Insulin

Texascruisers

I take and freeze a water bottle for my meds and place it in the over night case with it. Wrap the bottle in a wash rag first. This keeps it cool. I do know insulin should be fine for one days travel if it isnt too hot out. Another thing that works good is one of those freezer cold packs. It fits well in a case with it. You can also pick up a Medic Bag from a pharmacy that has a freezer pack that you use with it. Up to you on paying for soemthing or use what may be around the house.

Insulin can be room temps for a few hours and not go bad.-You just don't want it to get super hot. (so you would never pack it in CHECKED luggage) My Mom would always carry hers in her purse. Then when she got to the hotel-she would place it on top of the airconditioner in the summer or else she would fill the ice bucket and put it there. Now this was many years ago-I am thinking back to my childhood and traveling with my Mom.

My mom loved to travel! She never got to do a cruise though-I guess I am taking all the cruises she never got to take. she always wanted to do a cruise.

Most hotels today have refrigerators and the newer cruise ships have refrigerators even in the inside staterooms- but even on an older cruiseship-the steward can bring you an ice bucket. Just make sure he knows you want fresh ice everyday. Keep your insulin in a cooler or thermas and fill it with ice and change the ice daily if you are on an older ship. Ofcourse if you are on a newer ship-then you have a fridge.

I would suggest the insulin pens. They are very convenient, and no need for refridgeration (just keep them at room temps). Depending on what type of insulin she is using (Novolog, Novolin or Humalog) the pen is the best way to go. Ask your doctor.

My DH is diabetic, and he doesn't keep any of his insulin cold when we travel. But be sure to bring extra test strips as it's very important to test more often when traveling. More likely to go "low" due to activities. Bring a tube of cake icing in case her BSL drops. Have fun!!

I think you will find that when the meds are shipped they are kept cool with freezer packs these work great for trips also just keep them in the freezer then you can use them with a cooler bag. this is what we use to trans port DS growth meds. you will also have to inform the airline as well as the cruise line. You can get a note from your doctor that will cover the airline and cruise line

I hope this helps

I'm a nurse (I work on a surgical floor) and we do not refrigerate any of the insulin. The pharmacist said as long as you use the opened vial within the month, you are fine. Don't get it too warm (no more than 75-80 degree) tho, so when you are on a port that gets toasty, put it in a cool pack.

I'm a nurse (I work on a surgical floor) and we do not refrigerate any of the insulin. The pharmacist said as long as you use the opened vial within the month, you are fine. Don't get it too warm (no more than 75-80 degree) tho, so when you are on a port that gets toasty, put it in a cool pack.

I second this- I'm a veterinarian, and we've had a few clients forget to refrigerate their pet's insulin. The local pharmacist said the same thing- up to a month is ok. Just check with your pharmacist, in case it depends on the type of insulin.

dogdoc

If you are interested in keeping your insulin cool during your travels, there is this product that keeps your insulin cool. I'm not a seller or anything. I have diabetes too and have looked into using this product...haven't bought it though, but it seems very helpful. This is one of the websites that I found that carries it....

http://www.coolerconcept.com/index.htm

Thankfully Princess has refridgerators.

Archived