Best type of gloves for antartic

Papadog

I'm going there with these...

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-whirlibird-ii-glove-|-010-|-l-194895682004.html

Waterproof, supposed to work with touchscreen, decent in cold weather.

Also taking a "generic" pair of waterproof touchscreen "cold weather" gloves off e-bay for backup.

I do a lot of photo/video stuff, so the real bulky gloves are a deal breaker. Remains to be seen if I am making the right choice with these, but "on paper" it should work!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I have no specific brand recommendations.

I took a pair of not expensive but brand name ski gloves that I have had for years just for cold / occasional snow in the winter (not for skiing). We also bought glove liners, made from a very thin wicking material gloves specifically for this trip. These would be especailly useful I think inside of mitts.

I struggled with the gloves a lot but was *very* happy to have also had the liners. I could not use the gloves with the camera and on landings  fumbled around getting them on and off. The excursion guides are very strict, as they should be, about anyone sitting down or placing anything, such as a day pack or camera case, on the ground / snow. Transmitting avian flu is a major concern.

Consequently, did not want to drop a glove while getting them off or stuffing into a pocket, etc. So it was on and off and on and off and annoying. Removing the outer glove though the glove liner was often sufficient to keep the cold and wind away  so once on shore I would just stuff the outer glove in my pocket and leave them unless hands got too cold. 

So for me, thin was better. But on the zodiac hands, are exposed hanging on to the rope ( I question its usefulness but made me feel better) so I did need them.

NOTE: once on the zodiac I got a good splash, Parka and pants all fine but one glove got very wet and was far worse wearing it than not. I suppose any water "resistance" in the gloves outer shell had long expired. In a few minutes my fingers were numb. I have not used waterproof gloves and did not like the idea that hands could get damp and clammy inside. But that would be minor I think to wet gloves that soaked up the Antarctic water.

I am guessing that the liners would not fit under thinner "touchscreen" gloves. When spending time out on deck I always just used the liners.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I enjoy photography so I spent a lot of time researching products and what would work best for my needs.   I've found supposed touch screen gloves don't always work.  This is what I ended up with for our Atlas Antarctic cruise in December 2021.

I had thin liner gloves that you could remove the top for the thumb and index finger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L1XZCZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Over that I had fold away mittens that were fingerless.  Unfortunately REI is no longer selling this particular product, but I'm sure there is something similar out there.  Keep in mind you need to factor in the liners when choosing a size.

https://www.rei.com/product/198245/mountain-equipment-g2-alpine-combi-mitts?redirect-pup=false

Worn together it was the perfect combination for my needs.  Hands were warm and water resistant, but I could uncover a finger to operate a touch screen if I needed to.  They're heading out on other cruise in November. 🙂

There are quite a few gloves where you can uncover the tips of your fingers.  Search 'fishing gloves cold weather' on Amazon and you'll see some heavier weight options if you aren't interested in the two glove system.

• Like 1