Question about waiting to purchase Princess Plus onboard

palolake

On 7/4/2023 at 7:06 AM, Coral said:

I purchased it the first day on the cruise. It was $60 per day ($660 for 11 nights) and I got a $10 credit for some reason. I used OBC to purchase it. I had all the benefits if I had purchased it before the cruise. It was cheaper to buy it on the ship because it didn't increase insurance costs and I could use OBC. This was in May.

image.thumb.jpeg.96bb1babde6c007695610df7e997d4a4.jpeg

Did you by chance look at the price prior to getting on-board to upgrade? I'm curious because my cruise personalizer is saying $540 right now to upgrade to princess plus for 10-nights which is actually LESS than $60 a day.  I also want to upgrade once onboard but I'm afraid it will then be $600 instead of $540.  I have several hundred dollars of shipboard credit I'd like to apply so that's why I'm stalling to purchase... 

On 7/3/2023 at 7:56 PM, southwestgal said:

We purchased the Princess Plus package on the first day of our California Coastal cruise on the Emerald Princess in May 2023. We purchased it from one of the crew while enjoying a slice of pizza on the deck. It was the same price as purchasing pre cruise - $60 per person per day. It instantly activated and included all of the benefits.  We were given a flyer with all the benefits listed. For us, there was no difference purchasing pre cruise vs onboard.  The crew member was stocked with flyers and proactively told us about it when we ordered drinks from him and he saw we didn’t have a package. 

Forgot to mention that you have to buy it the first day.   After that it is no longer available.  

I would love to do this on day 1 but for some reason my cruise personalizer is showing $540 for 10-days right now instead of $600 to purchase princess plus so I'm afraid the price will go up once I'm on-board.  I have several hundred dollards of shipboard credit or I would just do it now at the lower price so I guess it will be a risk I have to take and wait and see... 

On 7/4/2023 at 8:06 AM, Coral said:

I purchased it the first day on the cruise. It was $60 per day ($660 for 11 nights) and I got a $10 credit for some reason. I used OBC to purchase it. I had all the benefits if I had purchased it before the cruise. It was cheaper to buy it on the ship because it didn't increase insurance costs and I could use OBC. This was in May.

image.thumb.jpeg.96bb1babde6c007695610df7e997d4a4.jpeg

Did you pay for the delivery of the medallions?  Could that be your $10 credit?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lynn247 said:

Did you pay for the delivery of the medallions?  Could that be your $10 credit?

I picked up my medallion at the pier. I think the credit is for that but I didn't pay for the delivery.

Weird thing is that I originally booked this when they mailed medallions free. I cancelled and rebooked at final payment to get a much better deal. Under those terms, I had to pay for delivery and just choose to pick them up at the pier. Still got $10 credit.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 11:32 AM, palolake said:

We are debating on waiting to purchase Princess Plus to when we get onboard.  Our trip insurance would be less if we did that.  I know that you can do that but I'm wondering 1) If it will include drinks, wifi and tips just like precruise and 2) will it cost the exact same amount.  I haven't been able to get a response from anyone who has actually done it.  Not just a guess.  TIA

When Princess decides willy nilly to change things I would be concerned too.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 3:03 AM, david63 said:

Not necessarily. Currently in the UK there is an offer with 50% off the Plus package which I doubt will apply when onboard.

7 hours ago, SleeStack1 said:

How long before embark can one cancel the P+ package?

If I wanted to lock in the current price, cancel if it stays the same as cruise nears, and then buy on board with OBC?

I didn't see cancel in the package T&Cs

If it works the same as the cruise fare itself, it obviously isn't doable.

I read somewhere that you can change up to 3 days prior.

On 7/4/2023 at 12:39 PM, david63 said:

Isn't that the same?

Currently it is £25 per day for the Plus package

More or less - there are probably some minor exclusions but as far as I am concerned cancelling one final payment is made would be for an insurable event.

Unless it's not....it could be for cancel for any reason.

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

I read somewhere that you can change up to 3 days prior.

I have an extended (25 days) coming up but it starts with a 2 day cruise. I purchased the $50 per day package for both cruises and all has been paid. I thought about changing the 2 day to the $80 package to see if I would get the 2 dinners that are supposed to be part of that package; I am unable to do so on line or by calling Princess-"You need to contact your TA". He has been unable to do so-Princess seems to be stonewalling him. I will probably wait until I get aboard but would rather get it out of the way 🙂

On 7/4/2023 at 7:13 AM, Cruise Raider said:

The only risk, albeit small one, is if the package price increases before you sail.  I see that another cruise line, I believe it wasCelebrity, just announced they are raising the gratuities.  In my experience, one line starts it and the rest follow.   
But, we’ve purchased it onboard and it’s been super simple and you can use your OBC.  Crew members get credit if they sell you the package or the upgrade to premier.  So, while it’s really easy to do on the app, it’s nice to give credit to one of the crew members instead. It helps them out and won’t cost you anything.  

This is a very good point.  These prices change all the time and, depending on how far out your cruise is, they could easily raise the price any time.  This is especially true if people are accepting the new prices and features and starting to sign up for Plus because it seems more tempting.

• Like 1