Viking Saturn October 26 th Venice to Barcelona

KALTENST

Hi, starting a roll call here. We are wondering if anyone knows anything about the included Rome excursions. Just had a look at them and there are three options they are calling Rome in Brief. Can anyone tell me what they are like?

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Viking Oceans

Roll calls are found in another section of the Cruise Critic boards. Unless you are sailing in 2024, the roll call for your sailing has been started and can be found here:

Viking Saturn Mediterranean Odyssey (Venice to Barcelona) October 27-November 8, 2023

But, we can ignore the part about the roll call and try to answer your question about the included tour in Rome.

It is called Snapshots of Rome. Here's the description from the website:

Snapshots of Rome

Duration: 6 hours      

Excursion_Type_Sightseeing_20_1x1.svg Sightseeing
Activity_Level_Easy_20_1x1.svg Easy *

Enjoy Historic Monuments and Grand Architecture at an Easy Pace

Relax and take in the sights of Rome, admiring historic monuments and glorious architecture on a leisurely drive. Travel along some of the city’s most scenic routes. See ancient Roman sites, including the Aurelian Walls, Baths of Caracalla, Pyramid of Cestius, Colosseum and the Circus Maximus. Admire the Arch of Constantine, the best triumphal arch in the city, built in 315 AD to celebrate Constantine’s victory at the battle of the Milvian Bridge. Drive along the elegant Via Veneto, enjoying views of Villa Borghese Park. At Piazza della Repubblica, admire the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore and Fountain of the Naiads. Your panoramic drive will also pass through Vatican City, the spiritual and administrative center of the Roman Catholic Church. As you depart Rome, the great facade of iconic St. Peter’s Basilica will come into view.

Rome is an hour and a half bus ride from the dock, so about three hours of the tour is getting there and back. The other three hours is divided between a drive-by bus tour of the highlights of Rome with one stop for photos at the Circus Maximus and the rest of the tour is free time to wander around Vatican City. At Vatican City, because of the long lines and security measures, you may or may not have enough time to tour St. Peter's and you definitely will not have enough time to see the Vatican Museum or the Sistine Chapel.

• Thanks 1

@KALTENST , I saw that you made it to your roll call. I skimmed it and they really are an active bunch.

Still, don't forget the Viking Oceans forum for questions as well, because this is where you will find folks who have already done the ports you will be visiting and will have answers for you. And folks who can answer questions about the ships -- drinks package, curling irons (yes, they are allowed), laundry and launderettes, dress code and other frequently asked questions.

Thanks, I am on a number of Viking groups, and many of my questions have been answered. I am the most concerned about how to spend our time in Rome. I'm glad to see they are offering three included options for Rome which is not just a bus ride. It appears that they will let you off in an area of your choosing from their options and  let you loose, but within that they say that an optional tour can be added, but has to be done on the ship. This doesn't give you the option to preview what they are. We have never been to Rome so we are reluctant to just go off on our own. The limo's seem like a good idea, but I've seen that lots of third party bookings are being cancelled and must be booked directly. They also indicate that lines have been very long, I think even with skip the line. People have listed two hours to see these venues. Still looking at our options for now. Thanks 

Hopefully, lines will be a little shorter in October, as the weather gets a little chillier and the kids are back in school.

I don't envy you. A day in Rome is not easy to plan. There are so many places to see that are so spread out that it is impossible to narrow it down to a manageable few.

• Like 1

We will visit Rome next September, but our day is a Sunday. I am assuming no one can do the Vatican excursions - which should put big time pressure on the other tours. i am currently listening to your conversation for tips for next year.

St. Peter's Basilica is open.

Sistine Chapel is closed.

Vatican Museums are closed on Sundays except the last Sunday of each month. Additionally, it is closed on 1 and 6 January, 11 February, 10 April, 1 May, 29 June, 15 and 16 August, 1 November, 8, 25, 26 and 31 December

Last Sunday of the month opening is supposedly the busiest of all days.