Bid to upgrade timescales

WelshmanAtSea

13 hours ago, davecttr said:

That Iona G406 cruise in January is costing me £2254 at £161 per night for a select cabin deck 10 forward cabin allocated so that's £555 for single occupancy. I have no idea how I am going to spend the £350 OBC plus £150 shareholder benefit

Easy 😆 Treat yourself to some extra excursions and a few goodies from the shops onboard! 

21 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you know your cabin number yet, and is it perfectly acceptable?

Yes, it was provided before I made the payment bid: it’s literally perfect for us, top category of the Superior Deluxe, mid ship, cabins above and below. We are very happy.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I’m pleased to hear that you are happy with your outcome. I guess the point I was trying to make is that whilst the price difference for the upgrade might be less than the price difference at the time that someone booked, the actual total price that people may end up paying, even after a successful upgrade, may still be more than the cruise had previously been on sale for. Hope that makes sense 😂 

I get what you are saying, but we booked on a very good price initially (watching cruise prices is a hobby of mine 😂) and that’s why I was massively surprised to even win because the price we got it for was less than it had been on sale for at any time I had been checking. Also the fact that the price I had written down for comparison for paying for the cabin initially was a saver lowest category, but we have been allocated the top grade in the category, and as it was booked as Select we still get those perks too: for the price I’ve paid I expected lowest grading, over Havana or something 😂

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cloudyrain said:

Yes, it was provided before I made the payment bid: it’s literally perfect for us, top category of the Superior Deluxe, mid ship, cabins above and below. We are very happy.

Congratulations, hope you have a really good cruise.  Can I ask which ship you are booked on, presumably one of the biggies? 

14 minutes ago, tring said:

Congratulations, hope you have a really good cruise.  Can I ask which ship you are booked on, presumably one of the biggies? 

Thank you. This time we are going on the Ventura - I don’t know if I would risk an upgrade on one of the big ships as there are so many less desirable upgrades that I wouldn’t really like as much (especially as we usually go Select to pick specific cabins), but with Ventura we would be happy with any of the Superior Deluxe balcony cabins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cloudyrain said:

I get what you are saying, but we booked on a very good price initially (watching cruise prices is a hobby of mine 😂) and that’s why I was massively surprised to even win because the price we got it for was less than it had been on sale for at any time I had been checking. Also the fact that the price I had written down for comparison for paying for the cabin initially was a saver lowest category, but we have been allocated the top grade in the category, and as it was booked as Select we still get those perks too: for the price I’ve paid I expected lowest grading, over Havana or something 😂

That’s great news. Well done. I wonder if those who booked Select get the best of the upgraded cabins? That would seem fair, but I guess would rely upon P&Os IT systems…….🤔😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That’s great news. Well done. I wonder if those who booked Select get the best of the upgraded cabins? That would seem fair, but I guess would rely upon P&Os IT systems…….🤔😂

I have read on here somewhere,it’s handled externally so nothing to do with P&O’s  I T systems. 

4 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I have read on here somewhere,it’s handled externally so nothing to do with P&O’s  I T systems. 

Yes, I read it is a third party company, maybe Canadian, that provides 'revenue enhancing' services to cruise lines.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Yes, I read it is a third party company, maybe Canadian, that provides 'revenue enhancing' services to cruise lines.

I heard the same from a friend who used to work for MSC: they find it easier to sell the “cheaper” cabins/categories last minute, so they try and offload the more difficult to sell cabins to their existing customers. Especially as psychologically people are more detached from the cost they originally paid, and don’t see the upgrade cost in the same way.

• Like 1