Princess transfer Southampton - check-in busy?

Hi all, we're considering whether to take the Princess transfer to Southampton from London or make our own way via bus or train. For the Princess transfer, I'm wondering does check-in get backed up at the cruise terminal because so many passengers are getting off the coach(es) and checking in at the same time? Would it be better to try to arrive a little earlier by taking the National Express bus or train?

Thanks,

Alicia

It’s not something I’d worry about. A coach can only hold 50-60 people which is only a small proportion of passengers on the ship so it won’t make much of a dent on the check-in queues.

And any cons are surely outweighed by the pros of the coach dropping you right outside the terminal, as opposed to the train or National Express which both involve a taxi or walk to the ship.

• Like 1

Airport coaches tour the terminals one or two at a time, when one fills & leaves another is brought forward, so they naturally arrive well spaced-out.

And Princess is popular with Brits, who'll be arriving by train or by car

JB 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We took our transfer via Princess from Terminal 4. Pick up time was 9 30 am. Of course everyone got there early. Very orderly. Agent there very friendly. Sat waiting in comfort. She kept us apprised if bus arrival. We checked out Victoria Coach station earlier in the week and a firm decision, we would never ever sit in a stuffy bus station waiting for a coach National Express or Princess from that Victoria Coach station. For us grabbing the transfer from Princess at the airport is the best way for us. Much more civilized. Maybe it was just a busy morning, the morning we passed by Victoia coach station, but it did not leave a good impression on us. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would take the Princess transfer from London Victoria Coach again.  It was very well arranged and efficient.  I dropped my bags with the Princess rep and saw them again in my room. You are delivered right to the ship. Wait time between check in and getting on the bus was about an hour.  Seating during this time was not universally available.  I recommend snagging a seat and then have one of the members of your party check in.  We did run into a problem at embarkation because Princess’ “systems were down,” but that had nothing to do with a busload of people arriving all at once.