Walk to Southampton Mayflower terminal is possible

Wanted to contribute a bit since I got great answers to my questions.

For those wondering, it is possible to walk to the Southampton cruise terminal if you have an hotel nearby. We did it in June. Obviously only recommended for fit travelers, especially if it is hot. The taxi ride is cheap and everyone will recommend it, but if you want to walk, you can. To the Mayflower Terminal, google maps gives a pretty good itinerary, through Dock Gate 10, W Bay Rd, but you don't have to zig zag at the end, instead use Imperial Way.

We stayed at the AllAccord Novotel, basic rooms, but ok for a night. Other hotels nearby. We walked from the train station. They were rebuilding the access to the train station but it was a very easy walk. There are a few simple restaurants nearby, we also walked to the SeaCity Museum and did the Stonehenge Stone Circle Experience via a prebooked transfer with Paragon Taxi, exceptional service and on time.

• Thanks 1

Yes, Mayflower is fine for the 15 - 20 minute walk from the Ibis / Ibis Budget / Novotel grouping (Novotel is actually a cut above the other two) but it isn't the the most scenic of walks - much of it is within the docks. And for other hotels its a bit of a stretch with luggage.

Yes, only a drunk would follow Mr Google's zig-zag route thro the docks to Mayflower 😄

And yes, those hotels are just across the road from the train station and only a level five-minute walk from the coach station and closer to the SeaCity museum than all but one other hotel

But for City, Horizons and Ocean Cruise Terminals, and for the main shopping area, restaurants & pubs, old town & the waterfront hotels like the Moxy, Premier Inn West Quay, Holiday Inn are more convenient. 

No hotels are convenient for QE11 Cruise Terminal - it's deep in the docks and needs a taxi hop from anywhere in the city centre.

JB 🙂

Holiday inn is the easiest walk for Mayflower - we did it when we stayed there.  and added bonus if you are on the western side, you wake up in the morning and pull back the curtains and there is you ship! felt like  the cruise which was our first, a few years a go now,  started right there.

John Bull, we (5 persons) are coming in to the Southampton train station from London and was planning to walk to the Horizon cruise terminal with our luggage....wanted to know what you think, we are all in our 60's and don't mind walking....

Check the thumbnail map near the foot of this page

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_cruise_terminal.htm#hotels

1,2 & 3 are right opposite the station and the most convenient hotels for Horizons terminal. That's important if you're hauling luggage, especially as 5 plus luggage will need two cabs

4 to 8 + 16 are more convenient for the city's pubs, restaurants, shopping, its few old-town sights & waterfront.

I'd choose from that second batch, and altho they're all very walkable mebbe take taxi hops from the station & to the cruise terminal.

But I'm not you 😏

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

Thanks John for the information. We are coming in on the train to Southampton from London the morning of our cruise, so we won't need a hotel.  But having to take two taxis from the train station, I think we will attempt to walk to the Horizon terminal.

1 hour ago, fishman620 said:

John Bull, we (5 persons) are coming in to the Southampton train station from London and was planning to walk to the Horizon cruise terminal with our luggage....wanted to know what you think, we are all in our 60's and don't mind walking....

It’s a half mile walk and perfectly doable in 10 to 15 minutes, albeit not what you’d call scenic. There are pavements (sidewalks) all the way BUT it’s not signposted and it does involve crossing a couple of very busy roads at intersections (there are light-controlled crossings).

Put very simply you need to leave the train station by the exit on Platform 4, which most trains from London use, head right up the hill then left, and keep going. 

IMG_8344.thumb.png.a702ce9b79c0110e0a55ce61e2e9f9de.png

6 hours ago, fishman620 said:

Thanks John for the information. We are coming in on the train to Southampton from London the morning of our cruise, so we won't need a hotel.  But having to take two taxis from the train station, I think we will attempt to walk to the Horizon terminal.

My bad, I was still in the hotel mind-set.🙄

Yes, Horizons is closer than Mayflower, which number 921759 was happy to walk and as per gumshoe's response

Unless wet weather may change your minds 😏

JB 🙂