My cruise companion may need to cancel our cruise due to a cancer diagnosis of her husband. There are 4 of us, 2 cabins. I still want to go.

The cruise is in less than 30 days, so no refunds from the cruise line.

We have travel insurance with Allianz.

Is it better to have her just be a no show and then I can cruise as planned with no single supplement and she would get reimbursed from the insurance company?

or does she need to cancel the cruise beforehand even though she won’t get any refunds and I would be required to pay a single supplement? 

Your cruise companion may be able to cancel for a covered reason. Should probably talk to the insurance company first. Get any guidance provided in writing (names/dates/time). He said/she said doesn't work.

If, in fact, the cruise companions' reason for canceling is covered, then IF the cruise line charges you a single supplement, then you should be able to file for reimbursement after your cruise for the added single supplement.

If the cruise companion has no issue with losing all of the money, then of course, the cruise companion being a no-show is also an option.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

Your friend will not receive anything except port fees and taxes unless she cancels the cruise. Insurance will not reimburse for no-show.

Check your policy. I don’t know which one you have, but even the Essential plan covers single supplement.  If your friend’s husband received a recent diagnosis, not a pre-existing condition, she will be reimbursed as a cancellation for medical reasons and you will be reimbursed for the single supplement.

That is why you bought insurance - to protect yourself from financial loss as a result of unforeseen circumstances. Use it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vmom said:

My cruise companion may need to cancel our cruise due to a cancer diagnosis of her husband. There are 4 of us, 2 cabins. I still want to go.

The cruise is in less than 30 days, so no refunds from the cruise line.

We have travel insurance with Allianz.

Is it better to have her just be a no show and then I can cruise as planned with no single supplement and she would get reimbursed from the insurance company?

or does she need to cancel the cruise beforehand even though she won’t get any refunds and I would be required to pay a single supplement? 

Hi vmom,

I'm sorry to hear about your cruise companion's husband's cancer. I hope he gets the best care and recovers quickly.

As klfrodo & Babr have said, it's best if your cruise companion is not a "no-show".

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1