First cruise for solo traveller aged under 50

LL_running girl

I live in the UK. I have been considering a cruise on my own. I used to travel with my husband but he sadly died last year. I am told how good cruises are for solo travellers so started having a look. Well my God the prices with single supplements are just ridiculous! I thought they encouraged solos.

I looked at one cruise to the Norweigen fjords from Southampton for 7 nights - £2,636 for one person but for 2 people £2,294, that is way more than just paying double for single occupancy. I searched a range and found the same, this includes Marella and P & O. 

I would really like to do a cruise from Fort Lauderdale where my husband lived and worked for a number of years but it was way over £3k before flights when I looked at the weekend. Am I missing something? 

Cruises seem way too expensive to be an option on my own. Welcome any help.

If you're based in the UK, look for special solo cruise price deals at Passion for Cruises - https://www.passionforcruises.co.uk

If you're open to traveling last minute, from Southampton or elsewhere, do searches on 

https://www.cruiseplum.com/solo-supplement-deals. The deals are priced in US dollars but not that hard to convert either on Google or go to the cruise line's UK website to price the deal.

Virgin Voyages are also doing "no single supplement" deals this summer for all their Med cruises. 

https://www.virginvoyages.com/cruise-deals/solo-sailing

It's quite easy to get deals without having to pay double; I guess you just have to be "on the ball" and look a bit harder to get them.

• Like 2

I agree, if you are free to be a last minute traveler, which can mean 3 months out, you can find bargains.  Cruise Plum can sort for single supplement deals on the large commercial lines.  I am keeping my eye on trans Pacific and long repositioning cruises that I can grab last minute instead of planning 1 year ahead like I currently have done.  In organized packages , like most cruises, it is hard to avoid single supplements.  Sadly for the main line ships "singles" equal inside windowless cabins.

There are lines who do have some reserved single rooms.  Sadly, they are a little more spendy, but they see you.  Tauck and Hebridian are ones that come to mind. I currently have a trip with Hebridian in the paper plan stage.