Packing for Iceland

Hobar

8 hours ago, pavementends said:

Expect wind. A lot of wind. I think there was more wind than Alaska. Apart from that an adequate amount of warm and waterproof clothing.

Thx.  We’ve been to Reykjavik but not beyond. My husband is packing his Alaska jacket. I’ll cobble together ski base layers and rainproof outerwear. 

I have been checking the daily forecast. Highs in the mid to upper 50’s,  windy and chance of rain seems common.

We will be on the Ovation 7/23. I have a rain coat, layers, and water resistant shoes, but my pants are not waterproof. I am hoping it is not too heavy of rain. 

We are leaving temperatures in the 100 degree (and dry) range. so even though I prefer cooler weather,  I am sure 50’s will feel pretty frigid. 

Anyone know how warm the public spaces on the ships are kept. I am trying to decide if I need to bring capris and shorts or just long pants.

6 hours ago, imescaping said:

Anyone know how warm the public spaces on the ships are kept. I am trying to decide if I need to bring capris and shorts or just long pants.

We were on the venture in Iceland last September.  I wore lightweight sweaters and long pants inside.  I don't think you'll need shorts.

17 hours ago, imescaping said:

I have been checking the daily forecast. Highs in the mid to upper 50’s,  windy and chance of rain seems common.

We will be on the Ovation 7/23. I have a rain coat, layers, and water resistant shoes, but my pants are not waterproof. I am hoping it is not too heavy of rain. 

We are leaving temperatures in the 100 degree (and dry) range. so even though I prefer cooler weather,  I am sure 50’s will feel pretty frigid. 

I, too, am monitoring forecasts. We will be coming from even warm weather that Utah as we are in Scottsdale. AZ (forecast 120 degrees tomorrow in Phoenix).  So yeah. 50s Farenheit to us is really quite frigid.  Packing layers. The hikes are not long so also not bringing waterproof pants.  

We’ve sailed SA and Alaska on SB; the outside public spaces havs heaters so can usually sit out there, and indoor spaces always comfy, probably 70ish.  

Enjoy.  We’ll be boarding 7/30.  

Edited by Hobar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hobar said:

I, too, am monitoring forecasts. We will be coming from even warm weather that Utah as we are in Scottsdale. AZ (forecast 120 degrees tomorrow in Phoenix).  So yeah. 50s Farenheit to us is really quite frigid.  Packing layers. The hikes are not long so also not bringing waterproof pants.  

We’ve sailed SA and Alaska on SB; the outside public spaces havs heaters so can usually sit out there, and indoor spaces always comfy, probably 70ish.  

Enjoy.  We’ll be boarding 7/30

You begin when we end. Except we have 2 days in Reykjavik before flying home.

I am planning on enjoying this vacation rain, wind or shine.  We do a lot of travel with adult kids and grandkids. This is the first real leisure trip in about 4 years it’s just the hubby and me.

I also hope you have a wonderful time! 

• Like 1

Looking at booking (for next year Dover to Reykjavik (2 stops in Scotland) so interested in everyone's experiences over the next few weeks if you are able to post. Next years sailing will be on Sojourn (we have sailed on Odyssey so ship wise I know what to expect)

Bob

Hobar, looks like you might have had another thread you started.Here is what I posted on that one asking about whether packing for Iceland is similar to packing to Alaska:

Almost but not exactly. Heavier clothes for Alaska because of all the time on the water kayaking and in zodiacs.  More time on land in Iceland so thinner, less bulky layers better.  And on land you will be moving more so that alone will generate heat