Aurora viewing in Summer

tempoct

Hi all,

I know I have slim chances for aurora viewing in Summer but I'd like to get some tricks to maximize this chance.

The farest north I will visit is Denali NP (stayed in Healy, Denali Park Hotel) for two nights. The sun will set pretty late and rise quite early on the next day; however, should I have some "sufficient" darkness for an hour or two? Says around 1.30a-2.30a?

Or, maybe from the cruise ship at night?

I originally booked the cruise on late August but changed to end of June due to weather condition concern (rain). Still, aurora viewing was one of my "must-do" in Alaska. I know that it will not be perfect in summer but maybe a slight sampler is good enogh until I visit next time.

:)

You have absolutely no chance of seeing the Northern Lights in June. The further north you go, the less dark there is, and a dark sky is the key to seeing them. They can't be seen from about mid-April until mid-August.

Murray

So, it never get dark? Twilight all night long?

What about in the water and on cruise ship?

I meant, if the solar weather is strong enough (i.e. aurora maximized), should be some even with twilight?

Hear in Southcentral no around summer solitice when we get 19 1/2 hours of sunlight, it never really gets dark, just goes twilight, if even twilight.

Want to learn more about aurora activity here's a link http://www.gi.alaska.edu/aurora_predict/about.html and they even do forecasts http://www.gi.alaska.edu/cgi-bin/predict.cgi

Susan in Anchorage :)

Best I've ever seen have been those extra cold winter nights. And living in the city, usually don't get anything but the greens. Has to do with those pesky street lights that we need. Like to walk the dog after work during the winter :D

Except in the winter, when it's the Land of the Midnight Dark :D

Can't even imagine living in Barrow where the sun goes down in November and doesn't come back to March :eek:

Thank you all :)

Yukon, it's not that I don't believe u but just wanna make sure I have 1% or 0% :) I fully trusted u since I WILL be using your guide on Skagway-Emerald lake :D :D

NOT a chance for Aurora in June. If it was your priority, you made a mistake changing your timeframe from late August- good chance and you have misinformation about the rain. It is my most traveled time in Alaska, EVERY year I go in that timeframe and never have been "rained" out in interior Alaska. Many many wonderful days. AND sometimes aurora, including my last trip.

For other's with the priority, you need end of August into Sept in Alaska. Fairbanks is the prime area, but you need out of the city for superior viewing. I have viewed from Healy many times. Best is to DAILY, check the web predictions. You need a DARK CLEAR night, meaning no clouds and full star views. Full moons can deminish. Biggest factor to consider is TIME, don't expect to overnight in Fairbanks and get views, better to have at least 3 nights and hope for the best. You need to invest time outside for several hours. I have been blessed with several wonderful views, but the best were in the winter, just fantastic. :)

Thank you all again :)

Yes, the aurora is high priority but potentially much better weather is higher priority :)

I'll come back to Alaska for sure so it will be my next trip. Probably, I'll try to catch fall color and aurora in my next trip :D

Archived