Catacombs/Crypts

rg123

I am looking at two tours: one does the Capuchin Crypt and museum, catacombs of Santa Domitilla, and the Basilica of San Martino ai Monti (3 1/2 hours) and the other does the Capuchin Crypts, St Callixtus catacombs, Appian Way/Aurelian Walls (3 hours)

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences regarding which is the better example of catacombs?

Thank you

Both of the tours cover the two main different types of catacombs found in Rome. The first type are the ancient catacombs, first used by ancient Romans for burials and later by Christians -- these are covered in your tours by the Domatilla and Callixtus catacombs. 

The other type of catacombs are those created by monks starting in medieval times, famously by Capuchin monks. They arranged the bones of members of their order who died into various decorative designs that were meant to serve as a reminder to anyone viewing them that death is the unavoidable end of life.

The Capuchin crypt is the same in both tours. Whether the Callixtus or Domatilla catacombs better represent the ancient catacombs is up for debate. I've been to all of the ancient catacombs on the via Appia Antica, and I would probably recommend Domatilla over Callixtus as I found the frescoes in Domatilla much more evident and interesting. 

On the other hand, I think the part of the Callixtus tour that includes some other sights on the Appian Way and Aurelian Walls sounds more interesting than the San Martino basilica. I wish they were more specific about what those sights are, however. 

Edited by cruisemom42

30 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Both of the tours cover the two main different types of catacombs found in Rome. The first type are the ancient catacombs, first used by ancient Romans for burials and later by Christians -- these are covered in your tours by the Domatilla and Callixtus catacombs. 

The other type of catacombs are those created by monks starting in medieval times, famously by Capuchin monks. They arranged the bones of members of their order who died into various decorative designs that were meant to serve as a reminder to anyone viewing them that death is the unavoidable end of life.

The Capuchin crypt is the same in both tours. Whether the Callixtus or Domatilla catacombs better represent the ancient catacombs is up for debate. I've been to all of the ancient catacombs on the via Appia Antica, and I would probably recommend Domatilla over Callixtus as I found the frescoes in Domatilla much more evident and interesting. 

On the other hand, I think the part of the Callixtus tour that includes some other sights on the Appian Way and Aurelian Walls sounds more interesting than the San Martino basilica. I wish they were more specific about what those sights are, however. 

Thank you for the wealth of information you provided. May I ask if you actually took organized tours or went on your own? I read that you don’t really need a tour guide, but since the catacombs are outside Rome and we will be without a car, I thought it might be the simplest way.

31 minutes ago, rg123 said:

Thank you for the wealth of information you provided. May I ask if you actually took organized tours or went on your own? I read that you don’t really need a tour guide, but since the catacombs are outside Rome and we will be without a car, I thought it might be the simplest way.

I visit Rome often and have been going there for many years, so most sites I've done on my own. The catacombs on Via Appia all offer their own guided tours that are included with admission. They offer tours in English throughout the day (usually alternating with other languages). 

Getting to the Via Appia isn't as easy as getting to locations in the central area of historic Rome -- but it's not that hard, either, if you do your research. The area around the catacombs is served by various local buses. You can take a bus (or combination of metro and bus) to the area and then once you get off the three major (open) catacombs are within walking distance of each other: Domatilla, San Sebastiano, and Callixtus. You can also visit the nearby tomb of Cecilia Metella, a very imposing ancient Roman tomb and see other, smaller tombs.

Not all of the catacombs are open every day, you'd need to check the hours for each. Also keep in mind that the best time to walk the Via Appia Antica is on Sundays, when it is closed to most traffic other than pedestrians and cyclists.

The Capuchin crypt is within the city, not on Via Appia. It's not hard to get to via public transportation or taxi or even walking, depending on where your hotel is located. You do need to make a reservation, however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I visit Rome often and have been going there for many years, so most sites I've done on my own. The catacombs on Via Appia all offer their own guided tours that are included with admission. They offer tours in English throughout the day (usually alternating with other languages). 

Getting to the Via Appia isn't as easy as getting to locations in the central area of historic Rome -- but it's not that hard, either, if you do your research. The area around the catacombs is served by various local buses. You can take a bus (or combination of metro and bus) to the area and then once you get off the three major (open) catacombs are within walking distance of each other: Domatilla, San Sebastiano, and Callixtus. You can also visit the nearby tomb of Cecilia Metella, a very imposing ancient Roman tomb and see other, smaller tombs.

Not all of the catacombs are open every day, you'd need to check the hours for each. Also keep in mind that the best time to walk the Via Appia Antica is on Sundays, when it is closed to most traffic other than pedestrians and cyclists.

The Capuchin crypt is within the city, not on Via Appia. It's not hard to get to via public transportation or taxi or even walking, depending on where your hotel is located. You do need to make a reservation, however.

You have been so helpful and I truly appreciate all the tips and the time you spent explaining things.  You headed me in the right direction and I will certainly do some more research, but I think we can forgo the somewhat pricey tour and venture out on our own. Thank you once again. Rita

• Like 1