*2nd Attempt* Trip Review - Equinox (June 24 - July 2)

jsmariner

What a wonderful review!  I know how long it takes to write a review like this and incorporate photos (which were great, by the way).  If you haven't already (and you have the review in one document), please post it in our REVIEWS section of Cruise Critic so others can see it who might be considering Equinox or Celebrity.  Here's a link to the Equinox REVIEW section: https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=382

I was disappointed to see the menus in the main dining room, especially the first Chic Evening.  Hopefully menus will improve as time goes on.  

THANKS AGAIN for taking the time to share your review....OH....I loved the Vietnamese Ao Dai.  Just beautiful!

We’re sailing on Equinox in a few weeks and though we’ve been on her many times, it’s nice to enjoy your excellent photos and comments.

Sad to see the same menu items at lunch and dinner that have not changed in many many years and yet minus the cheese cake which is my go to dessert.

Loved your dress your spouse got you for chic night. Nice to see people dress up at night.

Thanks for reminding me what is unique about Equinox, especially forgot about hot glass show.

As an aside, hope you are well, as another poster said more than a few passengers said they had COVID shortly after arriving home.

On 7/7/2023 at 8:09 AM, jsmariner said:

Embarkation Day - Saturday, June 24

Stopped by Cafe al Bacio before dinner. DH chose a vanilla éclair that didn't live up to expectations as there was almost no cream filling, and a lemon tartlet that won him over. I had a chocolate tartlet that was pretty good and a fruit tart which was a hit with me. I got one every time they were available from then on out.

image.thumb.png.97ecf2ff8b6a8396c24f23d4a0011d4b.png

image.thumb.png.9d67b98000a8871326bc0ae3bb829377.png

We'd opted for a table for two and traditional late dining at 8:30 PM, so we were on Deck 3 for Silhouette. I'd hoped for a window seat, but we were seated right next to the wall for Luminae. It turned out to be the perfect spot, however, as most of the dining room was very dark but we had lights directly above us so we could actually see our menus and food.

image.thumb.png.568e9fcf8dcda71b4f9e2636622875a0.png

image.thumb.png.7f9651f1107d18d6f48d426ce6411566.png

DH ordered a Mexican Firing Squad for a pre-dinner cocktail which he decided was okay, but wouldn't order again. He let me try a sip but, as I'm not a fan of tequila to begin with, it didn't suit me.

image.thumb.png.e56c43edb6bd133b4e85e75ada0b0d41.png

We'd been following the menus (and all the changes) on the Celebrity app for a little while, so we were pretty disappointed to find out we were going to be guinea pigs for a stripped down menu. Several of the items we were hoping to try were missing. We always found something tasty that suited us, but did feel a little cheated. When we got home, the app showed the previous menus had returned for the next cruise. Grrrr!

The menu:

image.thumb.png.5d5fb2a1e128dbe432a418f417c8df0b.png

For starters, DH tried escargot for the first time and decided he like it. I stole one off his plate to try and decided that I did not. He also had the cream of wild forest mushroom soup, which he also liked.

image.thumb.png.e7cb6ab15a7317784915ea34b26a9937.png

image.thumb.png.6b10a602c257a6dbbb4b6e3a109b2dd3.png

I had the roasted red beets which were delicious with the creamiest Feta I've ever eaten. But my French onion soup (that I had been so looking forward to trying) was a slight let down. It had excellent flavor and wasn't too salty, but it was all broth with only a couple of onions. Not sure what happened there.

image.thumb.png.88d7e0a4db80c0e565bf32eb786ab52a.png

image.thumb.png.a864a97d2e4d410087ff7df41220ea3a.png

For the night's main entrée, we both selected the aged prime rib and it was perfect.

image.thumb.png.a8bd132b263bfc94db8ed454c4f12ce8.png

And rounding it out with dessert, DH had the cheesecake with strawberry and I had the chocolate cherry trifle. Both were excellent.

image.thumb.png.22a8e7b492c650e77cacfa3160a3e785.png

image.thumb.png.c2f1df21d369d9f10e9119738ba01bc5.png

image.thumb.png.f41b9a8716d285b95456a34dccc65049.png

After dinner, we went up to the Sky Lounge hoping for some late night dancing, but the floor was absolutely packed with a younger crowd that seemed to be slightly inebriated and/or high on life. It wasn't our scene and I was a little disappointed, honestly. I hoped this wasn't going to turn out to be a "party" cruise.

We wandered the upper decks for a bit enjoying the fresh air, then went back to my favorite spot in front of the fitness center on deck 12. It was midnight now so I figured we would've surely cleared the coast of Florida, but there were city lights looming up before us. Then someone above us on deck 15 (in front of the sports court) mentioned to the passengers around him that there had been a medical emergency and the captain had turned back to Miami. We never did find out what the emergency was or the outcome for the passenger, but I hope he or she is okay.

image.thumb.png.a64537e32ab5872a50f8b31fd2a26df7.png

Once we reached the buoys marking the entrance to the Port of Miami, we felt the engines stop and a Coast Guard vessel came out to meet us. DH's brother is retired Coast Guard and had told DH some vessels were equipped with rocket jets. At the rate of speed they were traveling, he guessed they were using them. I was surprised they were going to do a vessel-to-vessel transfer at sea, but it was interesting to witness. The Coast Guard pulled right up along our port side. As we were on the bow, I didn't feel comfortable leaning so far over the rail with my phone, but DH is much taller than I am and snapped a pic.

image.thumb.png.24fd43adb165c60c859afb4983ea50e4.png

Once the Coast Guard vessel was clear of the ship, we started back up again and she really got to moving, then. I'm guessing the captain was trying to make up for lost time. We did make it to our first port, Aruba, as scheduled.

At this point, it was after 1 AM and time for bed.

I discussed the Miami diversion with the captain briefly.  He said doing the boat-to-boat transfer was faster for them than going to the dock as the dock option would require the pilot to come out, slowing and maneuvering to the pier.  He said doing the boat-to-boat may have saved 1 - 2 hours for the patient.  And it got us back enroute quicker.  I originally asked about this being a result of the boat collision that occured in MIA, but he said that was 1 -2 hours after we left.  It didn't impact their decision to do a boat-to-boat tranfer.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2023 at 7:59 PM, jsmariner said:

image.thumb.png.61a1a73d83c6b9cd4d7b70e68cc6e3d2.png

image.thumb.png.758990b43094b2f2ecde05f52dcaeb55.png

Hey.... who gave you permission to take a picture of my clock?   LOL

Just kidding.

But, it was heavy.  They delivered it to the cabin in a box.  Then we put luggage tags on it and had it out with the other suitcases.  And it arrived in the terminal no problem.  Then we had a porter take it to our car.  He was well compensated for that.  Ironically, we also had two pieces from glassblowing we had to get off the ship.  

Fortunately, we drove to the port.

It is now on proud display in our house.

• Like 2

Thank you for that amazing cruise review! I feel like I was there with you.  The food pictures were so helpful too.  And your coordinated outfits! Perfect!  We were on the Equinox back in 2019 before Covid, and did the hot glass.  I treasure those pieces.  And were going to be cruising her again in Fall 2024, on the Mediterranean.  So excited! 

Hope you get to go on more frequent cruises, but I sure know how it is with kids! Hubby and I are retired now (just).   And even though we did manage to go a bunch of times, we usually took the troops with us.   Now we’re going duo!  

What a wonderful anniversary you had!