Questions for past Mercury cruisers to Mexican Rivera?

vince4

We will be on the Mercury this April on the 11 night Mexican Rivera Cruise. This is our first cruise on a Century Class ship after 3 previous cruises on the Millenium Class.

1. Is there much rocking on the Mercury? We encountered some rocking on the Infinity from San Diego to Cabo, the rest was perfect.

2. Are there any night events under the stars? The Infinity had a great sail away party as we left Acapulco.

3. Which bar has the best/fun bartenders (for recent cruisers)?

4. How is the CD and DJ onboard?

5. Any secret spots that are missed or not discovered until the end of the cruise by chance?

Thanks,

Vince4

I was on the Mercury 10 day a few years ago and will be on the April 17th cruise again. I have been on over 15 previous Mexican Riviera cruises. I guarantee that the last day back the ship will rock and roll. All ships rock and roll the last day. I was on the huge Sapphiree Princess in December and it rocked. Why...the ships go full speed and hit head winds and current trying to make port in San Diego. Bring a patch.

They have a very nice out door party in Acapulco prior to the 11:00PM departure.

We just did this cruise in January.

Fun cruise, even got to see whales and, dolphins passing

Cabo on the way back to San Diego.

I did NOT notice much rolling on the MERCURY.

It was a little rough leaving San Diego, but,

soon, abeam Mexico, it went smooth for the rest

of the cruise.

Only complaint about that cruise, in Acapulco,

some guy squirted some brown stuff on me, to

make me think it was bird poop...then, produced

a hankie to "help clean up" my backside.

While "wiping down", he helped himself to my wallet,

which he DROPPED, and, I recovered it intact. :D

I know they warn you on the ship about these

guys, but, I never thought it would happen to me.

I was completely distracted..and, it ALMOST cost me.

Lucky for me, it did not, but, I won't carry a wallet

anymore with me ashore, especially in Acapulco MX.

We just did this cruise in January.

Fun cruise, even got to see whales and, dolphins passing

Cabo on the way back to San Diego.

I did NOT notice much rolling on the MERCURY.

It was a little rough leaving San Diego, but,

soon, abeam Mexico, it went smooth for the rest

of the cruise.

Only complaint about that cruise, in Acapulco,

some guy squirted some brown stuff on me, to

make me think it was bird poop...then, produced

a hankie to "help clean up" my backside.

While "wiping down", he helped himself to my wallet,

which he DROPPED, and, I recovered it intact. :D

I know they warn you on the ship about these

guys, but, I never thought it would happen to me.

I was completely distracted..and, it ALMOST cost me.

Lucky for me, it did not, but, I won't carry a wallet

anymore with me ashore, especially in Acapulco MX.

SOME TRICK THANKS FOR THE WARNING

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

NEXT CRUISE Mercury January 29th ,2007 11Night Mexican Rievera

Fblack, Is the last day back REALLY bad?!! :mad: I usually bring some bonnine "just in case" but if you're recommending the patch, I'm really worried! I've never done the Pacific before, just the Caribbean.

BTW, I'm on the Mercury April 17th also! Guess I'd better call for a prescription!

On the Merc Nov 2003, and going again in 2006, so I'll try to help by answering as much as I can. Obviously we had a great time too book the same itenerary and same week again.

1. Is there much rocking on the Mercury? We encountered some rocking on the Infinity from San Diego to Cabo, the rest was perfect. About the same, some rocking San Diego to Cabo, but I quite my seasicknes meds after Cabo.

2. Are there any night events under the stars? The Infinity had a great sail away party as we left Acapulco. Well this was two years ago, but the Night Under the Star, Mariachi Night was great. The show that late night in Acapolco was Ballet Folklorico, and Mariachi's. The Mariachis also played on deck right up to sail time. Then the Ships band played party music as we left the port.

