Star Drydock PICS !!!

melika091900

Cuizer2 - That was so mean :-)! But, really, it is a little nerve wracking knowing that I am supposed to get on her on Sunday and she is still sitting in San Fran.

Vette

I figure the Star can make it from San Fran to San Pedro in about 16 hours, which means it could leave San Fran around 4:00pm the day before and still be waiting for you at 8:00am the day you are going to board her.

Here is what you will see when you get to San Pedro ...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=98996&g2_serialNumber=3

And here are some "inside" photos (I snuck aboard last night and took these photos).

To welcome everyone back, the cabins have all be decorated ...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=99005&g2_serialNumber=1

The bathrooms have been enlarged ...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=99606&g2_serialNumber=1

And the balconies have been upgraded also ...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=99602&g2_serialNumber=3

But the best part is the new upgraded sitting area for the ocean view cabins ...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=99626&g2_serialNumber=3

So stop worrying and enjoy your cruise.

You are worrying way too much! Just relax pack your bags, have a nice drink of whatever you drink! get ready for your Vacation, you are going to have a great time! I live in a city were these ships come to drydock and tehy are very effiecient! If there was an issue and it was not done I am sure you woudl have heard from NCL! So pack realx and get ready for a great trip!

Callous?? Really??

NCL has not contacted anyone to say that the STAR will not be ready, there is nothing on the website either. I think that these posts are trying to calm people's fears (irrational at this point, or not) with a little humor. Once your cruise is cancelled then you can be judgemental.

Take a deep breath. Then enjoy your cruise.

~Intrepid

I think I could understand the concern more if there had been a history of ships failing to complete their drydock work on schedule. As long as I have been reading CC posts, I have never run across a report that a scheduled drydock failed to be completed on schedule. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here. Yes, there have been delays caused by emergency repairs or disastrous accidents (boiler explosion, fire, etc.) but my understanding is that the cruise lines know their deadlines and the worst-case scenario would be leaving some minor, planned renovations undone.

For instance, the Spirit went into drydock last fall. They were supposed to add some cabins on the top deck, but things didn't go their way (labor/union problems), so the work went undone. But it didn't prevent the ship from leaving drydock on schedule.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I feel much better, John, knowing that ships generally leave on time.

Cuizer2 - I appreciate your attempt to lighten the mood with those cute pictures. :-)! Thanks.

Vette

All of those photos are actually from the Star. The first photo, of the ship docked in San Pedro was taken April 2005. The second photo, the decorated cabin, is my cabin on October 8, 2005. The other three photos are from the Garden Villa. You can book that cabin if you want. It is only about $25,000 per week (but that does not include tips).

For instance, the Spirit went into drydock last fall. They were supposed to add some cabins on the top deck, but things didn't go their way (labor/union problems), so the work went undone. But it didn't prevent the ship from leaving drydock on schedule.

More specifically, in my understanding, the contractor that was to build the new cabins did not come through so they were scrapped. All other scheduled maintenance and upgrades were completed. The ship left drydock on time with some updates still being done after leaving drydock. So, NCL did not keep the SPIRIT in drydock even though it was not completely finished. Last minute work on the new shops and photo gallery was completed during a revenue cruise. Hey, at least it was there and not cancelled.

~Intrepid

Actually, the Spirit was initially scheduled for a 4 week drydock, around 28 days. Since the 13th Deck work was delayed, for whatever reason, NCL reduced the amount of time in drydock to approximately 14 days, and the Spirit was placed back into service two weeks early.

Not just on time, before way before.....

For some reason, the NCL webcam page is not updating again. While it was, I got a pic that showed some of the debris being cleared off the front deck, apparently in perparation for departure (I hope). Though i would share it ....

BruceM - departing on Star 4/18/06

Mar31pic-full.jpg

Why would it leave already? It is not due in San Pedro until Sunday. If it did leave, where would it go? Fuel costs money. So does parking a large ship. The drydock is already paid for.

Currently the ship is exactly where it is supposed to be. Why is this causing everyone so much stress?

What evidence does ANYONE have that the ship will not be in San Pedro on Sunday?

If it is not raining on Sunday, I am going to go to San Pedro and run around saying, "I told you so."

I drove down this evening. She has been lowered into the water but the lifeboats are still not on board. The lifeboats are not, however, in the drydock that they were in on my last visit. I watched her until 8:30 pm from a house with a bayview, expecting her to make a move...but she didn't. I will check again tomorrow am.

I drove down this evening. She has been lowered into the water but the lifeboats are still not on board. The lifeboats are not, however, in the drydock that they were in on my last visit. I watched her until 8:30 pm from a house with a bayview, expecting her to make a move...but she didn't. I will check again tomorrow am.

The ship was lowered into the water? Was the ship in a floating drydock (in which case it would be lowered into the water) or was the water let into the drydock (in which case the ship was not lowered, but actually raised)?

Haven - Thank you so much for the update. Sounds like progress is being made.

This is why Cruise critic is so great. There is usually someone on here who has an answer to every question we ask.

We are leaving in a couple of hours. I have every faith that the Star will be sitting at her dock tomorrow morning.

Vette

The ship was lowered into the water? Was the ship in a floating drydock (in which case it would be lowered into the water) or was the water let into the drydock (in which case the ship was not lowered, but actually raised)?

When I drove by yesterday afternoon she still sat on the "v" supports and the underside was visible. Last night on my return it did not appear there was any change however it was dark. I assume that it was a normal drydock where they flood the chamber and the ship floats off the supports.

Haven - Thank you so much for the update. Sounds like progress is being made.

This is why Cruise critic is so great. There is usually someone on here who has an answer to every question we ask.

We are leaving in a couple of hours. I have every faith that the Star will be sitting at her dock tomorrow morning.

Vette

Vette, Take good care of her. We go the cruise after you. Have a wonderful time!

Archived