Official Vatican Tour Questions

rg123

For those who might have taken a tour booked through the Vatican website, maybe you could tell me about your experience. Has anyone done St Peter’s on your own after being on a guided tour with a Vatican guide?

I was thinking of reserving a guided tour at the official site but they only include the museums and Sistine Chapel. However, we’d like to see St Peter’s Basilica as well. Would we be able to access the basilica after our tour was over without having to exit and then stand in line outside to re-enter the Basilica? Can you rent an audio guide and is it possible to climb the dome if you don’t have a third party?

50 minutes ago, rg123 said:

Would we be able to access the basilica after our tour was over without having to exit and then stand in line outside to re-enter the Basilica?

NO.

50 minutes ago, rg123 said:

Can you rent an audio guide and is it possible to climb the dome if you don’t have a third party?

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently in Rome and did an official Vatican Tour yesterday. The tour guide  was excellent but there was very little stopping to take things in - she walked and talked the whole way . It was very crowded and at times it was hard to spot the guide. She gave a super explanation of the Sistine Chapel first as there is no talking in the chapel itself. We were very glad to be on a tour as it would have been tricky to navigate on our own with the large crowds ( by the way this was late afternoon). I felt she covered a good variety of artwork and the main highlights. Definitely value for money. 

To my surprise we could exit down the stairs to the basilica after the Sistine Chapel but we had already climbed the dome and visited first thing in the morning on our own. Perhaps it was due to it being later in the day - we left the Vatican Museums close to closing time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottishclover said:

Currently in Rome and did an official Vatican Tour yesterday. The tour guide  was excellent but there was very little stopping to take things in - she walked and talked the whole way . It was very crowded and at times it was hard to spot the guide. She gave a super explanation of the Sistine Chapel first as there is no talking in the chapel itself. We were very glad to be on a tour as it would have been tricky to navigate on our own with the large crowds ( by the way this was late afternoon). I felt she covered a good variety of artwork and the main highlights. Definitely value for money. 

To my surprise we could exit down the stairs to the basilica after the Sistine Chapel but we had already climbed the dome and visited first thing in the morning on our own. Perhaps it was due to it being later in the day - we left the Vatican Museums close to closing time. 

Nice to know. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to say exactly what Scottishclover said.  We had an 8:30 am tour and it was very crowded.  Tour was good but you had to keep moving because it was wall to wall people.  St Peter's was beautiful.  We wandered around and could get away from people.  Completely disgusted with some people's behavior there, but that's another issue.  You don't need a selfie or to take glamour shots for your IG inside a church like that.  *****  We were there during the extreme heat and DH wore pants as instructed.  There were some men in shorts ( and with annoying backpacks that kept hitting everyone) but they were the minority.  They were allowed in but I don't know if that was because of the heat or what.  Most people were dressed following the dress code.  I was able to walk through the museum section in my sundress but had to put my sweater on for the chapel and St Peter's.  Thankfully it was cooler in there.