3. Which bar has the best/fun bartenders (for recent cruisers)? Can't help you here as we went two years ago.

4. How is the CD and DJ onboard? Again, two years ago not much help. But we did have fun in the Disco.

5. Any secret spots that are missed or not discovered until the end of the cruise by chance? We really love the Sky Bar for the Sail Aways. Out of the way of the chair hogs, good view, and great if you have a great bar tender. We also enjoyed hanging out in the bar at the aft of the ship before dinner. I can't remember the name, maybe somebody will help me. but it a a loung on the back of the ship on the decks between the Manhattan Rest, and the buffet area. Anyway, the Celebrity Orchestra played big band music there. Something we missed on Infinity.

-lots of rocking last couple days, none noticed previously

-sail away party leaving Acapulco. Timing sucks because the next day you are only in Ixtapa from 7-2.

-met lots of fun bartenders, guys by the pool at at the sky bar were fun

-dj derek is great. not alot of people up at the navigator in the evening, so he was very receptive to requests. He played whatever we wanted right away, he was just happy to have people dancing and enjoying his music. He even came out to shake it up with us a few times. Most nights pretty quiet there.

-no great "secret spots" to speak of. Sky Bar is great, but hardly private. Martini bar is small but if you like martinis and are willing to pay the price, it is great. Deck 5 is the shuffleboard if I remember, and there are chairs out there that are a nice and quiet, though shady area. Do eat lunch at the back of the ship on deck 11, as it is a great, sunny patio.

cruise Director is Dru, I don't know what a CCH is!?!?!?!

Have a lot of fun and enjoy the service, it was the best part of the cruise. We were on the ship Feb. 24-Mar. 5. Request what you'd like in the dining room, they will make escargot for you or give you cheesecake for dessert everynight if you'd like, just ask. Also, if your bed is hard ask for an extra egg carton foam and you will receive one. Everyone is very eager to help make your trip a great one.

my own tip- enjoy 2 for 1 drinks around the pool every afternoon, or 2-1 coffee after dinner. Most drinks are 5 or 6 dollars, martinis around 10, so being able to get sone for 3 bucks is a great deal!

Have a blast!

Debbie:p

Tuggers ~ the Capt Club Hostess is Delia. She just arrived before we boarded in early February so she'll be there awhile. She was great....came to Celebrity from the Ritz-Carlton Montreal where she was a concierge.

Vince:

1) We had next to no motion on our February 3 - 13 sailing. I was really surprised because I figured we would have some movement but we really didn't....not even in or out of San Diego. What we did have on the last day was heavy fog. So heavy you lost the pool deck at one point. Every cruise is different. Unless you are easily suspectible to seasickness, you are probably be fine with your bonine.

2) They have a deck party as you leave Acapulco. This was by far the best deck party we've seen on any ship. Everyone showed up (or so it seemed). Nice buffet areas and decorations. Everyone danced and had a great time. There were even fireworks from the shore (no idea why). It was a perfect night.

3) In our opinion, the best bartender we encountered was Boom Boom at the Martini bar. You can tell by his name that he was a lot of fun. Only challenge here is that this area gets very crowded just before dinner.

4) Derek (the DJ) and Dru (the CD) were both great. Actually, we found the entire cruise staff to be great. Rebecca, the Asst CD, was terrific, too. Not sure how long all of these folks will be on board. One of the cruise staff left for vacation the day we got off the ship so you never know who will be there when you get onboard.

5) I agree with Cruise Arizona. The aft area outside the rear pool is very nice. No music back here during our cruise. And the area one deck down aft is very quiet and a great place to get away and read a book. We actually had friends who renewed their wedding vows here. It was a great spot!

ENJOY....this is a terrific cruise.

Finely ~ have a fantastic cruise! We'd go back on Mercury in a heartbeat. We enjoyed this itinerary a great deal (had not done it before). Have a safe and wonderful time! Let us know how it was when you return.

Bon Voyage

I know this is probably outdated information, but we sailed the Mercury for New Year's 2005 and we have sailed the Mexican Riviera on many ships more times than I can count (the beauty of living 20 minutes from the port), and have experienced the last day rocking and rolling and especially the wind. I am very sensitive to movement, not sea sickness, but I just don't like it. Anyway, I very distincly remembering mentioning to my husband, as we were sitting around on the last day, return sailing, how wonderful the Mercury takes to the waves and how smooth, compared to other ships we had taken.

Archived