Private mini-bus with driver for large group

sunfan03

Traveling with my dad and his siblings (14 pax) - looking for recommendations for private mini-bus hires (with drivers) for when we're in various ports while traveling on Norwegian Star...

- Le Havre (Normandy beach, American cemetery?)

- Le Verdon (wine-tasting, Bordeaux)

We don't need luxury transportation, but I think it just might be easier to have our own transportation to visit sites. I'm just getting started so I don't know exactly where we'll go yet for all the ports, so any advice is welcome. 

3 hours ago, sunfan03 said:

- Le Havre (Normandy beach, American cemetery?)

There are some excellent D-Day minibus tour operators.

Best known is Overlord, and their minibuses carry 16 - expensive, but excellent, altho they do book-out early.

https://www.overlordtour.com/product/tours-from-cruise-ports-9/

Can't help with minibus plus driver, but that'll be a lot cheaper and there's plenty of signage and English-speaking staff at the sights.

From Le Havre you should be able to fit in the American cemetery, Omaha beach and Pointe du Hoc, mebbe even a quick look at the German cemetery at La Cambe - a stark contrast to the American cemetery.

Give yourselves an extra window of about 60 minutes for the return to Le Havre - if you're up with the clock, just before the Pont du Normandie over the Seine estuary and about 30 minutes from you ship, it's only a five-minute diversion to the pretty bar-lined harbour of Honfleur for a well-earned beer.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Bull said:

There are some excellent D-Day minibus tour operators.

Best known is Overlord, and their minibuses carry 16 - expensive, but excellent, altho they do book-out early.

https://www.overlordtour.com/product/tours-from-cruise-ports-9/

Can't help with minibus plus driver, but that'll be a lot cheaper and there's plenty of signage and English-speaking staff at the sights.

From Le Havre you should be able to fit in the American cemetery, Omaha beach and Pointe du Hoc, mebbe even a quick look at the German cemetery at La Cambe - a stark contrast to the American cemetery.

Give yourselves an extra window of about 60 minutes for the return to Le Havre - if you're up with the clock, just before the Pont du Normandie over the Seine estuary and about 30 minutes from you ship, it's only a five-minute diversion to the pretty bar-lined harbour of Honfleur for a well-earned beer.

JB 🙂

I reached out to Overlord a few days ago - I think I saw a thread where someone (maybe you?) recommended them. I think for the history, it'll be worth it. They offer the following:

1. Pointe du Hoc, Omaha Beach, American Cemetery & Bayeux
  2. Longues sur Mer Batteries, Omaha Beach, American Cemetery & Bayeux
  3. Omaha Beach, American Cemetery, Bayeux & Honfleur

I need to brush up on my WWII history (which I will do), but I personally like "slow" travel...enjoying my sites and not necessarily trying to maximize photo opps. That being said, I appreciate the timeframe recommendations @John Bull.

Right now, I'm leaning towards this itinerary: Omaha Beach, American Cemetery, Bayeux & Honfleur - but I still have to poll my uncles and aunts 😅 Sounds like there will be a group of them going to Paris (but not my dad and I)

• Like 1