestions would be welcome (assuming of course that getting on the Freedom is impossible!)

thx.

Archived