Aurora - Good Solo Deal

Britboys

Just seen a post by the TA that many of us use announcing no solo supplement on the 30-night Aurora USA & Canada cruise this September. I expect a similar deal will be available direct from P&O and maybe other agents too. If I hadn't just committed to something in September I might well have looked at this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for this, my MIL would have been very interested if she was not on the following cruise. 49 nights was a few too many for her I think! Is there any way to search for non single supp fares?

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Just seen a post by the TA that many of us use announcing no solo supplement on the 30-night Aurora USA & Canada cruise this September. I expect a similar deal will be available direct from P&O and maybe other agents too. If I hadn't just committed to something in September I might well have looked at this.

Wow, that’s a good deal. I’m surprised that cruise isn’t near to full.

3 hours ago, Wonky said:

Thank you for this, my MIL would have been very interested if she was not on the following cruise. 49 nights was a few too many for her I think! Is there any way to search for non single supp fares?

Not that I know of. They are not that common most of the time. A good TA should have appropriate knowledge though. The P&O website has a section on solo travel which links to certain departures that may have a lower supplement.

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Wow, that’s a good deal. I’m surprised that cruise isn’t near to full.

Yes, normally a very popular itinerary. Maybe the average 'Aurora demographic' are still a little wary of long distance travel?

We are booked on that cruise, which of course is now past the time when balances had to be paid.  Although I cannot remember exact prices, the cost of the cruise had gone down a  below what we had paid at launch since then, but not a lot.  Iirc the prices stayed similar to that launch price until we paid the balance.  Although there were cabins available at a lower price recently, they were not in a location we would have wanted to book.

From a personal point of view, I am rather pleased that cheaper offers are going to solo travellers as the ship would not be completely full, which is always a good thing on P&O cruises since the ships do get crowded.  I admit that is a selfish view, but I am also happy to see solo travellers having a chance to book at a good price.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Britboys said:

These Canadian cruises normally hold their prices, I would like to think that P&O having made a good profit in this sailing so far are releasing a few cabins to solos who otherwise may be priced out of cruising to this part of the world, or am I being very naïve?

1 hour ago, Bill Y said:

These Canadian cruises normally hold their prices, I would like to think that P&O having made a good profit in this sailing so far are releasing a few cabins to solos who otherwise may be priced out of cruising to this part of the world, or am I being very naïve?

I have just done a mock booking and am surprised how many cabins are available in the standard balcony class.  No Deluxe Balconies available though.

We were booked on that itinerary for Sept 2020 and did not want to risk it last year, but booking this year seems fine.  Hope it all goes well, at least it looks like we will make Bar Harbor, but unlikely a ship the size of Aurora will be going there after this year, because of events regarding restrictions on cruise ships.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 9:53 AM, Bill Y said:

Sadly, I suspect you are being naïve. P&O certainly aren't benevolent toward solo pax, so I think it is more likely that there are quite a few cabins still available.