Why such early final payment deadline?

MomC

We are new to Viking and will be sailing our first Viking Ocean cruise in December.  We, too, have sailed a variety of cruise lines including Regent, Oceania, and others.  Each time we have booked a cruise, we understand the terms and conditions (as much as possible for people who are not lawyers, involved in writing contracts ...) to ensure that we understand the requirements to sail on the line.  Viking Ocean make it very clear what the time lines are for payment.  Sometimes, there are exceptions to the payment schedule if more than one cruise is booked, but those terms might change if one chooses to change that booking over to the same, specific cruise that is on sale or offering additional benefits.  At that time, there might be a cancellation penalty, but the terms of cancellation are also well laid out in the Viking literature.

So, I guess my question for those individuals who consider passengers who book Viking as being "gullible", what makes us "gullible"?  We, at least my DH and I, understand the terms and conditions of Viking, much the same as "All Included"; "Brochure Price" along with "Two for One", ... on other lines.

A specific line/cruise is a choice.  Obviously, Viking Ocean is not a good fit for you Tangakid.  Wishing you a fabulous sailing on the Vista! 

Edited by mariners
  • Like 3

Maybe gullible isn't the right word, but if I booked another Viking cruise today I would feel they were taking unreasonable advantage. It wouldn't have bothered me a couple of years ago, but with current interest rates it amounts to a substantial price increase. And it seems a bit smarmy of them to bury that effective increase in the prepayment date instead of just upping the price and having shorter final payment dates like other lines.

But as @mariners indicates, you've got to evaluate the whole package and decide if it's worth it, including the bad taste that some of the terms leave in your mouth. Even with the stealth price increase from prepayment, Viking is a pretty good value.

• Like 1

The only way to truly avoid a far-in-advance payment is to book just a few months before the cruise you are interested in.  And always have a Plan B, if that cabin class or cruise is sold out.

In October 2023 we booked "In Search of the Northern Lights" departing March 2024, with final payment due early November 2023.  Approximately 120 days in advance.

If the cabin or cruise was unavailable, our Plan B was to do an independent land trip.

We are interested in going on a Viking River cruise to Egypt in the fall of 2025.  No way we will book, or pay in full, before early 2025.

• Like 1

We only paid far in advance the once.  We have always had one additional future Viking cruise on hold (deposit) and when you do that you get 6 month payment terms in Canada and the USA.  This used to mean however that you gave Viking $500 pp or $1000.00 in deposit.

So, we have taken advantage of the $25 deposit and have a future cruise booked now for 2025 and we will book something further out as soon as dates allow and hope that the $25 deposit is still a promo... then we continue to have 6 month payment from sailing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HUNKY said:

The only way to truly avoid a far-in-advance payment is to book just a few months before the cruise you are interested in.  And always have a Plan B, if that cabin class or cruise is sold out.

In October 2023 we booked "In Search of the Northern Lights" departing March 2024, with final payment due early November 2023.  Approximately 120 days in advance.

If the cabin or cruise was unavailable, our Plan B was to do an independent land trip.

We are interested in going on a Viking River cruise to Egypt in the fall of 2025.  No way we will book, or pay in full, before early 2025.

As @CDNPolar implies above, since you have a 2024 cruise booked, you should be able to now book your Nile cruise for fall 2025 and ask for final payment to be 6 months in advance meaning early 2025.  We have done this many times.  You must ask for this push out before making a deposit. 

You can also get a 6 month final payment if you book just after getting off another Viking cruise.  And in either case any Viking cruise - ocean, river, or expedition- counts.

• Like 2