Flight Connection from US to Europe Question

If we cannot get a direct flight from the US into Copenhagen for the dates we are looking at, any suggestions as to which european city would be a good connection , ie least amount of problems for connections?

Thanks

Julia

Almost any European city would work fine as long as you have enough connecting time. I would go with the lost convenient flight times and best fares.

I usually end up flying through Franfurt, but that may be becuase of both United and Lufhtansa fly there from San Francisco.

I would think this depends on your departure city. We usually go through London, but Air France (I know, some people hate AF) is running a special on business class to Paris right now, so we are flying LAX-CDG business class

($2600 plus tax = $2750), and got an exceptional open jaw CDG-Copenhagen, Stockholm to CDG for $163!

We managed our connection through CDG, but it's not really a convenient airport to get around. Amsterdam's airport is good. Two airlines offer direct service to Copenhagen, SAS, and this summer Delta begins direct service to Copenhagen from Atltanta. Have you checked them both out?

Yes, we checked both but the fares are still high. Still advertising rates for spring. We have to connect at least once since we live in a fairly remote area in the northeast which isn't an issue. Typically we fly into either Detroit, Philadelphia or New York to get nonstop flights. Now we are even looking at Newark as an option.

First time last year we had to do a connection when returning from Europe. Rome to Amsterdam to Detroit and then onward to our local airport and it was a horror in Amsterdam. I don't know if it was the connection issues but we've traveled to Amsterdam previously and never had a problem so we chalked it up to a bad day.

Julia

Julia

Swdke is correct about CDG. If you transfer make sure you have plenty of time for the transfer. We have transfered there several times, missed the connection once and it was close on one. It was the final destination once and it took over an hour to get out of the airport for my ground transportation.

I'm a big fan of Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport for easy connections. Check out the Northwest/KLM partnership with Northwest or KLM flights from the U.S. to Amsterdam and then a KLM connecting flight into Copenhagen. Very efficient airport and good airlines.

The problem with Paris, and Air France in particular, is that you never know when the workers are going to go out on strike! I'd avoid that connection if you can.

If you want to go cheap, consider a ticket to London and then add on a ticket on Easyjet from London to Copenhagen. The latter can be booked on-line at: www.easyjet.com You can sometime save $100+ per person plus you can stopover in London if you'd care to add this to your jouney. (Not good for direct connections because of the need to change airports in London; and the train fares would eat up savings.)

BobK/Orlando

I'm a big fan of Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport for easy connections. Check out the Northwest/KLM partnership with Northwest or KLM flights from the U.S. to Amsterdam and then a KLM connecting flight into Copenhagen. Very efficient airport and good airlines.

The problem with Paris, and Air France in particular, is that you never know when the workers are going to go out on strike! I'd avoid that connection if you can.

If you want to go cheap, consider a ticket to London and then add on a ticket on Easyjet from London to Copenhagen. The latter can be booked on-line at: www.easyjet.com You can sometime save $100+ per person plus you can stopover in London if you'd care to add this to your jouney. (Not good for direct connections because of the need to change airports in London; and the train fares would eat up savings.)

BobK/Orlando

We've flown NWA many times and in fact they were the ones we flew back from Rome last year.We chalked it up to a bad day. NWA/KLM advertising spring sales right now. Haven't seen the summer sales yet (or will there be?)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Julia

We don't expect there to be much summer sale activity on Europe airfares. The high season begins around June 15th and the airlines continue to count on their European routes to make them money versus the bleeding on the domestic routes. If you can find anything below $1000 that may be as good as you're going to do. Scandinavia fares are always higher than the traditional European destinations. Do also consider Icelandair which flies to CPH via Iceland from a number of U.S. cities.

BobK/Orlando

Thanks for the tip on Icelandair.

Right now I'm checking using Continental and SAS connecting in Oslo. Just need to make sure we have enough connection time to go through immigration, collect baggage and recheck for the onward flights.

Julia

Archived