Iona 8-15th July - advice for wheelchair users

RollingAround

Hi all!

fresh off Iona this morning and I wanted to share a couple of points. 

First time on Iona, we were due to travel on her in 2020 but guess what 😝

so we made it eventually.  Lovely ship. Fully loaded and on embarkation day it definitely felt like it. 

couple of small pointers for wheelchair users in their fully accessible cabins:

(1) great size cabins with fully electronic opening and closing doors.  The doors are a great thing except they are very slow to close; we had to wait around for a good 10 seconds or more to make sure the cabin door was closed on leaving to explore.  Also if you want a quick number one the door takes an eternity to close in the bathroom so you’re hanging around (as companion to a wheelchair user) for awhile before you can start to tinkle in privacy

(2) if you hang a towel on the towel rail in the bathroom, the sensor on the door will see it and the door will constantly keep opening and trying to close until you move it.  We didn’t know this until we reported it, then eventually had to ask our steward.  You can hang a towel at the far end of the rail but not close to the door. 

(3) storage in the bathroom is not at a suitable height for wheelchair users.  We balanced a soap bag at the back of the sink.  (Sink moves up and down which is great!) 

(4) bathroom size is great, all facilities otherwise very good for wheelchair user

(5) balcony size is great, we found it bigger than Azura last year and the electric opening doors very easy to use.  

(6) access round the ship is good, you might have to wait a while for a lift that you can fit in, but otherwise we didn’t come across any access issues. 

(7) pool hoist was broken on our trip (!) but if you wish to use it you need to book at reception.  It’s usable at all pools (we were recommended the beachcomber pool by the pool attendant), and some of the hot tubs.  If you spot a square plate on the edge of the hot tub it can be set up there.  You need allow minimum of half an hour to get it set up and it requires 4-5 staff to use it.  Sadly we didn’t get chance as the battery on it was broken. 

(8) staff generally helpful, fantastic service in Epicurean when my husband asked for the meat to be cut into bite size pieces as he can’t use both hands.   Staff in Horizon buffet also helpful although they tended to ask the companion “does he need help”. I got the same question on re-entry into the ship where I was told to tell my husband to go through the security arch.  I told the staff member that he can hear and speak.   Staff  very helpful on and off the galleys on the stops.  

(8) at Olden the little trolley / road train was great but only 1 of 4 vehicles have a ramp. We ended up waiting an hour but it was a nice little tour round. 

(9) for the theatre we used starboard entrance level 7 and took the spots at the back, great views.  

Hope that’s of help!

we were in 12516 and this balcony is overlooked by the larger balcony in 12514.

Luckily they were lovely people and we had many a good chat with them as we watched the world go by. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RollingAround said:

Hi all!

so we made it eventually.  Lovely ship. Fully loaded and on embarkation day it definitely felt like it. 

(1) great size cabins with fully electronic opening and closing doors.  The doors are a great thing except they are very slow to close; we had to wait around for a good 10 seconds or more to make sure the cabin door was closed on leaving to explore.  Also if you want a quick number one the door takes an eternity to close in the bathroom so you’re hanging around (as companion to a wheelchair user) for awhile before you can start to tinkle in privacy

(2) if you hang a towel on the towel rail in the bathroom, the sensor on the door will see it and the door will constantly keep opening and trying to close until you move it.  We didn’t know this until we reported it, then eventually had to ask our steward.  You can hang a towel at the far end of the rail but not close to the door. 

(3) storage in the bathroom is not at a suitable height for wheelchair users.  We balanced a soap bag at the back of the sink.  (Sink moves up and down which is great!) 

(4) bathroom size is great, all facilities otherwise very good for wheelchair user

(5) balcony size is great, we found it bigger than Azura last year and the electric opening doors very easy to use.  

(6) access round the ship is good, you might have to wait a while for a lift that you can fit in, but otherwise we didn’t come across any access issues. 

(7) pool hoist was broken on our trip (!) but if you wish to use it you need to book at reception.  It’s usable at all pools (we were recommended the beachcomber pool by the pool attendant), and some of the hot tubs.  If you spot a square plate on the edge of the hot tub it can be set up there.  You need allow minimum of half an hour to get it set up and it requires 4-5 staff to use it.  Sadly we didn’t get chance as the battery on it was broken. 

(8) staff generally helpful, fantastic service in Epicurean when my husband asked for the meat to be cut into bite size pieces as he can’t use both hands.   Staff in Horizon buffet also helpful although they tended to ask the companion “does he need help”. I got the same question on re-entry into the ship where I was told to tell my husband to go through the security arch.  I told the staff member that he can hear and speak.   Staff  very helpful on and off the galleys on the stops.  

(8) at Olden the little trolley / road train was great but only 1 of 4 vehicles have a ramp. We ended up waiting an hour but it was a nice little tour round. 

(9) for the theatre we used starboard entrance level 7 and took the spots at the back, great views.  

Hope that’s of help!

Luckily they were lovely people and we had many a good chat with them as we watched the world go by. 

That’s immensely helpful advice. Thank you. We are on Iona next month and my wife is a full time wheelchair user, so we shall take all of this into consideration. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RollingAround said:

pool hoist was broken on our trip (!) but if you wish to use it you need to book at reception.  It’s usable at all pools (we were recommended the beachcomber pool by the pool attendant), and some of the hot tubs.  If you spot a square plate on the edge of the hot tub it can be set up there.  You need allow minimum of half an hour to get it set up and it requires 4-5 staff to use it.  Sadly we didn’t get chance as the battery on it was broken. 

Official recommendation is 2 hours notice but usually 30 minutes is enough.

