Transfer from lga to brooklyn cruise port

sue gill

I called msc to add a transfer from lga to brooklyn cruise port but the lady we talked to quoted me 44 dollars but said we have to picked up 7 hours before boarding. I think she was confused  with the excursion  after the cruise.  It's a tour. She insisted. Has anyone taken the airport transfer 

On 6/21/2023 at 7:49 PM, sue gill said:

I called msc to add a transfer from lga to brooklyn cruise port but the lady we talked to quoted me 44 dollars but said we have to picked up 7 hours before boarding. I think she was confused  with the excursion  after the cruise.  It's a tour. She insisted. Has anyone taken the airport transfer 

Is there some reason you wouldn't just get a taxi/car service to the port? You could get an Uber Black or Lyft Lux for $70 or $80... and a regular Uber for $50.

5 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I called msc to add a transfer from lga to brooklyn cruise port but the lady we talked to quoted me 44 dollars but said we have to picked up 7 hours before boarding.

Actually she is correct based on their policy.

Bret

Transfer Info.png

1 hour ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Actually she is correct based on their policy.

Transfer Info.png

MSC departs Brooklyn at 3:00 p.m., so seven hours prior to departure would be 8:00 a.m. arrival at LaGuardia. That is rather early. It seems to be much effort, coupled with a high transfer fare, such that I would likely look for other options. I note that I live very close to LaGuardia. If I were departing on that vessel, I would plan to board at approximately 12:30 p.m. (their check-in deadline is two hours before departure), and to do so I would be at my subway station, Main Street, around 11:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.

14 hours ago, GTJ said:

MSC departs Brooklyn at 3:00 p.m., so seven hours prior to departure would be 8:00 a.m. arrival at LaGuardia. That is rather early. It seems to be much effort, coupled with a high transfer fare, such that I would likely look for other options. I note that I live very close to LaGuardia. If I were departing on that vessel, I would plan to board at approximately 12:30 p.m. (their check-in deadline is two hours before departure), and to do so I would be at my subway station, Main Street, around 11:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.

Speaking as a fellow New Yorker, I wouldn't suggest anyone from out of town take the subway to Red Hook to board. With bags, you're probably looking at a half hour walk from Smith & 9th to the pier. It's bad enough when you're trying to walk back from IKEA with a blue bag, I can't imagine starting a cruise that way.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

[Y]ou're probably looking at a half hour walk from Smith & 9th to the pier.

I would not ordinarily walk from Smith and Ninth Streets. When I travel to Red Hook, I take the subway into downtown Brooklyn, then the B61 bus. It is a short ten minute walk from Van Brunt Street to the passenger terminal.

My wife organized a large group that in 1-1/2 weeks will be sailing with MSC Cruises out of Brooklyn. They're coming from mostly the five boroughs and routinely travel using public transportation. They can't afford cars of their own, and do not routinely use car service. An inside stateroom is expensive for a vacation. I expect that most will arrive in Red Hook either by ferry, from Pier 11, or by B61 bus, from downtown Brooklyn.

Edited by GTJ

Smith and 9th St. subway stop on the G and F subway train is also the highest subway stop in the system and it does not have elevators only escalators. It is also not listed as an MTA Accessible Station.

MTA B61 BusTime real tracking: https://bustime.mta.info/m/?q=B61 VAN BRUNT ST/PIONEER ST is the closest stop. Looking down Pioneer you can see the ship from Van Brunt. 

B61 printed schedule with limited stops listed: https://new.mta.info/document/7131 Beard St./Otsego St. is the closet stop on the printed schedule 5 stops (roughly 10 blocks) from Van Brunt/Pioneer St. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

MTA B61 BusTime real tracking: https://bustime.mta.info/m/?q=B61 VAN BRUNT ST/PIONEER ST is the closest stop. Looking down Pioneer you can see the ship from Van Brunt.

Be careful here. The bus stop on Van Brunt Street at Pioneer Street is only in the northbound (to downtown Brooklyn) direction. Going to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (from downtown Brooklyn), the bus stop is at the next corner, King Street. It is a great view looking down Pioneer Street, with the dichotomy of the Red Hook neighborhood against the backdrop of a large modern vessel.