Carry-on Case for Electric Wheelchair Batteries

iuki

I have a Falcon Reclining Seat Electric Wheelchair and needed a carry-on case for the batteries.  Since Fold n Go only sells their products to their customers, I have searched everywhere to find one for my “Hot Wheels”.  I started to think outside the box and found a solution.  It’s sold on Amazon at a reasonable price and fits the batteries perfectly.  The bag is made for carrying skis.  In fact, a person who has a Fold n Go said that the bag is actually better than the one she bought from Fold n Go.  So I thought that those who fly frequently might be interested in getting one.  We love it!  It fits perfectly and is padded.  The airlines have told us we have to remove the batteries and take them on board with us.

IMG_0091.png

• Like 1

Please be cognizant that lithium ion batteries must only be transported in cabin with appropriate security requirements and within limitations. See https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/06/11/travel-tips-tuesday-safely-packing-batteries-your-trip#:~:text=Batteries Allowed in Carry-on Bags%3A&text=Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.%3A rechargeable,(wh) per battery].

27 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

Please be cognizant that lithium ion batteries must only be transported in cabin with appropriate security requirements and within limitations. See https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/06/11/travel-tips-tuesday-safely-packing-batteries-your-trip#:~:text=Batteries Allowed in Carry-on Bags%3A&text=Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.%3A rechargeable,(wh) per battery].

Yes.  That’s why I posted this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 9:29 PM, FOPMan said:

I have a Travelscoot with a lithium ion battery that I have flown with numerous times.   I always remove the battery and bring it on the plane with me in the bag I bought with the scooter.   It is 274 Wh and the article states that 100 Wh is the max allowed.   I also read this number of the airline web site earlier today  and now I am very concerned.   Am I missing something here?

On 7/8/2023 at 4:37 PM, mexico8 said:

I have a Travelscoot with a lithium ion battery that I have flown with numerous times.   I always remove the battery and bring it on the plane with me in the bag I bought with the scooter.   It is 274 Wh and the article states that 100 Wh is the max allowed.   I also read this number of the airline web site earlier today  and now I am very concerned.   Am I missing something here?

I have a Travelscoot also and have taken it all over the world. This is what is on the FAA site so you are good.                

Electric wheelchair, mobility scooter

In cases when the batteries are adequately protected, it is preferable that they remain installed in the mobility aid; however, there may be situations when that is not possible or safe to do so and in these cases the batteries must be removed. This description is for a wheelchair or mobility device that does not have a protective housing for its lithium ion battery, i.e., the mobility aid does not provide adequate protection to the battery. Lithium ion battery size is limited to 300 watt hours (Wh). One spare battery not exceeding 300 Wh or two spare batteries not exceeding 160 Wh each may be carried in carry-on baggage.

I have been told by Latam airlines special needs people  that I cannot bring my scooter and battery on their  planes when we fly.  Lithium Ion batteries over 100 Wh are not allowed on their planes.

First time I have encountered this issue and sure hope it's the last!  We have flown in the past with no problems with multiple airlines so this is a first for us.

On 7/12/2023 at 9:24 PM, mexico8 said:

I have been told by Latam airlines special needs people  that I cannot bring my scooter and battery on their  planes when we fly.  Lithium Ion batteries over 100 Wh are not allowed on their planes.

First time I have encountered this issue and sure hope it's the last!  We have flown in the past with no problems with multiple airlines so this is a first for us.

If you talked to customer service I can tell you those people have no clue what is or isn't allowed. I flew Latam a few months ago out of Santiago and I had to go through the support dept. at  support@casounico.zendesk.com. I have two batteries on my scooter, each 140 watts and had no problem. I did have to check in three hours early because there was a lot of paperwork to fill out and the batteries had to be inspected. I just copied this off the Latam site.   

If you travel with your wheelchair with a lithium battery, you can transport it if you use one battery not exceeding 300 Wh or 2 batteries not exceeding 160 Wh each. In both cases, the batteries must be secured to the wheelchair. In addition, you can carry spare batteries as carry-on baggage under certain conditions: 

Thank you.   I also printed off that same info that you posted but when I phoned   Latam they insisted that i had to go through Cargo and ask if they would take my scooter.   They said it was definitely not allowed on the passenger flight.

I got fed up and worried so we booked our business class flight with Air Canada.  We fly with them all the time and have no problems with the battery and scooter.

They should really inform their staff and not lose business like mine.  Hope they read these posts!!