It usually only takes two people to set it up and operate unless they are taking the opportunity to train someone.

They should have a spare battery so sad that they could swap it out quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Official recommendation is 2 hours notice but usually 30 minutes is enough.

It usually only takes two people to set it up and operate unless they are taking the opportunity to train someone.

They should have a spare battery so sad that they could swap it out quickly.

Ah that’s interesting! Reception said 4-5 people to set up 🤣 

We were told they needed parts for it.  So doesn’t seem they had a spare on board. Bit as it happens the weather wasn’t great so in the end the pool didn’t seem appealing! 

3 minutes ago, RollingAround said:

Ah that’s interesting! Reception said 4-5 people to set up 🤣 

We were told they needed parts for it.  So doesn’t seem they had a spare on board. Bit as it happens the weather wasn’t great so in the end the pool didn’t seem appealing! 

Reception are wrong. I’ve sat and watched it be set-up, used and dismantled. Two people and that’s only really to lift it on and off.l the base.

As for weather, it also works on the indoor dome pool.

If they insist it’s 4-5 people once fixed, remind them that UK disability legislation requires them to find that many people with reasonable notice. They deem 2hrs reasonable notice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RollingAround said:

Hi all!

Hope that’s of help!

I'm glad you had a great time and found the accessible facilities to your liking, in the main. Iona and Arvia, although not perfect, are miles ahead of the rest of the fleet for accessibility.

I cannot fathom out why the designer of the accessible bathrooms thought the rail that high up and near the door was a good idea. Firstly, it's useless for a wheelchair user. Secondly, as you say, you can't put anything on it as it interferes with the door.

When we were on Arvia the first time, there were an able bodied couple in the accessible cabin next to us. One night we left the cabin to go to dinner and I'm standing against the wall opposite, waiting for the door to close. At the same time, the guy next door comes out, but he stands too close to his door, so it doesn't close. Next, his missus, obviously thinking the door is shut, comes into view in just her bra and pants, saw me and jumped back out of view. Boy, did her old man get what for!😄

When we were in Olden in June, I counted seven land choo-choos but I think there were more. Although some had different livery, they were all operated by the same company, Olden Sightseeing. Of the seven I counted, four had the ramps at the back.  The cycle appeared to be one accessible one, followed by a non-accessible one, and so on. Perhaps, when you were there they may have used less, or the cycle was out of sync.

We've lost count the number of times folk talk to me rather than our lass.  My usual response is, "Her legs don't work, but her ears and mouth work just fine".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TigerB said:

I'm glad you had a great time and found the accessible facilities to your liking, in the main. Iona and Arvia, although not perfect, are miles ahead of the rest of the fleet for accessibility.

I cannot fathom out why the designer of the accessible bathrooms thought the rail that high up and near the door was a good idea. Firstly, it's useless for a wheelchair user. Secondly, as you say, you can't put anything on it as it interferes with the door.

When we were on Arvia the first time, there were an able bodied couple in the accessible cabin next to us. One night we left the cabin to go to dinner and I'm standing against the wall opposite, waiting for the door to close. At the same time, the guy next door comes out, but he stands too close to his door, so it doesn't close. Next, his missus, obviously thinking the door is shut, comes into view in just her bra and pants, saw me and jumped back out of view. Boy, did her old man get what for!😄

When we were in Olden in June, I counted seven land choo-choos but I think there were more. Although some had different livery, they were all operated by the same company, Olden Sightseeing. Of the seven I counted, four had the ramps at the back.  The cycle appeared to be one accessible one, followed by a non-accessible one, and so on. Perhaps, when you were there they may have used less, or the cycle was out of sync.

We've lost count the number of times folk talk to me rather than our lass.  My usual response is, "Her legs don't work, but her ears and mouth work just fine".

Oh dear that’s unfortunate with the door opening 🤣 

thanks for your Olden experience, on the day we arrived they told us they were running 4 land trains and only one with ramp.  I don’t know why they didn’t offer more with a full ship!  But we enjoyed it anyway. 

We travelled on Azura last year for our first cruise and we found accessibility to be pretty good, the pool hoist was fixed by one pool but fully working, I think it was a manual one vs electric, they pumped a handle to move it up and down.  The balcony on Azura wasn’t as good as Iona, it was much smaller and tricky to turn round on.   But we would travel on Azura again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RollingAround said:

Oh dear that’s unfortunate with the door opening 🤣 

thanks for your Olden experience, on the day we arrived they told us they were running 4 land trains and only one with ramp.  I don’t know why they didn’t offer more with a full ship!  But we enjoyed it anyway. 

We travelled on Azura last year for our first cruise and we found accessibility to be pretty good, the pool hoist was fixed by one pool but fully working, I think it was a manual one vs electric, they pumped a handle to move it up and down.  The balcony on Azura wasn’t as good as Iona, it was much smaller and tricky to turn round on.   But we would travel on Azura again. 

That's poor with the land choo-choo service; it's not as if your arrival was out of season.  Perhaps they also use them at other locations, and on our visit there weren't any ships in elsewhere, so they brought them all to us.

We've not been on Azura, mainly because my wife prefers not to fly these days. We've found Britannia to have good accessible cabins, but Arvia and Iona have much better facilities.  By the way, for those two bigger ships, if you ever considered an inside cabin you shouldn't necessarily discount them because they are classed as partially accessible. Depending on the size of your husband's chair and how you have the bed configuration, they may be suitable for you. We've stayed in them twice, and they've been fine.  That said, the balconies of the accessible cabins on those ships are great.

• Thanks 1