The Glaciers on Dog Sled trips?

DarkOne

Hello all. I'm researching our first Alaska cruise (Coral Princess, July 2006).

We want to do a helicopter glacier walk, but also want to do a dog sled tour. Most of the dog sled trips mention that the camps are "on a glacier".

If we do a dog sled excursion on a glacier, is there any reason to do a separate "walk on a glacier" tour? The glaciers in the pics of the dog sled tour look like mountains or normal land. Are the glacier excursion glaciers any different? Is there a difference overall?

Thanks for the help!

Steve in Philly

Yes they are different. Glacier dog sledding is on way more snow. Glacier helicopter landings will be way more ice and that deep blue of the photos. :)

Thanks, BQ. That is what I was looking for. It is our first foray to Alaska, and we are trying to do everything. We're already decided on Bears at Anan Creek (K-Kan) and Capt Larry Whale Watching (Juneau).

Since we really want to see the "real" glaciers, we'll probably choose an heli ice trek over dog sledding. Of course, there's always Skagway for something else :)

Thanks again.

Steve

A good option if you want to do both glacier and dogsledding, but can't afford two expensive flights, is to try the dog"sledding" in Skagway through Alaska Excursions.

They have a dog camp in Dyea where you take a wheeled cart on a trail through the forest. It's very beautiful, the dogs are just as impressive and it costs a fraction of the glacier sledding trip.

That way, you could take the ice trek (highly recommended as the best on-glacier experience), still experience the dog camp and have some money left for drinks in the Red Onion afterward.

Win-win.

I had the same problem...we wanted the glacier experience on 'ice,' and also wanted to do the dog-sledding. We opted for the more expensive route ...splitting up 2 heli tours with 1 in Skagway with Temsco, and the other in Juneau with Coastal.

VERY expensive, but what the heck...we only get to go on vacation once a year (and now I'll be working the rest of it to pay all this off!).

Archived