Embarkation day with Group of 10 and Rental Car

mmbrad02

Good morning,

We are boarding the Carnival Freedom on July 22.  There are 10 of us, a range of ages from 12 to 73, some repeat cruisers and some newbies.  We are flying in the day before and will have a 12 passenger rental van (through Budget) for transportation.  Can anyone offer tidbits/advice/process for how Embarkation day will work?

I know that we check in on July 8 and I assume we will be provided an arrival time then?  We plan to do our check in (from home) at the same time, so hopefully all of our cabins (4 total) are assigned the same time, but if they vary, how does that work?

Can we pull up to the port and drop off our luggage and passengers while 1-2 members of our party return the van and wait for a shuttle back to the port?  Or is there a different way for this to work?

Also, one cabin has Faster to the Fun - That doesn't mean our check in time is earlier, just that we have a specific line waiting for us inside, right?

Anything else you can offer would be great!  My husband, daughter and myself have cruised 4 times but on different lines and never with a larger group, and I've somehow become the "go to person" for all the planning and details so I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row!

Thank you!

I have rented a car from Budget at MCO/Port Canaveral before. Yes, drop off the passengers and luggage at the port and then return the rental van to the Budget office. It is much easier to take the Budget shuttle back to the port if it's just one or two people versus 10 people plus luggage.

Always remember to keep your passport/wine/soda in your carry on and don't give it to the porters.

Check-in is at 12:01 am EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) on July 8. Some people stay up until midnight to get an early check-in time but other's don't care. It's up to your group. If anyone is Platinum or Diamond, they can check in on July 6. 

The Faster to the Fun cabin is able to use the Priority Check-in Line at the port and can arrive earlier than the check-in time on their boarding pass. They also have a different waiting area in the port. They are not required to sit in that area if everyone wants to sit as a group. 

Each minor checking in should be with an adult assigned to their cabin. Plan accordingly when deciding who to send back with the rental van. Otherwise they will need to wait until that adult returns to the port.

Have fun!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mmbrad02 said:

I know that we check in on July 8 and I assume we will be provided an arrival time then?  We plan to do our check in (from home) at the same time, so hopefully all of our cabins (4 total) are assigned the same time, but if they vary, how does that work?

From what you stated about assigning cabins, I assume you have "guarantee" cabins, not already assigned?  You may get assignments anytime from now through the time you arrive at the port and check-in.  

Are all of your cabins booked on the same booking?  If so, you will get the same arrival check-in time.  If you are aiming for an earlier time, I suggest you do the online check-in at midnight.

Can we pull up to the port and drop off our luggage and passengers while 1-2 members of our party return the van and wait for a shuttle back to the port?

Yes, you can do that.  The pax dropped off can go check in if they like, and even board, while the driver/navigator make their way back to the terminal.  They will have to check in when they finally arrive, of course, and may board later as a result.

Also, one cabin has Faster to the Fun - That doesn't mean our check in time is earlier, just that we have a specific line waiting for us inside, right?

The cabin with FTTF can check-in and board ahead of most other parties.  They will use the Priority line, and board after Diamonds/Platinums.  

The rest of the party will have to wait to board with the rest of the hoi polloi.  If you snag an early check-in time by staying up until midnight on 8 July, you might not board much after the FTTF group.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

From what you stated about assigning cabins, I assume you have "guarantee" cabins, not already assigned?  You may get assignments anytime from now through the time you arrive at the port and check-in.  

Are all of your cabins booked on the same booking?  If so, you will get the same arrival check-in time.  If you are aiming for an earlier time, I suggest you do the online check-in at midnight.

Sorry, I worded it incorrectly about the cabins. We have already assigned cabins and know our cabin number already.  What I was attempting to say is we are hoping to get the same or close to the same arrival check in time.  We are unfortunately not on the same booking - 4 cabins, 3 bookings.  I will have two devices going on midnight to check in 2 of the 3 simultaneously and my sister will do the other booking, at the same time, from her home.  We will definitely start our online check in at midnight.

9 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yes, you can do that.  The pax dropped off can go check in if they like, and even board, while the driver/navigator make their way back to the terminal.  They will have to check in when they finally arrive, of course, and may board later as a result.

This is great.  Question though - can we all wait on our drivers to return to check in and board?  We would prefer to group at least with those in our cabin and not get too separated.  

This is great.  Question though - can we all wait on our drivers to return to check in and board?  We would prefer to group at least with those in our cabin and not get too separated.  

Oh, sure!  It may get crowded (or hot and sunny or wet and rainy) outside waiting for your driver(s) to return, but yeah, you can wait around for them.

Sorry, I worded it incorrectly about the cabins. We have already assigned cabins and know our cabin number already.  What I was attempting to say is we are hoping to get the same or close to the same arrival check in time.  We are unfortunately not on the same booking - 4 cabins, 3 bookings.  I will have two devices going on midnight to check in 2 of the 3 simultaneously and my sister will do the other booking, at the same time, from her home.  We will definitely start our online check in at midnight.

OK, yeah, with three separate bookings you'll just have to get there as fast as you can.  Remember to skip all the questions except select a check-in time.  You can go back and do that later, maybe in the morning after some coffee.

3 hours ago, mmbrad02 said:

You can check in and then wait inside the terminal for everyone to get there before you board. No one will force you to get on the ship. I would not wait outside in July!

• Like 1

We have had great experiences with the rental car company near Port Canaveral.  They are so quick and efficient - both times we've used them the shuttle to the port was ready and waiting and we barely had a chance to sit down before we were on our way.

I agree with the advice above, get checked in as soon as you can and plan to meet up with the drivers in the boarding area waiting room.

21 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Remember to skip all the questions except select a check-in time.  You can go back and do that later, maybe in the morning after some coffee.

First time I've seen this tip!

so you can do just that part of check-in and it will save for you?

cool! 

36 minutes ago, ARcruisin2 said:

First time I've seen this tip!

so you can do just that part of check-in and it will save for you?

cool! 

Yup.  I usually skip to the check-in time selection, verify that, and then go back fill out the rest while I'm there in front of the computer.

• Thanks 1