KONA HOP ON HOP OFF TROLLEY

jamscckmc

If it is we didn't find it!  I asked at the info booth by the tender dock and was directed to a hop on hop off bus but it was $35 per person.  It ran the same route as I had read the free one did.  We just wanted to go to the beach and snorkel, so it probably wasn't any more than a cab two directions would have been.  The driver gave a lot of good historical info, so It was worth it to us but free would have been better!! 🙂 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The trolley is running and it is free. Route map is easily found online. 

Walk to end of pier after getting off tender, go across the small parking area and there is an ABC store on the corner of the hotel.  There is a walkway in front of it to the street and that is where the trolley stops. You’ll see a “Trolley Stop” sign on the post. It goes along Ali’i Drive right along the shore to the Keauhou shopping area where it turns around and heads back.  It stops at 2 popular beaches, Magic Sands Beach and Kahalu’u Beach which is popular for snorkeling. 

Directly across the street from the ABC store is another stop for it going the other direction.  It heads inland there and then along Route 11 or Queen Ka’ahumanu Hwy to the Kona Commons Shopping Center and stops by the Dairy Queen (again there is a sign and if you’re there the trolley is easily visible as it approaches) before crossing the street to stop by the Target before heading back towards the pier.  

It does a continuous loop taking about 1 hour.  I have heard talk about the addition of a second trolley but don’t think that has happened.  On cruise ship days I have seen a long line for it by the ABC store. If that happens and you see it going the other less popular direction get on it and grab a seat as you can stay on it as long as you wish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2023 at 2:44 AM, seychelle said:

The trolley is running and it is free. Route map is easily found online. 

Walk to end of pier after getting off tender, go across the small parking area and there is an ABC store on the corner of the hotel.  There is a walkway in front of it to the street and that is where the trolley stops. You’ll see a “Trolley Stop” sign on the post. It goes along Ali’i Drive right along the shore to the Keauhou shopping area where it turns around and heads back.  It stops at 2 popular beaches, Magic Sands Beach and Kahalu’u Beach which is popular for snorkeling. 

Directly across the street from the ABC store is another stop for it going the other direction.  It heads inland there and then along Route 11 or Queen Ka’ahumanu Hwy to the Kona Commons Shopping Center and stops by the Dairy Queen (again there is a sign and if you’re there the trolley is easily visible as it approaches) before crossing the street to stop by the Target before heading back towards the pier.  

It does a continuous loop taking about 1 hour.  I have heard talk about the addition of a second trolley but don’t think that has happened.  On cruise ship days I have seen a long line for it by the ABC store. If that happens and you see it going the other less popular direction get on it and grab a seat as you can stay on it as long as you wish. 

Just visited in October, there was only one trolley and the driver(who was very nice)was asking people if they were from a cruise ship. He was picking-up only 10 cruisers at a time at the ABC stop and wouldn't allow cruisers at the next stop to get on.  We were headed toward the direction of the beaches.           

When we were done at the beaches we boarded the trolley and headed back toward town, the driver stopped in town and said all cruisers needed to exit. 

I'm not sure if it was just this driver or company policy, he mentioned that he needed to keep seats available for the locals to get around, which I understand.

Diana