Are oceanview windows one way on walking deck on Volendam

judydoc

10 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

I love these cabins! My only complaint is that I have to constantly ask people to get out of my deck chair, which is designated to my cabin. Most people grumble, and some don't want to move. I'm not there to fight with my fellow passengers over a deck chair, but since HAL doesn't make it clear ( like with a big metal sign that reads "Lanai Guests ONLY) I just make the best of it and go sit elsewhere. 

What is a Lanai Guest?  We have cruised more than 100 days on the old Amsterdam in an outside cabin on the Promenade deck.  Never heard that the deck chair nearest our cabin belonged to us.  Is this something special on the newer, larger ships?  Do you have your own door to the outside too?

Ray

The Lanai Cabins (on the older ships) have the glass sliding doors that open to the Promenade deck, and the chairs lined up in front of them are for those guests in that Lanai. Two of them are designated per cabin. I have stayed in them many times during my 25 years of cruising on HAL. Unless they have changed the policy, there should be a description somewhere on the HAL site, or YouTube that shows the cabins and the chairs that come with them. 

Thanks for the reply.  I noticed that the Volendam has them and she is the same (R) class as the Amsterdam, but I walked many miles on the Amsterdam's promenade deck and never noticed them.  I am guessing that the newer ships do not have them.

Ray

29 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I noticed that the Volendam has them and she is the same (R) class as the Amsterdam, but I walked many miles on the Amsterdam's promenade deck and never noticed them.  I am guessing that the newer ships do not have them.

Ray

I don't think the Zaandam has them either, and definitely the newer ships do not.  I don't think any of the newer ships have cabins on that deck, so there are no cabins where Lanai's are possible.

Roy

3 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Amsterdam had them - class CA in purple (same many miles walked by them ...). 🍺🥌

image.thumb.png.e2e5c26e296ab2364f837771ef19ac82.png

Thanks, @CurlerRob.  I wonder if they were a later addition to the Amsterdam.  I just checked my travel folders.  We had 319 days on the Amsterdam, mostly outside cabins on the Lower Promenade deck beginning in 2002.  Your diagram is effective after May, 2018.  Our last cruise on her was the first half of the WC in 2017.  Either that, or I have a very poor memory.

Ray

Veendam had Lanai cabins with the sliding glass door to the lower promenade deck. We were enjoying “our” deck chairs and began chatting with people in the next cabin who were also on deck using their chairs. It turned out that they lived three miles away from our house. And then we learned that the woman & I attended the same high school in Washington, DC at the same time (she graduated a year after I did). Very small world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Only the Volendam has Lanai staterooms.  In our early cruising days with HAL we always booked the lower prom under the MDR, sometimes the same cabin on other sailings.  I liked being able to go outside.  Window was never a problem, close the drapes at night.  We transitioned to Vistas or Neptune Suites, but I am doing a 42 day as a solo on the Volendam and chose the lower prom under the MDR as being the best option.

2 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

Loreto, I am doing a 42 day on Volendam in 2024, in a lanai. I would be open to a bump-up if they offer a suite in a good location though!

Hi BobbiSox,

I am on the Atlantic Adventurer Nov. 9 2024.  I booked a partial sea view under the MDR.  DH didn't want to go as he wants a neptune.  Haven't been in this category in 10 years.  Shore excursions will be pricey, plus airfare from CA🙁.  We spent 28 days on the Zaandam earlier this year.  We have a roll call if you are on the same cruise!

Karen

15 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks, @CurlerRob.  I wonder if they were a later addition to the Amsterdam.  I just checked my travel folders.  We had 319 days on the Amsterdam, mostly outside cabins on the Lower Promenade deck beginning in 2002.  Your diagram is effective after May, 2018.  Our last cruise on her was the first half of the WC in 2017.  Either that, or I have a very poor memory.

Ray

I think your memory is good - I believe the the Lanai cabins were an addition at the 2018 refit, but others may be able to confirm. Explains why you didn't see them! 🍺🥌