ACROPOLIS CLOSED DUE TO EXTREME HEAT

edinburgher

A temporary closure so far.

A heads up for those scheduled to visit in the next few days.

Today (Friday 14th) apparently with little or no warning,  local authorities in Athens temporarily closed the Acropolis between 12 noon and 5pm, the hottest hours of the day, to protect tourists from the extreme heat which is currently affecting several southern areas of Med countries.

There has been no official word as yet (that I know of at the time of writing this) as to whether this is a "one off" or if it will be repeated on other days, as temps are expected to rise further over the next few days.There are multiple online news reports so may be quite easy to check the situation on the day of your planned visit.

An already extremely busy tourist sight/site, you could probably expect the hours before noon and after 5pm to be even busier as tourists may reschedule their visits to outside the noon to 5pm times "just in case".

Edited by edinburgher

It happens a few times every year, edinburgher.

I and others on this forum always suggest making it the first stop of the day - even tho' afternoon closures aren't common, both the climb and the lack of decent shade make afternoons a much less pleasant experience on hot days

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

It happens a few times every year, edinburgher.

JB Happy to learn something new each day as  I was unaware of that, but if that is not at all unknown, why did yesterday's closure get picked up by so many news channels around the world , including CNN, SKY, REUTERS, BBC and others?

Anyway, I was only trying to give a "heads up" as some pax would perhaps want to keep tabs on possible closures and consider tweaking their itinerary for their Athens port call if their planned visit fell within these hours.

Edited by edinburgher

7 hours ago, edinburgher said:

JB Happy to learn something new each day as  I was unaware of that, but if that is not at all unknown, why did yesterday's closure get picked up by so many news channels around the world , including CNN, SKY, REUTERS, BBC and others?

Anyway, I was only trying to give a "heads up" as some pax would perhaps want to keep tabs on possible closures and consider tweaking their itinerary for their Athens port call if their planned visit fell within these hours.

I think probably that's because the heatwave affecting much of the Med is exceptional, making it newsworthy.

And consequent temporary afternoon closures of the Acropolis bring that home - even tho' over the years they've been a factor from time to time.

JB 🙂

On 7/14/2023 at 5:49 PM, edinburgher said:

There has been no official word as yet (that I know of at the time of writing this) as to whether this is a "one off" or if it will be repeated on other days, as temps are expected to rise further over the next few days.There are multiple online news reports so may be quite easy to check the situation on the day of your planned visit.

I'm close to someone who is an Athens native, heading off for another family visit next week, and who is always surprised that his parents (or other family) are unaware of certain major events happening in/around Greece. They are not unsophisticated people. 

Some of the news subjects we get aren't making it out locally, It's not censorship/banning, they're just not talking about certain things. The editors are probably under some pressure to hold back. 

The country is also still recovering from economic turmoil, there are extreme policies still in place (and why some people also still think burying their money in the backyard is better than putting it in the bank).  You'd understand if I told you the stories from his days doing service in the military... can't make this stuff up. 😂

Visitors have to stay connected to outside info sources, whether it's via VPN and international news or calling home, to be aware of current info on health alerts/advisories. Openings and closings will be off the cuff and unpredictable. 

In an article today, it sounds like there are emergency teams across southern Europe, including Greece, working to assist folks who might be in danger (seniors, kids, infirm) due to the heat because most people do not have a/c so finding places to cool off won't be easy, but for some, cool is relative and know how to cope with high heat. (It's always pretty hot in southern Italy this time of year). 

Some of these temp reports are alarming, but everyone, each place is different so everyone should look after themselves and each other as they go. Extremes are always something to consider when making plans, just consider options and alternatives, and being safe. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

ho is always surprised that his parents (or other family) are unaware of certain major events happening in/around Greece. They are not unsophisticated people. 

Some of the news subjects we get aren't making it out locally, It's not censorship/banning, they're just not talking about certain things. The editors are probably under some pressure to hold back. 

Locals will only be aware of the news they have access to, as are we. I am sure there are events happening in the UK which we residents are not aware of as they don't get reported.....

At the time I posted, the situation was very fluid and I could only post what was being reported and had thought that cruise pax intending to visit should be aware of the  possibility of a partial closure especially as their time in Athens is usually short.. The authorities were presumbly concerned about the health and safety of tourists and staff, as locals would be more sensible and if at all possible not venture out at the hottest part of the day when the temperatues were much higher than normal. Tourists do not always show common sense! I just now looked at the Acropolis website and  it isn't yet possible to buy tickets timed between noon and 1730.so it has been closed during those times for a good few days now and will presumably continue until the heat subsides at least a little.. And a few days ago, it was reported here that the Greek authorities were closing  ALL outdoor archaeological sites across Greece during the same hottest times of the day. I don't actually know how true that was, nor for how long it was in place.

And in addition, the wildfires especially on Rhodes (and more minor ones on Crete and Evia) Reported here several times a day on various news channels since the weekend, possibly as so many tourists had been given refuge in sports halls, conference centres etc. when their hotels burned down.  And now being evacuated on special repatriation flights. It also made our news  because flights taking holidaymakers to Rhodes have been cancelled at this, the busiest time of year for Brits going on holiday and it affected several thousands. . I wonder how much of that is being reported in Greece.

so everyone should look after themselves and each other as they go.  ABSOLUTELY!

And show common sense in the heat and not complain about spoiled holidays when so many locals have lost homes and businesses at the busiest time of year when a good income is essential to help them through the quiet winter months.  it is very sad for everyone.

Edited by edinburgher